• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the first round go back to best-of-five?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "money" excuse is the biggest beaten-to-death cop-out excuse of them all.

It's not an excuse when it's a fact. Whatever makes the league the most money is what they are going to do. Even if every first round series were a 4-0 sweep (which, to my knowledge, has never happened) that 1 extra game per series means a lot of money to the league. As I said in my previous post, these games aren't being played in half empty arenas.

You can complain about the quality of the games all that you want, but unless and until people stop showing up to watch them, we're probably lucky that the NBA isn't looking to expand the playoffs further.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an excuse when it's a fact. Whatever makes the league the most money is what they are going to do. Even if every first round series were a 4-0 sweep (which, to my knowledge, has never happened) that 1 extra game per series means a lot of money to the league. As I said in my previous post, these games aren't being played in half empty arenas.

You can complain about the quality of the games all that you want, but unless and until people stop showing up to watch them, we're probably lucky that the NBA isn't looking to expand the playoffs further.

Using this same "logic", I guess the NFL should eliminate wild-card byes. After all, more games equals more money. That's the whole point of any business.:whistle:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using this same "logic", I guess the NFL should eliminate wild-card byes. After all, more games equals more money. That's the whole point of any business.:whistle:

Why do you think the NFL has gone to a 16 game season and expanded the playoffs to include wild card teams in the first place?

Btw, the NFL has been considering expanding the playoffs for about the last 3-4 seasons but it has to be collectively bargained and safety issues have to be considered.

Nice try though.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all on board with that. You get your home field advantage, why have a bye.
But as Trojan pointed out, the NFL players union has a little more pull in the matter than the NBA player union. I'm sure if it was just up to the owners we would have an 18 game season and no first round bye in the NFL.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the NBA went to a best of 3, Love and Irving injuries still would happen

While technically this is true, it certainly didn't help their cause playing those two meaningless games in Boston. Just added more wear and tear.

Kyrie Irving, a player built on speed and quickness, has never been able to stay healthy for a full season at any level (HS maybe). Now y'all expect him to hold up for an 82 game season plus the 7-7-7-7 Playoff format???

Today's game is built too much on speed and athleticism for our players' bodies to hold up that long.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And had it been a 5 Game Series, the Spurs, not the Clippers, would have advanced.

I wouldn't have had a problem with the Spurs advancing instead of the Clippers. They certainly wouldn't have let Houston off the hook like the Clippers did.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have had a problem with the Spurs advancing instead of the Clippers. They certainly wouldn't have let Houston off the hook like the Clippers did.

I'm pretty sure you know where I stand on that as well. lol

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omg yes.

the best of 7 is way too long, especially when you have tehse dominant higher rated seeds playing these lower seeds that sometimes have losing records going into the playoffs.

I don't need to see Cleveland destroy some 8th seeded East team with a losing record 4 straight times in a borefest.

best of 5 was awesome, and actually provides more chance of upsets. Usually, usually your only good first round match ups are the 4/5 3/6. But again, best of 7 is just too long for round 1.

Would love to see them go back to best of 5.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Omg yes.

the best of 7 is way too long, especially when you have tehse dominant higher rated seeds playing these lower seeds that sometimes have losing records going into the playoffs.

I don't need to see Cleveland destroy some 8th seeded East team with a losing record 4 straight times in a borefest.

best of 5 was awesome, and actually provides more chance of upsets. Usually, usually your only good first round match ups are the 4/5 3/6. But again, best of 7 is just too long for round 1.

Would love to see them go back to best of 5.

Finally, someone without a fixed perspective was able to post on this thread. LOL

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it should go back to a best of 5. Also it should go back and forth between the 2 teams. not 2+2+1 format I want to see 1+1+1+1+1 format.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not 2+2+1 format I want to see 1+1+1+1+1 format.

I hope you're kidding. That would make a 5 game series longer than a 7 game series with the travel days in between.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you're kidding. That would make a 5 game series longer than a 7 game series with the travel days in between.
yes but more rest for the players and a little more fair format.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes but more rest for the players and a little more fair format.

Sooo, a longer post season with fewer games. That'll be a huge hit.:thumb:

And why does the format need to be more "fair?" Why try to diminish HCA?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooo, a longer post season with fewer games. That'll be a huge hit.:thumb:

And why does the format need to be more "fair?" Why try to diminish HCA?
Just my opinion. I like it. Its just like in a best of 7 2-3-2 format favors the away team. They need to change formats. I guess u are right about the fair point in the 1st rd. There should be a disadvantage.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion. I like it. Its just like in a best of 7 2-3-2 format favors the away team. They need to change formats. I guess u are right about the fair point in the 1st rd. There should be a disadvantage.

While I do understand the point of going back to the 5 game format, there's just no way that will happen. Playoffs only expand or stay out, they never contract. There's too much money involved.

Like I said earlier, if those extra first round games were being played in half empty arenas, then there might be a possibility. But they're not. Even the tv ratings aren't too bad for first round games because there are enough junkies like those of us on this board who will watch.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do understand the point of going back to the 5 game format, there's just no way that will happen. Playoffs only expand or stay out, they never contract. There's too much money involved.

Like I said earlier, if those extra first round games were being played in half empty arenas, then there might be a possibility. But they're not. Even the tv ratings aren't too bad for first round games because there are enough junkies like those of us on this board who will watch.
oh I agree no way NBA would do it because of money. Only way is if the players took a stand and I don't see that.