• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Russell Wilson get a huge contract?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is going to be greedy in some way. Whether it is greedy for the money, greedy for the location, or greedy for wanting to win. I'm sure there were several factor driving his decision to sign the deal he did, what was the biggest factor we can only speculate. But ultimately he signed a team friendly deal and there is no denying that, so to say that he didn't take into consideration his team is just pure hatred of him. If RW signs the same deal what are you gonna say? Was it all for himself or did he consider the team?

Calm down with the 'blinded by hate' talk. I never said that he didn't consider his team. But the lack of guaranteed money for a franchise type QB contract, IMO, indicates that the team out leveraged him.

I just think that the niners stood tough on an offer that mostly benefited them and instead of chancing another year, he took it.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calm down with the 'blinded by hate' talk. I never said that he didn't consider his team. But the lack of guaranteed money for a franchise type QB contract, IMO, indicates that the team out leveraged him.

I just think that the niners stood tough on an offer that mostly benefited them and instead of chancing another year, he took it.

But are you going to say the same if RW takes the same contract this offseason or will you give all the credit to him being a team first guy?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But are you going to say the same if RW takes the same contract this offseason or will you give all the credit to him being a team first guy?

I don't know what to expect, but we already know that Wilson isn't all about the money since he turned down a million dollars to play baseball before he was even drafted to play football. That had to take some guts for a kid to turn down that kind of money on the chance that he might be able to play professional football. What it tells me is that he isn't driven by cash as much as some others are. He'll still want to get paid but I wouldn't be surprised if he took a bit less than expected.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to expect, but we already know that Wilson isn't all about the money since he turned down a million dollars to play baseball before he was even drafted to play football. That had to take some guts for a kid to turn down that kind of money on the chance that he might be able to play professional football. What it tells me is that he isn't driven by cash as much as some others are. He'll still want to get paid but I wouldn't be surprised if he took a bit less than expected.

He wasn't much of a NFL prospect coming out of NC State so baseball probably looked like his best chance at the time. It was his ridiculous year at Wisconsin that really put him on the map.

That being said, he should be resigned and they need to get an offensive coordinator that's able to put together something he can work with. Even if Bevell isn't as awful as I make him out to be, it's still pretty clear that he and Wilson just don't work together very well and his growth has completely stagnated.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Wilson signs the same contract as Kap, fuck yeah I would look at the lack of a guarantee and assume that he didn't want it structured that way. Big guarantees is where its at. Players will take less overall for more upfront. I know that it makes for nice narratives to assume that players take less for the overall good, but these negotations, just like all negotations come down to leverage. Kaep took less up front, and on the back end of a year to year deal, I dont expect the same for Wilson, he has more leverage than that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does Wilson have to throw the ball to right now ? Baldwin is the only real reliable guy ....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be shocked if Wilson doesn't get more guaranteed money than Kaep did.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson should get paid and i hope he does for what he has accomplished for this franchise. 18 mil would be great but its probably going to cost around 20 to 23 mil a year. Whatever the cost it needs to be done cause franchise QB's are almost impossible to come by these days.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Russell is worth about 13-15 mil a year. But the market will value him around 18-19 mil and even 20+ if he finishes the year strong. Players rarely ever get paid what theyre worth these days, its always the market that determines the price.

I hope russell takes like 16 or 17. I would still sign him at 20...heck 24. I wouldnt want to lose him. But russell at a 20+ price tag really hurts the team

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players rarely ever get paid what theyre worth these days, its always the market that determines the price.

I'm not sure you understand what "worth" means.

He's "worth" whatever he can get on from the market. That pretty much the definition of worth.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure you understand what "worth" means.

He's "worth" whatever he can get on from the market. That pretty much the definition of worth.

What I mean is worth based on talent and production.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,261.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes wilson does belong a huge contract. the seahawks would not be defending superbowl champs without him. plan and simple

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about top 5 QB money, but Wilson definitely deserves a decent contract. At least get him lined up with some kind of "prove it" deal that allows the team to cut ties with him before the big cash kicks in, just in case he isn't ultimately worth top dollar.

All that said, Wilson is a very good QB. Not off the charts amazing, but very good, and could be quite dangerous if Seattle ever put a decent supporting cast around him. There are many teams in the league that would love to have him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is worth based on talent and production.

Tough to judge what talent and production is worth. Is production leading your team to a SB victory? Or is it putting up huge passing #? Is it making a clutch first down by running for it, or does only passing for a first down count.Does talent at WRs and OL come into play or should you discount that ?

If you go by team results, the Seahawks have been a playoff team since Russell Wilson became the starting QB. I feel RW has done his part in this success, far more then most QBs around the league. So he is worth what ever it takes to sign him. Sure it would be nice to be able to sign your franchise QB for less then what the market would pay him, but that just a fantasy. Surely nobody wants to have looking for the next franchise QB? It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, or going with some retread that is "good enough".

It really shouldn't even be a question.....pay the man.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about top 5 QB money, but Wilson definitely deserves a decent contract. At least get him lined up with some kind of "prove it" deal that allows the team to cut ties with him before the big cash kicks in, just in case he isn't ultimately worth top dollar.

All that said, Wilson is a very good QB. Not off the charts amazing, but very good, and could be quite dangerous if Seattle ever put a decent supporting cast around him. There are many teams in the league that would love to have him.

The "prove it" deal won't work. He's already accomplished winning a SB so his agent will throw that right off the table. The problem is the Romo, Cutler and Dalton contracts of the world that RW's agent will use as leverage. Us Hawks fans just hope that RW's agent does not go for the "breaking the bank" contract and starts the talks reasonably.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would Wilson sign a" prove it deal"?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should get a market rate deal in terms of length and overall money...the caveat is how the so called guaranteed money is worded...a deal similar to Kaep's is what I would expect....loaded with "roster bonuses".

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should get a market rate deal in terms of length and overall money...the caveat is how the so called guaranteed money is worded...a deal similar to Kaep's is what I would expect....loaded with "roster bonuses".

No way in hell is Russell Wilson signing a deal like Kaeps, he doesn't need to, plain and simple.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way in hell is Russell Wilson signing a deal like Kaeps, he doesn't need to, plain and simple.

Yeah, a Kap type deal would be insulting.
Russell should get somewhere in the top 5 contracts for QB's. He is a proven winner. And this season he has done quite a bit with not a lot of help or time.

How about 300 million for 15 years. Make a statement! In the end it will be a bargain. Remember Magic Johnson's deal, 25 million for 25 years? Everyone thought it was outrageous. And they re negotiated it early on because the price just keeps going up.

I like spending other peoples money!