• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Russell Wilson get a huge contract?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get me wrong I want wilson to be our QB for the next decade but his passing numbers really dont justify a mega deal like top 5 in the NFL, he shouldnt be asking for top 5 QB money if he isnt playing like a top 5 QB I dont think he should be a 20mil a year guy. I like Russell a lot but he isnt a super QB that can make avg WRs great like rodgers, manning, or brees. I hope he understands that if he wants to win he should take a little less and bring in some talent to help this football team because this passing game is awful and this OL hasnt been good.

What does everyone think?

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to,,,his oline being the worst in the league, his receivin core being worst in the league and his lack of accuracy have lead to a terrible, reason were losing passing game

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I guarantee there teams out there that would love to sign Wilson to a long term deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to,,,his oline being the worst in the league, his receivin core being worst in the league and his lack of accuracy have lead to a terrible, reason were losing passing game

I agree. We've seen how accurate he can be when he has even a mediocre Oline and receiving corp. Our current WR's try hard but just aren't good enough right now. I don't think Russell even needs a Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones, I'd be happy with some Sydney Rice/Golden Tate types. At least they can catch. Baldwin is the only guy I really trust anymore to catch a tough ball. Kearse was great last year but seems to have regressed.

So to make a short story long, yes, I think Wilson should get a big contract. Probably not a top 5 money contract but something close to that tier of guys.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get me wrong I want wilson to be our QB for the next decade but his passing numbers really dont justify a mega deal like top 5 in the NFL, he shouldnt be asking for top 5 QB money if he isnt playing like a top 5 QB I dont think he should be a 20mil a year guy. I like Russell a lot but he isnt a super QB that can make avg WRs great like rodgers, manning, or brees. I hope he understands that if he wants to win he should take a little less and bring in some talent to help this football team because this passing game is awful and this OL hasnt been good.

What does everyone think?

Wilson is no worse this year than he was in his first two seasons. Heck, he might be better now, you just wouldn't know because his offensive line has been so bad this year. He is definitely one of the best QB's in the league. If he's not top 5, he's just outside of it.

I think he's gonna paid $20 million/year on a long term contract. He deserves it. This will be his first chance to get a big contract, so I don't see him giving a discount to any team.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is worth it if bevell gets canned and they finally add real talent to the OL. We know how good he can be when he isn't running for his life every down.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is no worse this year than he was in his first two seasons. Heck, he might be better now, you just wouldn't know because his offensive line has been so bad this year. He is definitely one of the best QB's in the league. If he's not top 5, he's just outside of it.

I think he's gonna paid $20 million/year on a long term contract. He deserves it. This will be his first chance to get a big contract, so I don't see him giving a discount to any team.

my point exactly so shouldnt he take less to bring in some better players to help this offense? I mean Kaep did he took A LOT less guarenteed money and they brought in some free agents to help him out

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my point exactly so shouldnt he take less to bring in some better players to help this offense? I mean Kaep did he took A LOT less guarenteed money and they brought in some free agents to help him out

What Kaep did is the exception to the rule for pro athletes, as most are here to make as much money as possible. Kaep is also playing for the team he grew up rooting for, so maybe that had something to do with it. More importantly, Kaep isn't as established or as highly regarded as Wilson. The situation is really different.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to get paid. His aav will likely start in $17 mil range & will probably be higher than that. That would put him in the top 10 for QB aav. I would bet The only issues are the length of the contract & how much of it is guaranteed.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Kaep did is the exception to the rule for pro athletes, as most are here to make as much money as possible. Kaep is also playing for the team he grew up rooting for, so maybe that had something to do with it. More importantly, Kaep isn't as established or as highly regarded as Wilson. The situation is really different.

I thought kaep grew up a packers fan I thought I saw a pic of him as a kid in a farve jersey when they faces GB and Rodgers with a Montana jersey cuz he was from cali. But still kaep took less because he wants to win if Wilson wants to win like he says he does then he should take less the bills WR mike williams and bucs WR vincent jackson should be available this offseason

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to get paid. His aav will likely start in $17 mil range & will probably be higher than that. That would put him in the top 10 for QB aav. I would bet The only issues are the length of the contract & how much of it is guaranteed.

I think this sounds fair, I don't agree that Wilson should be avg over 20mil per year

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought kaep grew up a packers fan I thought I saw a pic of him as a kid in a farve jersey when they faces GB and Rodgers with a Montana jersey cuz he was from cali. But still kaep took less because he wants to win if Wilson wants to win like he says he does then he should take less the bills WR mike williams and bucs WR vincent jackson should be available this offseason

Kaep was a Packer and Niner fan. Every time the two teams meet they throw up the letter he wrote in the 4th grade saying he wants to be qb for either the Niners or Packers. Wilson will want to get paid more than Kaep, and rightfully so being as he won the Super Bowl. The careers of these two and contracts will be compared as they progress (or don't progress) like Brady and Manning as long as they are in the league. And just for those that have a problem with reading comprehension, no I didn't say they are as good as them,just that they would be compared to one another like them.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not buying that Kap took less because 'he wants to win'. Kap took less because there was less on the table.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson will make 20MM a year as he should. No player takes less to "help the team" on their first contract. Maybe, maybe a player will take less money in their final years to try to win a championship, but NO WAY on their first contract.

Salary cap is going up too, so will player salaries.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he is playing like a #1 draft pick: running for his life on an awful offence with next to no talent around him.

The situation is awful. The o-line has been completely neglected and the attempts to get WR's have all been a disaster. The guys we have out there don't even look like they're starting material. This offense is in worse shape than it was in 2011.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying that Kap took less because 'he wants to win'. Kap took less because there was less on the table.

Look around the league at teams that need QBs. If you don't think another team would've given him more money I would say you are blinded by your hatred for him. I'm not saying he is worth it, but he could've def gotten more money if he would've wait. But he is playing for a team he rooted for growing up, he is winning more than losing, and his paycheck is still pretty good.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look around the league at teams that need QBs. If you don't think another team would've given him more money I would say you are blinded by your hatred for him. I'm not saying he is worth it, but he could've def gotten more money if he would've wait. But he is playing for a team he rooted for growing up, he is winning more than losing, and his paycheck is still pretty good.

Another team may have given him more money, but he would have had to wait for free agency to do that. And anything can happen in that time, bird in the hand....

I just dont believe that he gave them this great deal of what amounts to a low guarantee, year-to-year deal simply because he wants to do what's best for them.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay the man, get him an O line and a high end receiver that doesn't spend the entire year on injured reserve. This is a guy not only with the physical ability but has shown he is elite above the shoulders as well. I love his decision making ability.

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another team may have given him more money, but he would have had to wait for free agency to do that. And anything can happen in that time, bird in the hand....

I just dont believe that he gave them this great deal of what amounts to a low guarantee, year-to-year deal simply because he wants to do what's best for them.

Everyone is going to be greedy in some way. Whether it is greedy for the money, greedy for the location, or greedy for wanting to win. I'm sure there were several factor driving his decision to sign the deal he did, what was the biggest factor we can only speculate. But ultimately he signed a team friendly deal and there is no denying that, so to say that he didn't take into consideration his team is just pure hatred of him. If RW signs the same deal what are you gonna say? Was it all for himself or did he consider the team?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is the best QB this franchise has ever had. Bold statement, but I really don't see anyone able to put up a counter to it.

He's going to get paid like he is. How much? Well that's really all speculation, but I can't see him going under $18m/yr and I have no issue with them giving it to him. Put as much stat incentives in it as you want to protect yourself, but his overall base will be big and you'd have to be crazy not to give it to him.

Think about it. He's the best your team has ever had and he hasn't been in the league long enough to his his first contract. His potential is far greater than he has already achieved. You pay that and don't think twice.