• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Portland give up their future for the next 1.5 years?

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, PG never said he would only re-sign with the Lakers.
Almost. He said it was his dream to play for his home town team of the Lakers. He mentioned them by name several times. Don't you remember how shocked everyone was when he resigned with OC?

I'd like to throw the Pacers hat into the AD sweepstakes. They have a pretty solid team, even with Olidipo out. AD on the Pacers would contend for the Eastern conference title this year and with Olidipo back next year would be favorites in the East.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd walk in 2020....LOL.

You'd be crazy to do that.
Yes he would.

But if Portland doesn't do anything to be relevant now, when will they? Lillard will soon be aging, if he doesn't decide to leave early, Portland doesn't really have that much of a solid core that can take you places.

It's no or never for Portland. Otherwise the Blazers are looking at 9 years from now of even having a shot in the league. Once GS dynasty is done and Lakers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think it gets the past the Warriors the year, it would be interesting to see if they could get one more piece for the next year. I also guess Portland could always hold out hope that they could recruit and persuade AD to stay. (unlikely).

Maybe. The problem though, would be that the caliber of player they would need, probably isn't coming to Portland if they know AD isn't staying. Unless they just did a 1 year deal?

I will say though, if they did pull it off and won a title. It might be hard for him to leave.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe. The problem though, would be that the caliber of player they would need, probably isn't coming to Portland if they know AD isn't staying. Unless they just did a 1 year deal?

I will say though, if they did pull it off and won a title. It might be hard for him to leave.

Who knows, maybe Lillard becomes an awesome teammate and he loves the small market of Portland and the enthusiasm and passion of Blazer fans and he becomes king in a small pond. Although he is coming out of a small market like New Orleans, the difference the Portland market is compared to NO is that the Blazers are a big deal here, they compete with no one on the professional level.

But it sounds like ultimately he wants to try and be a big fish in a big pond.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost. He said it was his dream to play for his home town team of the Lakers. He mentioned them by name several times. Don't you remember how shocked everyone was when he resigned with OC?

That's right. I had forgotten about that. That was when all of the speculation started when he first let the Pacers know he wanted out.

However, he also backed off of those comments and changed to "preferred destination" as time went on which was part of why OKC decided to risk trading for him. Before he started backing off of those comments, there were GM's saying they weren't even going to bother trying.

Folks were more shocked that he signed as quickly as he did, than they were that he stayed in OKC. There were reports about how he was blown away by his reception there from pretty much the instant his plane landed.

Folks thought he'd at least meet with the Lakers and probably a couple of other teams as well. But he made his decision and ended the drama early.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows, maybe Lillard becomes an awesome teammate and he loves the small market of Portland and the enthusiasm and passion of Blazer fans and he becomes king in a small pond.

Worked with PG.

I think it would definitely be worth a try. I've been saying since all of this started that unless Rich Paul can depress the market, AD isn't coming to the Lakers in a trade.

I think that even if he depresses it enough that it keeps the Celtics away, someone will decide that 1-1.5 years of AD is better than never having him at all and look to beat the Lakers offer.

The Blazers could absolutely be one of those teams. Especially if they don't think they can get anyone else to pair with Dame.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams feel they can change a players mind about staying. I think the Raptors think that Kawhi might change his mind.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it makes sense for the Blazers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think teams feel they can change a players mind about staying. I think the Raptors think that Kawhi might change his mind.

I agree. I've been saying all along that from everything I've heard, Toronto is the kind of place where a player either "gets it" and stays...or doesn't and wants out asap.

Kawhi seems like the kind of guy who will get it and stay. Plus, he seems like someone who just wants to play basketball and not deal with all the pressure and outside nonsense that comes with playing for the Lakers.

I will say though, there is some hope for the Lakers in that, Kawhi seems to be letting his Uncle manage his career. So, if it's the Uncle that's been wanting him in LA, that could make the difference.

If I'm betting real money though, I'm betting on him staying put.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Portland did such a trade, you'd think they'd have to give up practically most of their current core.

So lets say Portland does that, CJ, Nurkic gone.

Do they sign Carmelo Anthony?

Lillard
Anthony
Davis?

I don't know if Melo being thrown into that mix immediately ruins any positive, but I have to think Melo has been humbled by these recent years and maybe he could have a role. But do you win anything with Lillard/Melo/Davis?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but what is Portland's future?

I think what you see is what you get. They are a good basketball team, but it is difficult to imagine them getting over the hump without some type of drastic move.

Problem is, like a couple others have said, I am not sure Portland has the assets to get a deal like this done. Because if I am the Pelicans, I would prefer something like the Knicks pick + DSJ and Knox to anything Portland could possibly offer.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what you see is what you get. They are a good basketball team, but it is difficult to imagine them getting over the hump without some type of drastic move.

Problem is, like a couple others have said, I am not sure Portland has the assets to get a deal like this done. Because if I am the Pelicans, I would prefer something like the Knicks pick + DSJ and Knox to anything Portland could possibly offer.

Exactly, they have no real future. Middle of the pack 4-7 seed playoff team in the West. They have one of the best guards in the league in his prime right now, so unless they make a drastic move, such as going all in on AD for just a year and a half, Portland's future is nothing more than 4-7 in the West with early playoff round exits for the years ahead.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, they have no real future. Middle of the pack 4-7 seed playoff team in the West. They have one of the best guards in the league in his prime right now, so unless they make a drastic move, such as going all in on AD for just a year and a half, Portland's future is nothing more than 4-7 in the West with early playoff round exits for the years ahead.

I think you have the right idea, just not sure Portland has the pieces to get a deal done before the deadline.

Would you still want them to give up everything for AD this summer?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Blazers should have some dignity and relocate from that shitty city to Seattle. I’d prefer Tacoma or Bellevue but the NBA said no to those two cities in 2007.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Portland might have the pieces, but if I am the Pelicans, those pieces aren't McCollum or Nurkic (esp with Mirotic and Randle), but rather a 2022 or 2023 (the years after Davis likely leaves in FA, which could very well push Lilliard out), unprotected 1st round pick.

That's the thing I'd push for if I was them.

Heck maybe even take some of their garbage salaries (Turner, Harkless and Leonard) and go for 2022 and 2024 1st round unprotected picks for Davis... Give the Blazers the full ability to go all in right now. But completely mortgage their future for it. A LOT of risk, but a lot of reward.

That could be giving NO 5 or so top 5 picks in the next 5 years. Would be a 76er type tank there, and I guess the big reason as a GM I wouldn't do it is I wouldn't be there by the time it materializes. But that would be intriguing at least.

Just a thought.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is correct. Portland is similar to the Pacers. They put a good team out there each year. Too good to get a good draft pick. They are not a large market that can attract great FA's. So their ceiling is to be a pretty good team, unless they make a trade.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have the right idea, just not sure Portland has the pieces to get a deal done before the deadline.

Would you still want them to give up everything for AD this summer?

Tough one for just one season, I would like to get the rest of this year and get some chemistry going for this playoff year. So for just one season? I don't know if I'd do it, unless there were talks between them that you could possibly recruit him for longer contract extension.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you'd for sure need to add in Zach Collins to any trade. If I'm the Pelicans GM, he'd be a sticking point for me. I think a deal of CJ, Nurkic, Collins and a future 1st for Anthony Davis and Solomon Hill would be a very enticing offer.

Would you offer all of that without knowing AD will re-sign in the summer of 2020?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you offer all of that without knowing AD will re-sign in the summer of 2020?

That is tough. 5 years ago probably. that's a legit shot at an NBA ring. With Golden State still together, I think that may affect if teams do that.

Of course the financial side is interesting. How are ticket/jersey sales there? Does Davis make a big change to that?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I'm the Blazers, probably no. But if I'm the Pelican's I'm not settling for less than that either. A deal between the two is not likely to be made, I was just giving my thoughts on fair trade value.