• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Portland give up their future for the next 1.5 years?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure every other local media market is buzzing with talk of trying to land Anthony Davis in a trade. We all know given his contract he will be a free agent after next season and will likely sign with the names of teams you are hearing he wants to go to.

But Portland should make an all or nothing offer to New Orleans for AD. Yes, it would require the Blazers giving up their long term future, 3-5 years down the road the Blazers will be in full rebuild mode, all for a chance to go big with AD for the next year and a half.

Portland has Damian Lillard, an all-star guard who is currently in his prime, but he is surrounded by nothing. The Blazers coach Terry Stotts has done an amazing job with what he has. Although Portland can't win a playoff round, he's gotten the Blazers into the playoffs and has conjured up 50 win seasons with a mediocre at best roster.

But here Portland has a chance to try and capture something amazing in the next year in a half. Give it all up, to get Davis. Trade CJ, trade Nurkic, trade anyone and any round to try and get Davis and have him team up with Lillard for just the short term. It's Portland's best chance to do anything or be relevant now while having one of the better guards in the league and one of the better guards Portland has ever had. Otherwise, the Blazers waste Lillard's time, continue to win 45-50 games a year and never be a real threat in the playoffs.

Of course, I have zero confidence Neil Olshey can get this trade done, and if history of the franchise proves anything, Portland will not take any risks and sell us fans that they are building the core they have now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure every other local media market is buzzing with talk of trying to land Anthony Davis in a trade. We all know given his contract he will be a free agent after next season and will likely sign with the names of teams you are hearing he wants to go to.

But Portland should make an all or nothing offer to New Orleans for AD. Yes, it would require the Blazers giving up their long term future, 3-5 years down the road the Blazers will be in full rebuild mode, all for a chance to go big with AD for the next year and a half.

Portland has Damian Lillard, an all-star guard who is currently in his prime, but he is surrounded by nothing. The Blazers coach Terry Stotts has done an amazing job with what he has. Although Portland can't win a playoff round, he's gotten the Blazers into the playoffs and has conjured up 50 win seasons with a mediocre at best roster.

But here Portland has a chance to try and capture something amazing in the next year in a half. Give it all up, to get Davis. Trade CJ, trade Nurkic, trade anyone and any round to try and get Davis and have him team up with Lillard for just the short term. It's Portland's best chance to do anything or be relevant now while having one of the better guards in the league and one of the better guards Portland has ever had. Otherwise, the Blazers waste Lillard's time, continue to win 45-50 games a year and never be a real threat in the playoffs.

Of course, I have zero confidence Neil Olshey can get this trade done, and if history of the franchise proves anything, Portland will not take any risks and sell us fans that they are building the core they have now.
what is CJ's contract status?

he is not a bad guy to start a deal around- but it doesnt seem like Portland has the additional ancillary pieces and draft picks that would fit in a trade.

I think the Nuggets should maybe look to make this type of all or nothing move--- they could offer Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., multiple firsts, maybe even Jamal Murray.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he is not a bad guy to start a deal around- but it doesnt seem like Portland has the additional ancillary pieces and draft picks that would fit in a trade.

I think the Nuggets should maybe look to make this type of all or nothing move--- they could offer Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., multiple firsts, maybe even Jamal Murray.

Denver could given they are very much in the hunt to having a great seed in the playoffs, but I feel Denver is content with what they are building right now. They sort of just started building whatever they are building and they are successful so far. Yes they probably aren't winning the conference this year, but they seem to have everything for the future.

Portland on the other hand, it's been basically the same guys for the last 8 years. We were told for the past 6 that Portland is just building it's core and growing together, well, it gets us nowhere come post season. I don't know what Olshey's fascination for Aminu is, but that guy is not a starter in the NBA yet Aminu seems to be untouchable.

CJ is obviously one that would have to be packaged with the deal, but for some reason he has been for years the controversial discussion about trades. For whatever reason people are torn to deal away CJ, but it's very much worth it if it makes Portland a true contender.

So in comparison to Denver, I feel the Nuggets are where Portland was 4-6 years ago but that ascension is happening quicker than it ever did for Portland. Portland meanwhile I feel is going to be looking for rebuild in 2-3 years anyway.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it would be a great move to try to trade for AD. Only thing is that CJ and Nurkic are more win now guys and I think that might put the Pelicans in position where they top out as a fringe playoff team for a long time (much like the Hawks were for years with Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, etc.).

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think it would be a great move to try to trade for AD. Only thing is that CJ and Nurkic are more win now guys and I think that might put the Pelicans in position where they top out as a fringe playoff team for a long time (much like the Hawks were for years with Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, etc.).

I have no idea what the money situation looks like, but trading CJ, Nurkic, a 1st round pick, maybe throw in someone else or another draft pick for AD could benefit New Orleans.

I mean, there is a good chance New Orleans is out of the playoffs this year, so next year do they try and do anything to build around AD just for one year and hopes to recruit him to stay? I think if AD is serious about leaving NO is going to want to get what they can get now and help them land on their feet after losing a big star like him. Obtaining CJ, Nurkic and co could help ease the rebuild.

Trading AD now is way more appealing to other teams that know he wont re-sign with them compared to trying to trade him next year. Trade with a current playoff contender now to get the best in return.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what the money situation looks like, but trading CJ, Nurkic, a 1st round pick, maybe throw in someone else or another draft pick for AD could benefit New Orleans.

I mean, there is a good chance New Orleans is out of the playoffs this year, so next year do they try and do anything to build around AD just for one year and hopes to recruit him to stay? I think if AD is serious about leaving NO is going to want to get what they can get now and help them land on their feet after losing a big star like him. Obtaining CJ, Nurkic and co could help ease the rebuild.

Trading AD now is way more appealing to other teams that know he wont re-sign with them compared to trying to trade him next year. Trade with a current playoff contender now to get the best in return.

I think you'd for sure need to add in Zach Collins to any trade. If I'm the Pelicans GM, he'd be a sticking point for me. I think a deal of CJ, Nurkic, Collins and a future 1st for Anthony Davis and Solomon Hill would be a very enticing offer.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Portland could pull it off correctly it could be like the late 90's early 00 when they went out and got Pippen and co. No one was expecting that to be a long term unit, the goal was to win a title quickly.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would they offer?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For a rental?

Report: Anthony Davis expected to put out word he’ll re-sign with only Lakers

You've seen this, right?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO could always flip those 2 for more draft picks....

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely for a rental. That's the point of my post, Portland trades in their 3-5 years down the road gameplan for something right now just for the next one and a half years.

Currently 4th in the West, the Blazers become instant intriguing players for this year, and than next year maybe try to get one more piece this offseason and make one year push for the title next year.

Otherwise, it most likely looks like when the GS dynasty eventually ends, the next super team, the Lakers, will be next in line. So Portland's real shot of being relevant in the NBA for the next 7-8 years is right now.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say if they should do it or not.

On the one hand, it would definitely make them a much better team.

On the other hand, I don't see it improiving them enough to get past the Warriors.

On top that, I'm not sure they can put together a package that the Pels would want.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say if they should do it or not.

On the one hand, it would definitely make them a much better team.

On the other hand, I don't see it improiving them enough to get past the Warriors.

On top that, I'm not sure they can put together a package that the Pels would want.

Don't think it gets the past the Warriors this year, it would be interesting to see if they could get one more piece for the next year. I also guess Portland could always hold out hope that they could recruit and persuade AD to stay. (unlikely).

At the very least it gives Portland a much betters hot to compete in the playoffs and at least a shot of maybe to top the Warriors. Otherwise, this year, like years past and the next 5 years, Portland will be lucky to get out of the first round.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG's comments about his desire of going to the Lakers are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY stronger than anything we have heard from AD.

Not any that I remember. I remember him saying that he preferred LA, but would consider other destinations. Maybe he said something stronger that I don't remember before they tried to trade for him and he decided that they didn't try hard enough.

But the last I remember is him saying they were preferred, but not the only place he'd consider.

If what has been reported is true, Rich Paul is telling teams, or is expected to, that AD won't re-sign anywhere but with the Lakers.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,205.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely for a rental. That's the point of my post, Portland trades in their 3-5 years down the road gameplan for something right now just for the next one and a half years.

Currently 4th in the West, the Blazers become instant intriguing players for this year, and than next year maybe try to get one more piece this offseason and make one year push for the title next year.

Otherwise, it most likely looks like when the GS dynasty eventually ends, the next super team, the Lakers, will be next in line. So Portland's real shot of being relevant in the NBA for the next 7-8 years is right now.

He'd walk in 2020....LOL.

You'd be crazy to do that.