• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shefter reporting Trey Flowers to sign with Lions

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anything can happen in the draft.

Some bat shit crazy team like the Cardinals draft Murray. Gruden surprises by drafting a QB and quite possibly a team jumps the Raiders to select a QB at the now Jets position at #3. There's also the Giants possibly in the mix for a QB at #6

Lots of possibilities in the top 7 that have yet to come to fruition.

Our best hope is both QB's, Metcalf and an OT go before us.

Even then, It's most likely the big 3 (Bosa,Allen and Williams) all go before us. Unless somehow a team moves Sweat above one of them, what is the possibility of that do you think?

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions addition of Flowers shouldn't rule out EDGE at pick 8

Day 2 sleeper
If Allen is gone before the Lions pick in the first round and they’re not comfortable with the projections of the other players suggested, D’Andre Walker (Georgia, 6-2.5, 251) is a natural JACK linebacker, comfortable rushing and dropping into coverage, although he isn’t elite at either just yet. With time to develop, Walker would give the Lions a dynamic pass rushing weapon from the second level.

BB_72; Walker shouldn't be considered a day 2 prospect. imo. at very beginning of day 3, yes. imo.

Day 3 deep sleeper
If the Lions miss on Allen and Walker, Ben Banogu (TCU, JACK, 6-3.5, 250) should be on their target list on the third day of the draft. He is still in the developmental stages but his athletic testing was through the roof at the Combine and is a moldable JACK option.

What do you think about a CB like Greedy at #8 @Big_Blue_72 ?
He kind of gives me a Justin Gilbert kind of vibe for some reason.
Also, that would mean that Quinn would be waving the white flag on Tabor. Think he would swallow his pride and do it?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pats didn't think he is worth 17 million or they would of franchised him

They rarely do franchise anyone so they just pick up the pieces and move forward with the next up format. Someday that's going to come to a halt.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have Bosa then Allen but would be ecstatic either way with one of them. I am almost positive the the 49ers and Raiders will scoop them both up though.

ohhh, RollingThnder-son, you have big Gruden surprise coming.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think about a CB like Greedy at #8 @Big_Blue_72 ?
He kind of gives me a Justin Gilbert kind of vibe for some reason.
Also, that would mean that Quinn would be waving the white flag on Tabor. Think he would swallow his pride and do it?

I don't get the Justin Gilbert vibe from greedy at all. He's one of a few true press-man CB in this draft. I have a problem with him when he lapses in pass off zone coverage and quits on his allocated area. I've seen it numerous times. He has speed and route recognition to mirror but he'll get baited too often and becomes cocky in that he thinks he has guessed correctly. Bama WR gave him fits and his WR were open numerous times for big plays but Tua' didn't see them or was in his usual I'm going with my pre-snap mode/read.

They all have areas to work on but I don't trust him as a top 10 CB nor any other CB in this draft. TBH, I don't honestly value any of them in top 15.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohhh, RollingThnder-son, you have big Gruden surprise coming.

We will see. I think he brought Mayock along to help keep him in check to be honest. They may be buddies but he wouldn't of brought in Mayock if he didn't respect his opinion and take what he tells him into consideration on draft night.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He should have already swallowed his pride concerning Tabor. BQ stated in a Freep report written by Dave Birkett that you know what you have in ANY Drafted Player after year 2 is complete. He hasn't followed that motto with Tabor.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should have already swallowed his pride concerning Tabor. BQ stated in a Freep report written by Dave Birkett that you know what you have in ANY Drafted Player after year 2 is complete. He hasn't followed that motto with Tabor.

The other CB we signed is just a slot guy correct? Tabor was drafted to play outside. we are super fucked if Diggs or Slay get injured and this guy has to come in. Doesn't matter what kind of DL or LB's you have when you have an absolute hole at CB and offensive coordinators can just find ways to exploit him. Maybe Quinn has a plan to add some depth later in the draft at CB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our best hope is both QB's, Metcalf and an OT go before us.

Even then, It's most likely the big 3 (Bosa,Allen and Williams) all go before us. Unless somehow a team moves Sweat above one of them, what is the possibility of that do you think?

It's highly likely depending on team and scheme. and it could be either Q. Williams or J. Allen that drops to us. Bosa I don't see lasting past #5 T.B.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other CB we signed is just a slot guy correct?

Coleman's best play to date has come from the nickel/slot. He wasn't effective as a boundary CB but that doesn't mean MP won't try him outside at all. imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't matter what kind of DL or LB's you have when you have an absolute hole at CB and offensive coordinators can just find ways to exploit him

Having a nickel/slot Cb, like Coleman who was the 3rd best nickel/slot, can take away the shallow short zones and the 1st 3rd of the seam while Slay tamps down one boundary. The Lions, I believe, gave up the 5th most yards in the NFL coming out of the nickel/slot last year. I posted here somewhere (probably in the FA thread regarding Coleman/Lions and nickel/slot yardage etc.)

All that leaves us is coming up with a solution for boundary CB opposite Slay, for now. The Draft and current CB Mike Ford (who both BQ/MP are quite high on his prospect as an outside CB) will probably battle it out for the opposite of Slay. imo.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions free agency grade: Breaking down the Justin Coleman signing

Positional need
Believe it or not, nickel corner was just as big of a need for Detroit as outside corner is. With teams going three wide more and more often in the NFL these days, the Lions are likely to have at least five defensive backs on the field around 70-80 percent of the time.

Last year, the Lions didn’t truly have a nickel corner on their roster. While the common belief was that Lawson was their No. 2 outside cornerback, no defensive back played more in the slot than Lawson, with nearly 40 percent of his snaps coming from that position.

The rest of the nickel snaps came from a mixture of Darius Slay, DeShawn Shead, Quandre Diggs and Teez Tabor, among other—none of which had more than 90 snaps from the position.

And how did that lineup perform in 2018? Not well:

PFF DET Lions @PFF_Lions

Replying to @PFF_Lions

Just a reminder of the #Lions DBs in the slot in 2018:

Nevin Lawson- 236 snaps, 113.8 passer rating allowed
Darius Slay- 82 snaps, 136.7 PR
Teez Tabor- 69 snaps, 149.1 PR
Jamal Agnew- 55 snaps, 108.3 PR
Mike Ford- 26 snaps, 109.7 PR
Cre'Von LeBlanc- 19 snaps, 118.8 PR

2:23 PM - Mar 11, 2019

Lions free agency grade: Breaking down the Justin Coleman signing

But with Coleman now aboard, the Lions don’t have to continually search for their nickel cornerback. They have one. And while Coleman doesn’t provide a ton of versatility (he played 74 percent of his snaps in the slot last year), he will assume one of the toughest jobs in the secondary and allow his teammates like Darius Slay to do what they do best—dominate the edges.

There’s no doubt that Coleman excels as a nickel cornerback. Let’s just drop in a few stats from his past two years with the Seattle Seahawks:

And consider this: Per SB Nation, the Lions were dead last in the league last year, allowing 9.52 yards per attempt out of the slot. Justin Coleman allowed just 5.21 yards per attempt.

If there’s a weakness to Coleman’s game, it’s in defending the run. Coleman has had consistent tackling struggles throughout his career, and his 5-foot-11, 190 pound frame makes him an easy target to block out of a play.

Last season, Mike Ford showed promise as a developmental outside corner, seeing at least 69-percent of defensive snaps five of the seven games he was active, starting four of those games. The upside is there for Ford but he is still learning the position in the NFL and may not yet be ready to take on an every game starting role

@Rollingthndr

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pray to GOD it's not Gary. I would rather gamble on Montez Sweat than Gary.

I think Gary is going to be the guy that sits in the green room forever if he attends the draft. Not sure i'd even want him if he were sitting there with our 2nd rounder.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other CB we signed is just a slot guy correct? Tabor was drafted to play outside. we are super fucked if Diggs or Slay get injured and this guy has to come in. Doesn't matter what kind of DL or LB's you have when you have an absolute hole at CB and offensive coordinators can just find ways to exploit him. Maybe Quinn has a plan to add some depth later in the draft at CB.

This draft is deep at CB. We could wait to see who drops to round 2. There are also a few more guys we could cut (Riddick, C Jones, T Wilson, Wiggins) to find more cap space. All those guys would be a savings of 3-4 mil each.Could also extend and restructure Staff.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that leaves us is coming up with a solution for boundary CB opposite Slay, for now.

What about safety? Quin might of had a down year but he was a v ery solid and stable presence on the back end.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about safety? Quin might of had a down year but he was a v ery solid and stable presence on the back end.

Dont forget the Lions could still resign him to a lesser contract later on if he decides he still wants to play as a backup and mentor.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is deep at CB.

quantity but not quality. imo.

It's the hardest defensive CFB position transitioning to NFL level to get an accurate read on how they'll develop. imo. It's been a little bit better over the last couple years with Lattimore, Ward and Alexander that stand out so far coming from 1st round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would guess that BQ drafts a S in the 1st two days of draft but in the meantime Tavon Wilson isn't going anywhere unless they sign a S in FA or should they draft one and that player wins S #3 during training camp/pre-season.

ERFA S Charles Washington was signed but he's more ST gunner/ace with some limited snaps on defense.