• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shazam! 2: Fury of the Gods (2023)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disney purchased a huge franchise, which they have severely affected.

How many movies have they announced and then cancelled? Where's Rian Johnson's trilogy? D&D's trilogy? Patty Jenkins' movies? Remember that when they purchased Lucas Films, the stated goal was to build a cinematic universe and releasing at least one move per year.

They made the sequel trilogy without an overarching plan, which resulted in it being severely disjointed from one episode to the next, pissing off most of the fans, losing half of its audience from the first movie to the third, causing Solo to bomb, and basically destroying the cinematic universe. It's been what, 5 years since the last movie and there's nothing on the pipleline.

The shows haven't been that huge of a mess, but still they've released disappointing/dumb shows, a good one in Andor that basically nobody cared about, and now even The Mandalorian, their flagship show, is struggling and losing audience.

And since I said LucasFilm, not just Star Wars: How many rewrites and reshoots will Indy go through? I will still watch it since Indy is my favorite character of all time, but I'm concerned about getting a Frankenstein of a film.

it was a popular franchise... not a big one... Disney made it big...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but lets ignore that... to answer your question it is clearly DCEU that was more mismanaged... and it is not even close...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disney purchased a huge franchise, which they have severely affected.

How many movies have they announced and then cancelled? Where's Rian Johnson's trilogy? D&D's trilogy? Patty Jenkins' movies? Remember that when they purchased Lucas Films, the stated goal was to build a cinematic universe and releasing at least one move per year.

They made the sequel trilogy without an overarching plan, which resulted in it being severely disjointed from one episode to the next, pissing off most of the fans, losing half of its audience from the first movie to the third, causing Solo to bomb, and basically destroying the cinematic universe. It's been what, 5 years since the last movie and there's nothing on the pipleline.

The shows haven't been that huge of a mess, but still they've released disappointing/dumb shows, a good one in Andor that basically nobody cared about, and now even The Mandalorian, their flagship show, is struggling and losing audience.

And since I said LucasFilm, not just Star Wars: How many rewrites and reshoots will Indy go through? I will still watch it since Indy is my favorite character of all time, but I'm concerned about getting a Frankenstein of a film.
I agree with Milk in that you are confounding quality and production. They bought an IP that had a library of 6 theatrical release movies, 3 TV movies (Holiday Special and two Ewok movies and about 3 or 4 additional animated films, I think), an extended literary universe and a burgeoning animated tv presence (I think Clone Wars was started pre-Disney, but I may be mistaken about that)

Since they took over the IP they have released 5 theatrical films, numerous animated tv seasons (I am not 100% certain which where Disney and which were pre-Disney) and 6 seasons of live-action TV (with more in the works).

Disney has absolutely ramped up the production of content. You may like what they have produced. You may think they have produced garbage. Regardless, they have produced plenty of inventory.

Star Trek still has more hours in their library. MCU does as well. Bond MIGHT still have more hours (though I am not certain at this point anymore). But SW is creating 20-30 hours per year at this point (Trek is creating approx 20-30 as well; MCU produces approx 30-40). That is a lot.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Milk in that you are confounding quality and production. They bought an IP that had a library of 6 theatrical release movies, 3 TV movies (Holiday Special and two Ewok movies and about 3 or 4 additional animated films, I think), an extended literary universe and a burgeoning animated tv presence (I think Clone Wars was started pre-Disney, but I may be mistaken about that)

Going into the Sequel trilogy without a plan and an overarching story was a terrible management decision.
Announcing and then cancelling a myriad of movies also points to terrible management.

At least they have been able to produce a few tv shows, even if not everyone has been top notch.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think black Adam helped either.... really weird timing for that movie...
I am not a comic book fan but enjoy the movies quite a bit. So having said that, I really had NO idea black adam was another Shazam. Really thought that he was a black superman. That seemed like dud so haven't seen it yet. Will watch Shazam 2. Like I said, I enjoy them. Maybe it's because I go in wanting to be entertained.

Caveat, last ant man movie sucked. Spoiler.... buildings walk, talk and fight. I understand that any and all things can happen there but GD it was stupid. If they were playing homage to the Flaming Lips and Yoshimi I get it.

I am all in for THOR 5!!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a comic book fan but enjoy the movies quite a bit. So having said that, I really had NO idea black adam was another Shazam. Really thought that he was a black superman. That seemed like dud so haven't seen it yet. Will watch Shazam 2. Like I said, I enjoy them. Maybe it's because I go in wanting to be entertained.

Caveat, last ant man movie sucked. Spoiler.... buildings walk, talk and fight. I understand that any and all things can happen there but GD it was stupid. If they were playing homage to the Flaming Lips and Yoshimi I get it.

I am all in for THOR 5!!

I am still waiting to hear WHY they made the black Adam movie... I hope it was a passion project by the rock!! then I would get it... but the timing was just weird...

and funny you say you can't wait for Thor 5.... Thor IMO is one of the biggest problems with why Marvel movies have been falling... Helmsworth is now the biggest name that marvel has... so they are giving the WORST character so many movies...Thor should not have had more than 2 movies... probably not even more than 1...

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still waiting to hear WHY they made the black Adam movie... I hope it was a passion project by the rock!! then I would get it... but the timing was just weird...

and funny you say you can't wait for Thor 5.... Thor IMO is one of the biggest problems with why Marvel movies have been falling... Helmsworth is now the biggest name that marvel has... so they are giving the WORST character so many movies...Thor should not have had more than 2 movies... probably not even more than 1...
I threw the Thor comment in just 4 U! I don't think he is worst character as he is a GOD bit they get cheezy with him

I agree about the two movies.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I threw the Thor comment in just 4 U! I don't think he is worst character as he is a GOD bit they get cheezy with him

I agree about the two movies.

im not saying Thor movies are bad... although the first 2 were pretty bad... Im more saying that Helmsworth has become so big that they have to give him films... which takes away from other more deserving and new characters...

For example, the fact that fantastic 4 has not been brought into this universe other than a brief cameo in a different multiverse, is an absolute crime... Fantastic 4 is the most important marvel stories...

also, they should have re-introduced mutants and the x-men... they have been talking about how they were going to do this for the past few years, ever since they got the rights back...

point is that there is so much more this marvel universe can do but it is stuck with their Avengers arc... even with END GAME, which closed up lots of the AVENGER ARC...

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was 100% a Rock pushed project. No one asked for it, he just wanted to do it, and used his star power to get it rolling. And then he went and messed around a ton with production. He had a finger in everything for it.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not saying Thor movies are bad... although the first 2 were pretty bad... Im more saying that Helmsworth has become so big that they have to give him films... which takes away from other more deserving and new characters...

For example, the fact that fantastic 4 has not been brought into this universe other than a brief cameo in a different multiverse, is an absolute crime... Fantastic 4 is the most important marvel stories...

also, they should have re-introduced mutants and the x-men... they have been talking about how they were going to do this for the past few years, ever since they got the rights back...

point is that there is so much more this marvel universe can do but it is stuck with their Avengers arc... even with END GAME, which closed up lots of the AVENGER ARC...
Fantastic 4 was in the same boat as the Mutants. They got the rights to them back at the same time as the Mutants when they bought that part of Fox. They couldn't do stories with them.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic 4 was in the same boat as the Mutants. They got the rights to them back at the same time as the Mutants when they bought that part of Fox. They couldn't do stories with them.

i thought it was just over-saturation... since the Michael B Jordan Fantastic 4 just came out and bombed...

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought it was just over-saturation... since the Michael B Jordan Fantastic 4 just came out and bombed...
Nope, the rights were bought back in 2019. Not enough time to have a good movie made yet. But one is in the pipe.

Fox on the other hand, kept making shitty F4 movies, and there was a clause in the original contract for the rights to revert if they didn't make movies within a certain period of time. So bad movies were pushed just to maintain the contract.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Rock wanted to make himself the centerpiece of the DC Universe. He also thought that he was too good for Shazam despite Black Adam being a spinoff of Shazam, and refused to cameo in Shazam or let Shazam cameo in Black Adam, because in the Rock's mind, only Superman was a legitimate peer to Black Adam, even though Black Adam is canonically and traditionally Shazam's nemesis, not Superman's.

Also, Zachary Levi throwing shade today at the Rock on Instagram for interfering with and refusing to support Shazam:

8168gue437pa1.jpg

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rock wanted to make himself the centerpiece of the DC Universe. He also thought that he was too good for Shazam despite Black Adam being a spinoff of Shazam, and refused to cameo in Shazam or let Shazam cameo in Black Adam, because in the Rock's mind, only Superman was a legitimate peer to Black Adam, even though Black Adam is canonically and traditionally Shazam's nemesis, not Superman's.

Also, Zachary Levi throwing shade today at the Rock on Instagram for interfering with and refusing to support Shazam:

8168gue437pa1.jpg

well, this is exactly what i wanted to see... thank you... this is also evidence that DCEU did the right thing to start over... if it let the Rock over-take it , then it should not be allowed to be run by these morons...

And shame on the Rock, How dare he think he is bigger than DC comics....

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, this is exactly what i wanted to see... thank you... this is also evidence that DCEU did the right thing to start over... if it let the Rock over-take it , then it should not be allowed to be run by these morons...

And shame on the Rock, How dare he think he is bigger than DC comics....

While this was crappy from The Rock, it has zero to do with Shazam bombing. Having a Shazam cameo on Black Adam, or The Justice Society on a post-credits scene wouldn't have done anything to help the movie's box office returns.

Still, it's stupid for DC to allow the Rock to have veto powers over those characters. I was comparing Lucas Films to the DC mess (and surprise, Star Wars lost yet another promising project today), but DC / Warner are the champions of mismanagement.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has disney lucas films mismanaged starwars??

They greenlit a new trilogy without an overall plan for the story arc. It fell flat on its face after Force Awakens. How is that not 100% mismanagement? Look at everything announced that's since been cancelled.

The movies may still have been successful financially, but there's no question that franchise was mismanaged horribly.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They greenlit a new trilogy without an overall plan for the story arc. It fell flat on its face after Force Awakens. How is that not 100% mismanagement? Look at everything announced that's since been cancelled.

The movies may still have been successful financially, but there's no question that franchise was mismanaged horribly.

again, that is disappointment in the results not mismanagement...

Let me ask a simple question,

Did disney grow the brand??? the obvious answer is yes... so it cant be truly a mismanagement... or at least to the same level as DCEU... which again, was the original comparison made....

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, that is disappointment in the results not mismanagement...

Let me ask a simple question,

Did disney grow the brand??? the obvious answer is yes... so it cant be truly a mismanagement... or at least to the same level as DCEU... which again, was the original comparison made....

No, it's not simply disappointment in results. You're claiming any financial gain in the brand means mismanagement couldn't have occurred. That's just not true.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it's not simply disappointment in results. You're claiming any financial gain in the brand means mismanagement couldn't have occurred. That's just not true.

I think you are arguing something I am not. Remember the original post I responded to questioned which franchise was mismanaged more DCEU or Disney Lucas films...

there is where I commented that Lucas films is not mismanaged... but all is relative... again, it was being compared to DCEU, which is why we are talking about this on this thread...

DCEU has been mismanaged much worse than Disney Lucas... and it is not even close...

but if you want to debate on whether Lucas has been mismanaged too... of course it has been... every franchise that has been around for a long time has been mismanaged... Marvel universe has been mismanaged terribly at times...

but your degree of mismanagement is based on your personal disappointment of the films and tv shows.... as you can not argue that Disney Has not grown the franchise to the gigantic franchise it is now...

DCEU has mismanaged it so badly that they have actually hurt the the product of batman and superman... especially superman... and has allowed Marvel to dominate it in popularity by the younger generation... I haven't done comic book sales research, but I am sure that Marvel is more popular right now by a large amount...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched this today.

Better than I was expecting, but still garbage. Last minute Mary Sue that removed any and all consequences that anyone payed during the resolution of the movie. Makes the audience not care about the characters or the story.

I never made the Freddy Freeman connection before. Surprised at the lack of talk online about that…

A major US city gets engulfed in a mysterious dome and Supes, Batman and Diana can’t be bothered to investigate?