• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shaq: Dwight couldn't handle LA

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Montsho: when you run into Zags in the East Bay tell him/her that he should sign up on this board. I miss his thorough insights.
I have no idea who he is. He did have a way of putting things that made you think didnt he?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have seen the example of that man's revolving door mind, haven't you? that'd be the point, he goes from happy to Unhappy at the drop of a dime...
I know this sounds like a bunch of excuses but think about the situation. The madness with the Magic then being traded while recovering from a back injury to the Lakers. That terrible season and playing with Kobe had to be pretty hard. I might add that the Lakers were not even his first choice. This is the first time he has had complete freedom to call his own shots. If he had of stayed with the Lakers there is no way he would have room to complain. Everyone would just laugh him off the court every time he touched the ball. He may experience moments with Houston were he is unhappy but he has to know that he made that decision without anyone twisting his arm. He's going to be fine.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davwy had the good sense to sign up here and agree with you.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The madness with the Magic

brought it all on himself and admitting to it after it was over with the team....this is not a teenager or someone just coming out of college. His mind wavers, tries to appease the populace, and comes away having be second-guessed because of his indecisions. It's on him and no one else. If we'd survey the Magic fans, doubt you'd find many in his corner.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you do not speak for Laker NATION.

Lakers fans by and large are acting like a bunch of spurned women........Dwight was all good UNTIL he left, now he's all kinds of scared, can't handle the pressure, doesn't have any post moves, etc......

Dwight hasn't changed one iota. But none of that mattered as long as he was under contract. NOW it's a problem because you guys need to feel better that he turned YOU down.

Dwight left the Lakers, the Lakers didn't leave Dwight

I'll just say this, I feel like I've been in the GREATER minority of defending Dwight Howard all the way from last summer to this summer. The greater majority of Laker fans imo, wanted him gone at all costs. Without even looking at the situation, it was always he whines too much, he isn't mentally tough, he isn't Kobe, etc. People wanted him GONE before the trading deadline. Obviously this isn't everyone, but of the MANY Laker fans on cbs, there were like 3 or 4 people(including me) who wanted him to stay before the deadline. IMO, the majority wanted him out, and in the end their mindset is good riddance, we're the Lakers and we'll find a way back to the top. Thing is, there's actually a clear(yet somewhat risky) way back to the top this time

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand SOME of you never really liked Dwight. And you are proving my point.

EVERYONE ON THE PLANET knew Dwight's shortcomings......but that didn't stop you from trading for him, nor did it stop you from begging him to stay.

Y'all acting like teenagers at the mall.....asking a girl for her number, and when she turn you down, you curse her out.......she was fine just a minute ago!

You are confusing Laker fans with the organization!! Laker fans did not trade for him, the organization did and Laker fans were not clamoring for the trade to happen.

Most Laker fans were embarrassed by the billboards and wanted them taken down as soon as they went up.

As for Dwight, when the Lakers traded for him, most were cautiously optimistic re: how he'd work out!! We were cautious because of the back surgery and the "Dwightmare" that he put Orlando through!! We were optimistic because when healthy and motivated, he's the best center in the league!!

As the season wore on, many Laker fans grew weary of the drama and of the fact that he never appeared to WANT to be a Laker. The final straw for the majority of us was his performance in the playoff vs. San Antonio, including getting himself ejected in game 4!!

So no, there are no "sour grapes" here.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are confusing Laker fans with the organization!! Laker fans did not trade for him, the organization did and Laker fans were not clamoring for the trade to happen.

Most Laker fans were embarrassed by the billboards and wanted them taken down as soon as they went up.

As for Dwight, when the Lakers traded for him, most were cautiously optimistic re: how he'd work out!! We were cautious because of the back surgery and the "Dwightmare" that he put Orlando through!! We were optimistic because when healthy and motivated, he's the best center in the league!!

As the season wore on, many Laker fans grew weary of the drama and of the fact that he never appeared to WANT to be a Laker. The final straw for the majority of us was his performance in the playoff vs. San Antonio, including getting himself ejected in game 4!!

So no, there are no "sour grapes" here.
Depends on your perspective. The Laker fans I know were talking a ton of shit about how the Lakers had another title in the bag when the Lakers got Howard. I agreed with them but I found it funny they thought he was scum before coming to the Lakers. Now that hes gone its like "we didnt want him anyway" and "he cant handle being in LA". I guess we should stop using general terms live "all" and "everybody".

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you have to be a hater to disagree? Its not BS. Its called killing the noise. Why make it an issue for the media to grab onto and create more mayhem? He's smart for saying that. Interesting that Kobe never denied it to my knowledge. I don't take much stock in what people say to the media really. I look at the body language and micro expressions when people interact. i know Howard doesn't like Kobe and is a bit intimidated by him by the way he acts. When Kobe said he was good for another 3-4 years I pretty much knew Howard was gone. If it was a just a rumor it still forced Howard to consider how it was going to make him look true or not.

You are not a Hater if you disagree but you are a Hater if you deny all the facts to pin this on Kobe, which several posters are doing on this board. The facts are the organization is now ran very poorly, the Lakers are not in position this year or the next to be a real contender, Short Buss disregarded Howard's request for a big man type of coach, the coach made him feel like he didnt want him here, you can also add the fact he will be second fiddle to kobe.

I will agree, when you look at them play together, congratulate each other, the body language does not suggest they are comfortable with each other. We dont have to like who we work with but if the environment has the outlook of success, we can deal with it. Another point i agree with you is, it not attractive in LA LA Land right now.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on your perspective. The Laker fans I know were talking a ton of shit about how the Lakers had another title in the bag when the Lakers got Howard. I agreed with them but I found it funny they thought he was scum before coming to the Lakers. Now that hes gone its like "we didnt want him anyway" and "he cant handle being in LA". I guess we should stop using general terms live "all" and "everybody".

Very Good Point!

For me personally I never wanted Howard to be a Laker because he didnt want to be here from the Jump. I had buddies calling me who are rival fans talking about, you guys are going to be contenders with Howard and Nash! I thought the opposite and It turned out I was right. I was hoping to trade him as soon as we got him for Lopez, to a place that was on his wish list.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not a Hater if you disagree but you are a Hater if you deny all the facts to pin this on Kobe, which several posters are doing on this board. The facts are the organization is now ran very poorly, the Lakers are not in position this year or the next to be a real contender, Short Buss disregarded Howard's request for a big man type of coach, the coach made him feel like he didnt want him here, you can also add the fact he will be second fiddle to kobe.

I will agree, when you look at them play together, congratulate each other, the body language does not suggest they are comfortable with each other. We dont have to like who we work with but if the environment has the outlook of success, we can deal with it. Another point i agree with you is, it not attractive in LA LA Land right now.
I dont think what Kobe said is the only reason he left by a long shot. I think his relationship with Kobe did play a major role in his decision. When you combine that with organizational moves it adds up to "I'm not staying around for more years of this BS" People that stay in situations where they don't like who they work with don't have any options or they are too lazy to move. Thats not an environment for success. Thats kind of an oxy moron wouldn't you agree?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can't speak for all Laker fans, but for myself and my friends who are Laker fans we were the "cautiously optimistic" that I mentioned in my previous post!! The majority of the folks calling in to the talk shows out here ranged from the cautious to the we don't want him. There were, of course, a few who thought getting him meant instant title, but overall, Laker fans were pretty lukewarm.

I was of the mindset that I was hoping he's buy into being a Laker and all that it means and that he would look at the trophies and great Laker centers of the past and want to be part of all of that, that it would motivate him.

As the season wore on, it became apparent that even if he decided to stay, he was not going to be the one who could lead the Lakers to more titles. If he stayed, the Lakers were still going to need a player that could actually lead the team. I saw nothing from Dwight last season that showed he could be that guy!!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think what Kobe said is the only reason he left by a long shot. I think his relationship with Kobe did play a major role in his decision. When you combine that with organizational moves it adds up to "I'm not staying around for more years of this BS" People that stay in situations where they don't like who they work with don't have any options or they are too lazy to move. Thats not an environment for success. Thats kind of an oxy moron wouldn't you agree?

I think that Kobe's presence in that meeting and what he may or may not have said, is being way overblown!!

If Kobe really did say what was reported, the only problem that I can see is that Kobe told him what he NEEDED to hear, rather than what he WANTED to hear!!

Ultimately, I think Dwight left because the Lakers didn't hire Phil Jackson. Kobe could have walked into the meeting and punched Dwight in the face and he'd still be a Laker if Phil was the coach!!

The problem for Dwight was that he really couldn't come out and say that he wanted Phil because he already was viewed as a "coach killer" because of Van Gundy and that would have made it even worse!!

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it seems kobe never really liked shaq because of his work ethic but yet they went to 4 straight finals together winning three championships. would you categorize that, as Kobe didnt have any options so he had to make the best of it?

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't speak for all Laker fans, but for myself and my friends who are Laker fans we were the "cautiously optimistic" that I mentioned in my previous post!! The majority of the folks calling in to the talk shows out here ranged from the cautious to the we don't want him. There were, of course, a few who thought getting him meant instant title, but overall, Laker fans were pretty lukewarm.

I was of the mindset that I was hoping he's buy into being a Laker and all that it means and that he would look at the trophies and great Laker centers of the past and want to be part of all of that, that it would motivate him.

As the season wore on, it became apparent that even if he decided to stay, he was not going to be the one who could lead the Lakers to more titles. If he stayed, the Lakers were still going to need a player that could actually lead the team. I saw nothing from Dwight last season that showed he could be that guy!!

:agree: :10:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems kobe never really liked shaq because of his work ethic but yet they went to 4 straight finals together winning three championships. would you categorize that, as Kobe didnt have any options so he had to make the best of it?

Shaq is the first one to say that he could have worked harder during his career.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight took a team to the finals as the lead man. That team wasnt that good. Hedo, jameer, Rashard lewis.. Dwight does need someone else. But i do think Dwight can be the lead man and win a title. Not sure it will happen, but I do think it could.

guys like carmelo or amar'e are guys i would say would never lead a team to the title (sorry doors). superstar players who dont play defense and are selfish are the type of superstars i think are most likely to end up ringless. dwight isnt like that.