• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shady McCoy a Bill

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least this year, we won't have to read the question; "Why would we draft an OT with the first pick?"

with this board, we'll still hear it from someone, not from me.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with this board, we'll still hear it from someone, not from me.

You have a point. I'll amend it.

At least this year, we won't have to read; "Why would we draft an OT with the 1st pick?" Followed by glowing accounts of our OL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least this year, we won't have to read; "Why would we draft an OT with the 1st pick?" Followed by glowing accounts of our OL.

Fog....touche'

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the bolded part....hardly. He's a top 5 back imo. That's all I wanted to say about that.

As for the part on Alonso, he also tore his ACL and sat out all last year. Not saying he can;t come back from that, but there's always an injury concern with him too.

I think the trade made sense for both parties imo. Kelly is making Philly HIS team, and he feels with his scheme any RB will do. I also think there was some tension between McCoy and Kelly last year that played a part in this.

Not sure I'd give up Levy, Slay, or Quin for McCoy, but I'd give up our 2nd this year for him, that's for sure. Might even give up our first, IF Suh comes back. We could then focus on our O-line and D-line depth. But all that is neither here nor there.
He can be a top-5 back and still be over-rated. And if he is a top-5 back, it's just barely. Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, and Le'Veon Bell are all better RBs than McCoy, imo, and I'd have a hard time putting him ahead of Demarco Murray right now, and Matt Forte is right in the mix, too. So somewhere in that 4 th to 7th best range for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good back, but he's just too far along in his career for me (hypothetically, of course) to be giving very much up for. I'd give up a low 2nd, or a 3rd, but two 2nd rounders, as was suggested earlier in the thread is just too much for me. I'd be very surprised if he has 3 more 1,000 yard seasons left in him. He certainly could prove me wrong, but history is not on his side. 1,500 carries is a lot of punishment for a RB...

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You said we wouldn't have to read it and then I'll be damned, right above my response, I find myself reading it...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. there's still some major issues with the Lions O-Line in any form of blocking, pass or run, so not sure why anyone would want an expensive RB like McCoy, that we can't afford this year for sure, in the 1st place (this is in reference to any posts "would have liked shady in D".

2. big difference in my above post with O-Line issues and drafting a RB this year, possibly 1st round but probably not going to happen, is that draft pick is going to come a lot cheaper. I like McCoy a lot and what he "might possibly provide", it's the question mark of possibly provide production-wise and cost on the books (yeah, Lewand could re-structure him too) that I'd pass on him.

3. I cannot, for the life of me, get past as to why so many posters want to be down on VanNoy, when he hasn't had much of an opportunity to show what he can do. Core surgery was no joke for him or anyone else to come back from in 8-10 weeks + the fact he missed too much development time in practice/game to make up for having any impact.

I can answer #1- Because McCoy makes his own yards. He doesn't need an elite O-line. Hence the reason he is an elite RB and everyone would like to see him on the Lions. Him playing on that turf for 8 games. Match made in heaven.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the answer is: To play Guard.

There is not an OT in the draft that can make it as an NFL tackle most likely. Of course some will, but none that look obvious at this point IMO.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the answer is: To play Guard.

There is not an OT in the draft that can make it as an NFL tackle most likely. Of course some will, but none that look obvious at this point IMO.
Let me just be the first to say "huh?"

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that the Eagles were about to offer McCoy for Suh if Suh was franchised. Funny how shortly after finding out Ndamukong wouldn't be tagged they agree to trade McCoy and a report surfaces that they want Suh.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling that the Eagles were about to offer McCoy for Suh if Suh was franchised. Funny how shortly after finding out Ndamukong wouldn't be tagged they agree to trade McCoy and a report surfaces that they want Suh.
They'd need to give up McCoy, two 1st round picks, and then some to even out the value on that one. Suh is worth at least 3 McCoys, imo...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TP, would it be better to get McCoy and a 1st rd (just one) pick from the Eagles for Suh, where now, if he leaves, we get a 3rd round Comp pick, NEXT YEAR (only). matching up contract values pretty much go out the door, when McCoy was nearly 12M per yr and only due to re-structures was Suh's final yr at 22M. It would have been right at 15M without those 2 re-structures he did in 2012/2013

I'd TAKE THAT #20 PICK THIS ND McCoy..............all day long... lots of possible maneuverability, IMO

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd need to give up McCoy, two 1st round picks, and then some to even out the value on that one. Suh is worth at least 3 McCoys, imo...

And you said I was a crack head??? What are you smoking? THERE IS NO VALUE(MEANING ZERO) FOR A FREE AGENT IN THE TRADE MARKET!

So while Suh is playing in Miami, please tell me more about you wouldn't want MCcoy without those 2 first rounders.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about if we signed Donnie Avery and since the Eagles pass a lot we can trade him to Philly for 5 first round picks?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you said I was a crack head??? What are you smoking? THERE IS NO VALUE(MEANING ZERO) FOR A FREE AGENT IN THE TRADE MARKET!

So while Suh is playing in Miami, please tell me more about you wouldn't want MCcoy without those 2 first rounders.

2Cents. I'm pretty sure he was going off of your assumption if Suh was franchised then he could be traded for McCoy, while also receiving in addition, two 1st rd picks and then some... 2 1st rd picks and then some, no way, IMO

your first quote makes sense but do you think the possibility of trading McCoy, while freeing up more cap space (they cut Herramans/Cole also) was to put them in a position to go after Suh in FA

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then how were the Eagles "about to trade" him to us? That's not fair for you to suggest that you thought it was in the works, hypothetically, but then I can't chime in that, in this hypothetical deal, McCoy doesn't have nearly enough value to be traded straight-up for Suh...

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get its hypothetical. Its because you thought all along it was a bad idea to franchise Suh, but now had we franchised him, you are saying you wouldn't trade him straight up for McCoy(getting Suh's $27 mil of the books) UNLESS they included the 2 first rounders AND more. They wouldn't have to give up more than that seeing as to how the tag only requires 2 first rounders. They couldve kept McCoy had they wanted. Which makes your hypothetical not even logical.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In theory, if you thought it was a bad idea to Tag Suh for $27 mil, then under any circumstance you would have traded him for ANY value greater than a 3rd round compensatory pick solely to not pay him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In ImaginaryVille, Id trade Suh fer Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins.

Better than nothing...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone had an interest in trading for Suh then why didn't we tag him with the non-exclusive??

I caught all kinds of grief for suggesting that I feared he would screw the team and immediately sign the offer rather than go see what his value was and then let the Lions withdraw the offer or do a sign and trade deal for a value greater than a late third in next years draft.

I am supremely confident that if he had a deal in place he was happy with that any team would gladly part with a second this year and perhaps a fourth next to secure his services this season.

The fact that we didn't do that says a lot to me about Suh, and none of it is good. If he doesn't want to sign a deal like I have mentioned in other threads then I'm glad to see him go.