• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SF vs. GB game notes

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could run on us all day, rack up 4 touchdowns, and still not score enough to beat Green Bay's offense. You talk about "keeping Aaron Rodgers off the field." As if that makes a lot of sense? He's a touchdown machine... How long do you think he needs to be on the field?

So what I'm saying is.... Why not go after our unproven rookie cornerback for some big plays and get some touchdowns? But whatever. You're the expert here apparently.

The more the game turns into a shootout, the more it favors the Packers. No one is denying that the Packers are elite on the offensive side of the ball. The best way for the Niners to grind out a win is to turn it into a game where time of possession is a factor. If the Niners are able to establish they can move the chains with the ground and pound, it will not only force the Packer offense to stay off the field, but it cuts the clock dramatically.

If for an extreme example, the Niners score 3 touchdowns and eat up 30 minutes of the clock and the Packers score 3 touchdowns in 15 minutes of possession, a lot of Niner fans would love their chances going into the fourth quarter with a tied game.

On the flip side if the Niners take more shots deep down the field and come up short, it gives the Packers that many more opportunities with the ball. The Niners, while capable, would feel much better if they didn't have to play catch up to the Packers offense.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what. All I was really saying; although I guess I could have put it on more robotic, formulaic terms so as not to offend the proponents of grind it out possession football around here, is that we have a rookie cornerback who was VERY burnable the last time I saw him play and I think it'd be crazy not to target him early and make the pass game a threat even going only 2 wide.

3 touchdowns with 15 minutes of possession? The Packers have proven even against good defenses that scoring 2 touchdowns in under five minutes of possession isn't too crazy to hope for....

Should be a good game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clyde is saying that probably Kap is the JUGS machine. Like, he throws to the DB's in drills or on their own time. We know for sure that all the QB's were throwing for drills to the offense and defense during camp.

Well, if Kaep is throwing to the DB's in drills, then yeah, no need for the JUGS machine. I just hadn't seen details of the reports of Kaep (and other QBs) throwing to the DBs. I think regular practice defense won't prepare them more than a JUGS machine, unless Kaep is throwing a lot of interceptions/batted balls. But with the drills, his comment makes sense. I should have paid more attention to the drills because I didn't know about that other than standard drills (as in I didn't know how much they did that).

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know what. All I was really saying; although I guess I could have put it on more robotic, formulaic terms so as not to offend the proponents of grind it out possession football around here, is that we have a rookie cornerback who was VERY burnable the last time I saw him play and I think it'd be crazy not to target him early and make the pass game a threat even going only 2 wide.

3 touchdowns with 15 minutes of possession? The Packers have proven even against good defenses that scoring 2 touchdowns in under five minutes of possession isn't too crazy to hope for....

Should be a good game.

if....IF you're correct about this rookie CB, i like the gist of your thinking. also, didn't the article earlier in this thread also question the rest of the DB's?

don't think i've agreed with this thinking for YEARS, but in this case i'd be ok with it. its like thinking WE'LL be the offensive scoring machine and forcing the Pack to catch up. WE'D use less time to score TD's and force the Pack to think "time of possession"?

again, only if their secondary is as bad as i'm thinking? this isn't to say we'll turn into a 'spread offense', nor ignore the run entirely? but not wait for the run to set up the pass.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, if Kaep is throwing to the DB's in drills, then yeah, no need for the JUGS machine. I just hadn't seen details of the reports of Kaep (and other QBs) throwing to the DBs. I think regular practice defense won't prepare them more than a JUGS machine, unless Kaep is throwing a lot of interceptions/batted balls. But with the drills, his comment makes sense. I should have paid more attention to the drills because I didn't know about that other than standard drills (as in I didn't know how much they did that).

pretty sure the article said both juggs machine and Kap throwing practice reps.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if....IF you're correct about this rookie CB, i like the gist of your thinking. also, didn't the article earlier in this thread also question the rest of the DB's?

don't think i've agreed with this thinking for YEARS, but in this case i'd be ok with it. its like thinking WE'LL be the offensive scoring machine and forcing the Pack to catch up. WE'D use less time to score TD's and force the Pack to think "time of possession"?

again, only if their secondary is as bad as i'm thinking? this isn't to say we'll turn into a 'spread offense', nor ignore the run entirely? but not wait for the run to set up the pass.

I think it would be a little dangerous to pick on Tramon Williams. A lot of people, Packer fans included, were really hard on him last season...but he was playing hurt. I think he's going to be back. The secondary has potential, but Davon House was probably going to be starting opposite Tramon Williams not Hayward. Hayward's learning curve is the biggest issue. Once in a while he looks really good, and then the next time you see him he's trailing his man by like 5 body lengths.

Also, I think Bush is our nickle guy...and he's always been a liability in coverage. Great blitzer, great special teams guy, but Vernon Davis will eat him alive. Which means Woodson will probably be on Davis, which means our "other" safety will probably be Hayward's help...not sure much help that really is. Williams will probably be isolated, and while I think he'll be awesome this year...no corner is going to go an entire game without getting beat.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some say that because they turn to the radar gun at the combine as evidence. At the combine that year:

Kaepernick: 59 MPH
Mallett: 58 MPH
Newton: 56 MPH

For me, having watched both of them quite a bit prior to the NFL and judging by what I've seen in games, Mallett has a stronger arm than Kaepernick by a bit. Not by alot, but a bit. Mallett might have the strongest arm I've seen since '98 if you take into account throwing to all levels of the field.

That's what I've seen from Mallet as well. Not taking anything away from Kaep and his abilties but Mallet's arm should be illegal.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Videos: Playbook: 49ers vs. Packers

Ok analysis I guess didn't know Mcnabb was on the show now. Didn't like the fact they showed preseason film on how if you "spread" the 49ers out we are susceptible to the pass/draw. Also didn't like the mention of a Brees throwing 4 TDs vs the 49ers in the playoffs when one was a blown coverage and one was a missed tackle.

I did like the things Millen said though I believe

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shit is making me nervous. Everytime I turn around someone else is picking the 9ers to win. I heard a few people on talk radio pick em, Steven A. Smith and Skip just picked em, and everyone I have talked to is leaning 9ers. I haven't heard hardly anybody pick GB. This reminds me of DAL @ NYG on Wednesday. Everyone was on NYG. I don't know what the spread is, but I pray that we are underdogs.

The graphics for that segment was stupid. I will bet you 1 trillion billion dollars that the Niners are not playing the Packers in the Super Bowl this year. (The graphic said "Super Bowl Preview?" for the two NFC teams.)

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ordered Aldon's Jersey because he's going to play a little longer (longetivity). Believe it or not, he's still relatively unknown to a lot of people (real fans of course are aware of Aldon), but I want to be that guy who taunts them when Aldon gets his sacks.

I felt the same way. All my friends at my fantasy football draft was like why didn't you get Gore, V. Davis, Willis etc instead of Aldon. My response you will see soon enough. :whoo:

S/N my post count is 99 that's some kind of omen right?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing about our team this year offensively. We can exploit matchups this year all over the field.

We have a great run blocking Oline with a stable of more than just Gore at RB. I think this will be the matchup we use against the Packers. I don't see them being able to shut down a steady diet or Gore, Hunter, and Jacobs all day long.

We can also create matchup problems in the passing game now as well. Moss maybe older but defenses still have to respect him and he is a matchup problem anytime we are in the redzone because of his size. Vernon Davis will always command attention as he is by far Alex favorite target. Then you have Crabtree and Manningham to contend with and you almost can't afford to double cover either of them.

I think our passing attack is being badly underrated going into this year. We will not be a very easy team to shut down by just focusing on Davis and Crabtree like we were last year.

The running game as scary as this sounds will be vastly better than a year ago as well. Jacobs looks rejuvenated and Hunter proved himself last year as a great change of pace to Gore. Gore might slow down some but I see him getting less carries per game this year which should keep him fresh throughout the season. If someone is banged up or hurt then well we drafted James who is not slouch himself at running the ball.

I think early in the season teams will probably stack the box and dare Alex to beat them even with the improved weapons, and that will prove to be a mistake. Then again if you don't stack the box it will be awfully hard to stop our running attack. So pick your poison because our offense looks very well rounded to start the year.

I'm honestly more concerned about our defense going into this year. Can they keep getting pressure? Will Aldon improve? Can the LB's stay healthy? Was last year a fluke for Rodgers? We were a great D last year and we will be again this year, but are we really that good is my concern. One thing is for sure we will find out Sunday against the Packers.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The graphics for that segment was stupid. I will bet you 1 trillion billion dollars that the Niners are not playing the Packers in the Super Bowl this year. (The graphic said "Super Bowl Preview?" for the two NFC teams.)

Quoting myself because I'm refering to the same segment.

Skip Bayless looked like Michael Scott from The Office when he was arguing that Tebow was going to lead the Jets to the playoffs because he was pretty accurate when throwing to wide open receivers. I wish I had it on youtube.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is the thing about our team this year offensively. We can exploit matchups this year all over the field.

We have a great run blocking Oline with a stable of more than just Gore at RB. I think this will be the matchup we use against the Packers. I don't see them being able to shut down a steady diet or Gore, Hunter, and Jacobs all day long.

We can also create matchup problems in the passing game now as well. Moss maybe older but defenses still have to respect him and he is a matchup problem anytime we are in the redzone because of his size. Vernon Davis will always command attention as he is by far Alex favorite target. Then you have Crabtree and Manningham to contend with and you almost can't afford to double cover either of them.

I think our passing attack is being badly underrated going into this year. We will not be a very easy team to shut down by just focusing on Davis and Crabtree like we were last year.

The running game as scary as this sounds will be vastly better than a year ago as well. Jacobs looks rejuvenated and Hunter proved himself last year as a great change of pace to Gore. Gore might slow down some but I see him getting less carries per game this year which should keep him fresh throughout the season. If someone is banged up or hurt then well we drafted James who is not slouch himself at running the ball.

I think early in the season teams will probably stack the box and dare Alex to beat them even with the improved weapons, and that will prove to be a mistake. Then again if you don't stack the box it will be awfully hard to stop our running attack. So pick your poison because our offense looks very well rounded to start the year.

I'm honestly more concerned about our defense going into this year. Can they keep getting pressure? Will Aldon improve? Can the LB's stay healthy? Was last year a fluke for Rodgers? We were a great D last year and we will be again this year, but are we really that good is my concern. One thing is for sure we will find out Sunday against the Packers.

last year we did "ok" offensively due to all the turnovers. this year we'll have less turnoves, but upgraded personnel plus an off-season. so now it'll be a matter of how many TD's versus FG's? c'mon Alex Smith!

agree defensively, it'll be how much pressure we can apply? i think the pressure will be more balanced between Aldon and Brooks? not the same, but the difference will be closer than last year. Aldon around 12 and Brooks about 9 sacks.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I were the D I wouldn't stack the box or sit back in coverage. TBH, if I were the D I would just bring pressure hard and early until the Oline and Alex proved they could beat it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
NFL Videos: Playbook: 49ers vs. Packers

Ok analysis I guess didn't know Mcnabb was on the show now. Didn't like the fact they showed preseason film on how if you "spread" the 49ers out we are susceptible to the pass/draw. Also didn't like the mention of a Brees throwing 4 TDs vs the 49ers in the playoffs when one was a blown coverage and one was a missed tackle.

I did like the things Millen said though I believe

Normally I like their analysis favorable to the 49ers or not but this one seems off.

Not because they all picked the Packers or anything but I don't seriously see Cedric Benson being a huge factor in the game at all. Our defense destroyed the run last season and even spread out our down lineman are good enough to stuff Benson.

Also I agree with them in that the best way for the Packers to attack is to spread us out but really the defense did really well against the Saints offense until they went all stupid in the 4th Quarter. In the first 3 quarters the Saints only had 14 points so it's not like the defense can't hang when getting spread out.

So overall I was hoping for some deeper analysis from the guys than what they offered especially for a marquee matchup like this one.

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have the same Willis knockoff jersey and was wondering the same about the new Nike unis...

I got a knockoff Alex Smith jersey and they feel and fit great. The only thing I can tell that is wrong with it is one of the Nike symbols on the sleeve is backwards.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a knockoff Alex Smith jersey and they feel and fit great. The only thing I can tell that is wrong with it is one of the Nike symbols on the sleeve is backwards.

Where did you get it from and how much?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL COUNTDOWN (ESPN): Kyle Williams' Segment is next.

Just in case you guys were interested in watching it. Unlike that little kid (in that video segment) who showed him tremendous support, I am still not over it. See my profile pic.

Anyway, just 9er news I'm passing along to the Niners faithfuls.