• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SF vs. GB game notes

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks, but we have our own game thread. I'm pretty confident it will be more active than yours.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What??!!! Harbaugh than hit his pads. Strange

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Packers read that sweep pretty well and yet we still got positive yards

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Blog and Q&A: Akers has hall-of-fame encounter after big kick

Akers said he was good from 61 yards before the game, and knew if the situation arose he'd have a chance.

That situation came about just before the half. The 49ers defense forced the Packers to punt with 32 seconds remaining and Kyle Williams returned it 20 yards to the San Francisco 38. Then, on his only play of the game, quarterback Colin Kaepernick gained 17 yards on a run.

When he entered the league in 1998, Akers said there was some talk the strong-legged youngster might flirt with the distance record for field goals. In fact, he made a 72 yarder in practice when he was 25. He didn't think the record would come when he was 37 years old.

----------------------------------

I'd feel better about trusting this if somebody other than Dixon said this:

"I was standing beside the officials, and I heard the conversation," Dixon said. "It was ridiculous. Whoever that official was, it seemed like his confidence was bad. Because he had the call, and he let the (other) dude come in and talk him out of it. He's got to stick with that."

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Blog and Q&A: Akers has hall-of-fame encounter after big kick

Akers said he was good from 61 yards before the game, and knew if the situation arose he'd have a chance.

That situation came about just before the half. The 49ers defense forced the Packers to punt with 32 seconds remaining and Kyle Williams returned it 20 yards to the San Francisco 38. Then, on his only play of the game, quarterback Colin Kaepernick gained 17 yards on a run.

When he entered the league in 1998, Akers said there was some talk the strong-legged youngster might flirt with the distance record for field goals. In fact, he made a 72 yarder in practice when he was 25. He didn't think the record would come when he was 37 years old.

----------------------------------

I'd feel better about trusting this if somebody other than Dixon said this:

"I was standing beside the officials, and I heard the conversation," Dixon said. "It was ridiculous. Whoever that official was, it seemed like his confidence was bad. Because he had the call, and he let the (other) dude come in and talk him out of it. He's got to stick with that."

I don't doubt dixon, i saw it myself they did lack confidence. Even when they called out the penalties on the mic you could hear the uncertainty in their voice, all the flags where really slow too.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers beat Green Bay Packers 30-22 - San Jose Mercury News

"I saw Aaron Rodgers give Jordy Nelson a couple signals, and I knew he was coming at me," Culliver said. "I just had to play tight."

-----

Rodgers got sacked three times, and the final one came from Ahmad Brooks to help thwart that final drive. Brooks credited defensive coordinator Vic Fangio for that sack, saying it came on a call they hadn't used all game and only after previous calls set up that play.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Even Akers' record-tying kick was a group effort

Williams played a key role in a sequence in which Akers kicked two field goals in the final 55 seconds of the first half to give the 49ers a 16-7 halftime lead. Williams returned a Tim Masthay punt 20 yards to give the 49ers the ball at their own 38 with :18 remaining in the half.

"First, the defense came up with a big stop after we put the field goal on the board," Williams said. "At first, we were looking at a situation where we might just fair-catch it.

"But then coach (special teams coordinator Brad) Seely came over and said, 'No, try to run it back. Let's try to get something out of this.' He (Masthay) put it out there and gave me some space. I did what I could with it. I still think I could've broken a tackle and gotten a little more."