• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SF vs. GB game notes

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ready for Sunday other than the fact I have to work Monday.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A Week 1 game plan that’s five months in the making — or perhaps done by May | 49ers Hot Read

Perrish Cox indeed will serve as the No. 4 cornerback in place of incumbent Tramaine Brock, Fangio said. Rather than add a third safety on passing downs, Cox likely will enter as a sixth defensive back.

makes sense because we were reading how Cox is better at covering the slot. so if GB goes four wide, then we need four cover guys, two of them on the slot receivers.

as we all know, it'll come down to how much pressure we can apply?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that so? Because running the ball, eating the clock, and keeping Aaron Rodgers on the sideline would be a ridiculous gameplan, right?

Well that would work nicely if you could guarantee touchdowns the way Aaron Rodgers can guarantee touchdowns...even against your rock solid defense. You might as well immediately send the message that GB can't think run all day. That changes their mentality right away and freaks Capers out. Just saying.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roman philosophizes about the read option, and more - Inside the 49ers

As far what they’re going to do, have you sat down with defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, obviously very familiar with that, at least the concepts of that defensive system and kind of pick his brain about that defense?

“Well that defense really was founded in ’92 in Pittsburgh, and it has stood the test of time to say the least. Vic knows it as well as anybody. The great thing for us is we get to practice against it every day now. Now, there are some differences, and the personnel is different. But, Vic’s a great resource for football. Vic’s been a great resource for me my entire career. He is one of the smartest football coaches I’ve ever met. I ask Vic about every team we play, to be quite honest with you because he is an encyclopedia of football. Every team we play, I will talk to Vic about at times. So, this defense being no different.”

----------------

On the read option:

What about the inspiration for it, where did you learn?

“My first knowledge of it, the head coach at Western Kentucky now, who I worked with, Willie Taggart. Really was a very good teacher. He and I sat down at Stanford, and he coached me up on a lot of different things. And it just kind of, like anything else, evolves from there. But Willie was really the first guy that taught me all the little different aspects of it.”

Last edited by a moderator:

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His comment on defenders not needing to use the JUGS machine to prepare for Rodgers strong arm because Kaepernick has a strong arm doesn't make sense unless Kaep is throwing interceptions in practice. Yes, they can see his strong arm with completions, but they couldn't get better at catching from seeing it. He has intercepted darts from Kaep this offseason I'm assuming, but nothing that would carry over to not prepare for Rodger's strong arm.

For those who didn't see it or the context:

Q: Is it unique that he throws before receivers are open and he doesn’t throw a lot of interceptions?

WHITNER: A lot of times when (defenders) get their hands on the ball, it’s coming so fast that a lot of DBs aren’t catching it. It’s tipping off their hands or their chest. (Rodgers) loves seam routes, so we’re going to have to be ready for that.

Q: Did you have to turn up the velocity on the JUGS machine this week?

WHITNER: I don’t think you have to do that when you have a guy like Kaepernick throwing the ball that hard. I’ve never caught a football as hard as Kaepernick throws. I don’t know if they measure how hard quarterbacks throw in the NFL, but I guarantee Kaepernick’s in the top 5.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rethought it through, I guess it makes sense as far as reaction time, I just didn't think the JUGS machine had anything to do with it. Also, though, it's not like we would get our hands on Rodgers' throws any more than Kaepernick throws, especially over the span of the off-season. I just got a bit distracted by the JUGS machine. Jugs can have that effect. ;) :squeeze:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that would work nicely if you could guarantee touchdowns the way Aaron Rodgers can guarantee touchdowns...even against your rock solid defense. You might as well immediately send the message that GB can't think run all day. That changes their mentality right away and freaks Capers out. Just saying.

That doesn't make any sense.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His comment on defenders not needing to use the JUGS machine to prepare for Rodgers strong arm because Kaepernick has a strong arm doesn't make sense unless Kaep is throwing interceptions in practice. Yes, they can see his strong arm with completions, but they couldn't get better at catching from seeing it. He has intercepted darts from Kaep this offseason I'm assuming, but nothing that would carry over to not prepare for Rodger's strong arm.

For those who didn't see it or the context:

Umm, or it could mean that, instead of using the JUGS machine, they have Kaepernick throwing them the ball.

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.