• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serena shows the world her true colors

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this isn't exactly new behavior from Serena, but it appears to have gone farther than it ever has in the past. (I can't recall the last time I ever heard of a player being penalized a game)

Sucks for Osaka to have her moment tarnished, but nothing will change for Serena. She will win other matches, including more slams, and she will continue to behave poorly when she loses.

mcenroe was kicked out of the australian open

in this match serena got a point penalty on match point.

US Open 2009: Serena Williams unrepentant for rant after Kim Clijsters defeat

The American was beaten 6-4, 7-5 by the Belgian in a match that finished in controversy when she was given a point penalty at match point down after turning on a lineswoman.

It was never confirmed what Williams had said to the lineswoman, but the on-court microphones picked up her saying to the official in an argument: "I never said I would kill you, are you serious?"

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it does get called, although not frequently. regardless it was just a warning. serena going down 4-3 had more to do with her meltdown than a warning she got 6 games prior.
she definitely has a trigger that goes off and she loses that mental edge. I have been there. Tennis is a tough sport and keeping composure is not always an easy things to do...and she is probably putting a ton of pressure on herself.

But she lost the match and let it get to her. Naomi played a great match and deserves the W.

I am still not happy with the crowd...not just for this match. The fans were shitting the entire tournament.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
she definitely has a trigger that goes off and she loses that mental edge. I have been there. Tennis is a tough sport and keeping composure is not always an easy things to do...and she is probably putting a ton of pressure on herself.

But she lost the match and let it get to her. Naomi played a great match and deserves the W.

I am still not happy with the crowd...not just for this match. The fans were shitting the entire tournament.
naomi not only outplayed serena, but also outserved her. serena was likely a heavy favorite to win, and just came crashing down to earth.

it's amazing these young people can perform and keep composed on such a big stage, but serena's a veteran, and world class champion, so her behavior is a little surprising.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is absolutely insane to me that people are actually praising her. It reminded me of when Reece Witherspoon got a dui and played the “do you know who I am” card. She belittled a ref to feed her ego when she was clearly wrong. She should be offering him an apology today. Instead it will spun and set a perfect example of what is wrong with this country. everything is politically motivated today.

The sad part is that people who have played the game and follow believe there is double standards while others who do not even follow tennis join in because of whatever reason. Hell, I saw my own favorite player and the greatest tennis player that ever played Roger Federer, used profanities against an umpire. It wasn't treated as anything as chair abuse. And he is not alone. A lot of male tennis players have used worst words to officiating and I can list them here but not treated equally. Certainly no politics involved. Unbelievable.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sad part is that people who have played the game and follow believe there is double standards while others who do not even follow tennis join in because of whatever reason. Hell, I saw my own favorite player and the greatest tennis player that ever played Roger Federer, used profanities against an umpire. It wasn't treated as anything as chair abuse. And he is not alone. A lot of male tennis players have used worst words to officiating and I can list them here but not treated equally. Certainly no politics involved. Unbelievable.

federer doesn't have a history of it, and he probably didn't carry on with it for 30 minutes.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both sides were wrong

the chair ump should not have chosen that time to make an example of someone. Coaches are constantly making hand signals and trying to coach and that kind of shit is never called. If the US Open wanted to crack down on it, the women's final was a terrible time to start doing it, especially in the very crucial point in the match. That's shitty.

and yea, Serena lost her shit and she shouldn't have. That was unfortunate.

and I am very disappointed in the fans booing during the award ceremony. US fans are trash.

Fans are emotional in every sport unfortunately. I am old enough to remember what happened in 2001 at Indian Wells where the Williams sisters were booed that led to the boycott by the sisters until 14 years later. Serena won the title similar to what the young Naomi experienced.
“When Venus and I were walking down the stairs to our seats, people kept calling me [expletive],” Williams said. “One guy said, ‘I wish it was ’75; we’d skin you alive.’ That’s when I stopped and walked toward that way. Then I realized that (my) best bet was to handle the situation non-violently. I had trouble holding back tears. I think Indian Wells disgraced America.” Culled from ttps://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/02/serena-williams-end-indian-wells-boycott-14-years-after-racist-incident

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
federer doesn't have a history of it, and he probably didn't carry on with it for 30 minutes.

You don't need history to tell you that we either apply it equally or not.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition, with tennis they coach all the time and rarely do you see this code violation application much more in a championship match.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this isn't exactly new behavior from Serena, but it appears to have gone farther than it ever has in the past. (I can't recall the last time I ever heard of a player being penalized a game)

Sucks for Osaka to have her moment tarnished, but nothing will change for Serena. She will win other matches, including more slams, and she will continue to behave poorly when she loses.

I assure you Osaka's moment is not tarnished. She will get all the endorsement she wants and probably move on to more titles . But over the span of her career which is longer than any women tennis player with exception of her sister this has happened only a few times. Players are always emotional or violate code in tennis all the time without the response or penalization of a game the way Serena is treated. That is the double standards.

Steve Harris

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow....her tirade was sickening. Did the main victim (Miss Osaka) ever get an apology from this "icon?"

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't need history to tell you that we either apply it equally or not.

it was applied equally. serena acted like a jerk. she could have easily gotten a code violation for her behavior in the first encounter with the umpire.

if serena doesn't lose her lead, this never happens.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
naomi not only outplayed serena, but also outserved her. serena was likely a heavy favorite to win, and just came crashing down to earth.

it's amazing these young people can perform and keep composed on such a big stage, but serena's a veteran, and world class champion, so her behavior is a little surprising.
it is pretty amazing.

but like I said, I think Serena is putting a ton of pressure on herself to make that comeback and claim the top spot again.

and meanwhile, it almost feels like the WTA is trying to push her out so a new generation can win...even though they are winning now.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can kind of agree with you. I thought she was respecting of the chair until she wasn't. I have seen much worse behavior from some men on the tour without a penalty ever given.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is pretty amazing.

but like I said, I think Serena is putting a ton of pressure on herself to make that comeback and claim the top spot again.

and meanwhile, it almost feels like the WTA is trying to push her out so a new generation can win...even though they are winning now.

the wta is backing her this morning. they've always coddled serena.

US Open 2018: Serena Williams' claims of sexism backed by WTA

i doubt serena is concerned about #1 as much as winning more slams, and equaling cljisters defeat of her after having a child.

serena just does not take losing well. getting dominated is an unfamiliar role for her.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was applied equally. serena acted like a jerk. she could have easily gotten a code violation for her behavior in the first encounter with the umpire.

if serena doesn't lose her lead, this never happens.

And if the so-called experienced umpire does not become the story and go on an ego trip himself by applying code violations rarely applied in major championships this whole thing would not have happened. Players are allowed to play and coaches are seen openly coaching with hand signals and even "eat your banana."
Make it not about yourself but the game. This all Serena meltdown nonsense is just that. Why do you think men are allowed to change their shirts on the court but women are not allowed? Djokovic has been practically half- naked. This is complete nonsense.
People who are condemning Serena are doing more than what actually happened.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can kind of agree with you. I thought she was respecting of the chair until she wasn't. I have seen much worse behavior from some men on the tour without a penalty ever given.

ill, trust me, I am older enough to have seen it all where Andre Agassi cursed at umpire with profanities and spat at the umpire. This is all because it is Serena, the black woman. Even people who don't follow tennis or played the game are condemning him after this has been highlighted in the media.