• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DHgonu5XoAE-EW2.jpg

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Good old Watson! You are the one fixed point in a changing age. There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less, and a cleaner, better, stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared."

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

left out of that was the end of the interview Robin Roberts asks ... Is there something you would like to say to the president

long pause

"think before you speak"

good luck with that

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
left out of that was the end of the interview Robin Roberts asks ... Is there something you would like to say to the president

long pause

"think before you speak"

good luck with that

Yes, good catch jstew - I heard somebody made a comment this morning on that "think before you speak" line and it was essentially "The thing is maybe the President is doing exactly that and these are his thoughts".

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand Andrew Young makes some great points:

Andrew Young: Fights over Confederate symbolism are ‘a mistake’ | Political Insider

Don't go by the title, read what he says about the cost of the fight to remove these symbols.
It is really a shame that we have them in the first place but we can focus our efforts other ways.

Exactly. And this is exactly what Steve Bannon wants us to do. From his recent interview...

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

Instead of slowly turning against Trump, this allows the right to have a "where does it end?" mentality that digs them in further.

I'm not pro-Confederate statues and I certainly think that on statehouse grounds and the like its' inappropriate, but it's the political cost. We've made a lot of civil rights progress over the last 50 years with them there. And hell, if you leave them there, it's like a map where you know these Nazi fuckheads will go and start chanting about Jews, showing that they don't really give a shit about the statues either, it's just a pretext for their fucked up nativist agenda.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And this is exactly what Steve Bannon wants us to do. From his recent interview...

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

Instead of slowly turning against Trump, this allows the right to have a "where does it end?" mentality that digs them in further.

I'm not pro-Confederate statues and I certainly think that on statehouse grounds and the like its' inappropriate, but it's the political cost. We've made a lot of civil rights progress over the last 50 years with them there. And hell, if you leave them there, it's like a map where you know these Nazi fuckheads will go and start chanting about Jews, showing that they don't really give a shit about the statues either, it's just a pretext for their fucked up nativist agenda.
Can't wait for the controversy about abandoning the fight to remove statues and how it's racist to choose to eradicate racism in other ways than in this way.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell you guys how much I am looking forward to September 16th here in DC.

We are going to have a pro-Trump rally and a Juggalo rally on the same day. That is going to be hilarious.

Check it.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s another reason why firing Bannon wouldn’t be a huge loss: his work is largely done.

Before the 2016 election, many white Americans felt marginalized – relegated in the country they once defined. Many, particularly those in post-industrial regions, had lost once stable jobs and their income has declined. Far worse for many, they felt like they had lost their sense of political clout and social status in American society.

During three years of polling and fieldwork in white working-class communities leading up to Trump’s election, I found this marginality anchored by three key sentiments – that many white Americans feel outnumbered, excluded and discriminated against.

In data from the nonpartisan, nationally representative American National Election Study (Anes) survey in 2016, white working-class people are more likely to deny the advantages that white people continue to possess, and express a sense that they are subject to unique disadvantages that reinforce their externality. A near majority of white working-class people – white people without university degrees – believed that being white made no difference to their fate in today’s society.

Steve Bannon's work is done. Donald Trump can fire him now | Justin Gest

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I just ran out of popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.