• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SECN revenue > B1G and PAC combined, plus 115 mil

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the schools, useless for anyone else.

More money coming into my programs is good for me because it makes my team/program stronger.

It's the same reason the SEC has revenue sharing, etc.

I'm surprised that's not like extremely obvious.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas will always have the best facilities, better players and the game day experience has been awesome since my days as a child/student. Plus, I've been a member of the Longhorn Foundation since '04 (I donate the minimum, not trying to sound like I'm a baller), so I've been donating to all of this. Just saying, I'm not going around jumping up and down from all of the revenue the school is generating from the LHN. I'm very glad it's doing great things for the school on the athletic and academic side.

Understand all that. And I'm not going to go around thumping my chest about how much A&M gets from the PUF or SEC or anything else.

But I'm also not going to pretend that as a fan it doesn't benefit me in any way.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has it all, yet can't manage to do shit with it.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great that the conference has a network of their own now, I can't tell you how happy it makes me during the offseason to get to watch replays of Wisconsin games, especially this time of year when the wait is killer. From the programs I've checked out it looks like the SEC network is basically following the same type of game plan as BTN, which is cool, especially with solid hosts.

Now as far as the revenue thing goes.. who cares? SEC network is costing customers twice as much as the BTN, so obviously it'd make more money. Good for the schools, useless for anyone else.

With Charter it's on the same package I already have so I'm not paying any more than I was before as far as I know. We just have the "basic" package in our office here at work and it's on there too. :noidea:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Charter it's on the same package I already have so I'm not paying any more than I was before as far as I know. We just have the "basic" package in our office here at work and it's on there too. :noidea:

Yeah, didn't cost me anything either.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has it all, yet can't manage to do shit with it.

you are a fan of one of the few schools that I guess can say that. They have a couple of appearances in a certain bowl that disagrees with that. One of em they won.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More money coming into my programs is good for me because it makes my team/program stronger.

It's the same reason the SEC has revenue sharing, etc.

I'm surprised that's not like extremely obvious.

Well doesn't every major conference have revenue sharing?

Sure, more money is going to help pay for more of the athletic expenses, but realistically that benefit to a fan is tertiary at best. The B1G had the highest conference payouts last year and it's not like it made them the best conference.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are a fan of one of the few schools that I guess can say that. They have a couple of appearances in a certain bowl that disagrees with that. One of em they won.

4down20 has been a loyal Bama fan since 2009.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I know is I hear about how Texas can do this, how Texas has this, and Texas has that, but yet they don't seem to actually do it.

Was the same stuff earlier this year with the whole Saban thing and how Texas can buy him and how Texas has the most money and how Texas blah blah blah. Yet, obviously they didn't.

Which is funny because they are always talking about the money Texas has, but someone makes a thread about SEC revenue/money and suddenly the money doesn't matter to them. And why? Oh because they have so much of it already. Yet, they are obviously butthurt about the whole thing.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me wonder..."What IF..."

L Scott had been able to pursade Texas and Oklahoma into the PAC a few years back?

Good gawd what a conference that would have been, maybe next time.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure why it's good for fans of SEC sports. You receiving a check? Grant it, this is great for the individual schools for sure.
Now you aren't even trying. What is good for my school, is obviously good for me as a fan. Duh. Why do you think UT did their network? They thought they would make a pile of money which would help them field better teams which helps you as a fan. If you can't figure that you, you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The LHN was created for alumni/students/fans of the University of Texas, so I'm pretty sure it will be dwarfed by conference networks. Did you come up with that one all by yourself, guy?
Hey, its you and the other UT tool arguing about how great the LHN is, not me. Take the pot shots, but be ready to defend the nonsense you spout out, guy!

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So ESPN is paying more money to the schools? Big deal. Thats not a gauge on how well the network is doing.
Not how it works. That it is in 75 million households at launch is a gauge as to how well it is doing. Remember, the only reason your conference diluted itself with Maryland and Rutgers was number of households the B1G network could get into. We debated that over and over. Launching at 75 million households is a huge deal.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ... I am not even in an SEC state and it is part of my basic package. I pay nothing extra, other than the fact that at some point Time Warner may have to raise everyone's bill.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, its you and the other UT tool arguing about how great the LHN is, not me. Take the pot shots, but be ready to defend the nonsense you spout out, guy!

The LHN is great, if you're an alum, fan or student, there is no denying that. But you're trying to compare a conference network to a school's network. Not sure what nonsense I'm spouting out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The LHN is great, if you're an alum, fan or student, there is no denying that. But you're trying to compare a conference network to a school's network. Not sure what nonsense I'm spouting out.

I sure do hope one day the SEC network will be great if you are an alum, fan or student of an SEC school instead of it being for Putin.

Fuck Putin IMO.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are kind of conflating two threads. In another thread, the other UT fan ridiculed conference networks and bragged about the LHN. It was he who was comparing the two.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
TV revenue is huge and its importance should be self evident. Texas has all the money and facilities but how did it get them? With money. Texas runs the Big XII because it has the money. If anyone should understand the importance of money it should be Texas fans. They are just so used to having all the money they don't realize what it's like to not have it. The importance of any given additional $ made isn't important to them but when combined it is very important.

If you need an example of how important money is to a conference look no further than my PAC. They expanded to add a championship game, launched their own network and more importantly got a new TV deal. In three years the play has gotten better every year. New facilities, better coaches and the ability to retain the good coaches and even poach good coaches from other places.

Conference network deals are very nice and they are important, but depending on the conference they don't help teams against their competition (conference) because the money is divided equally among everyone. The LHN is a much bigger advantage for Texas than what teams in SEC, B1G or Pac get because it not only provides them with more total money but it also provides them with more money than everyone in their conference. Also remember that the SEC revenue is divided by 14 while TLN was originally divided by 1 (although that may have changed after the conference nearly collapsed). I'd rather have all of $15 million than 1/14 of $150 million.

One thing to consider though when weighing these conference TV network deals is they are all structured differently. I know the PAC owns their network completely. They may not generate the revenue now but any growth will bill all theirs as opposed to half of the growth with other conference networks that have production partners.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm back. Yes, its great for those 14 fanbases to share a network, glad its financially working out.