• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC not so deep this year...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Missouri a joke schedule?

I rated it as the toughest schedule in all of college football last year, and I wasn't the only one.

This year it appears to be easier, but still have it as the toughest so far(subject to change before the season is over, but it's still in the ballpark for toughest).

I don't get it.
I think he is saying our OOC schedule is a joke. We get 2 softies and 2 low level bowl teams.

And then @Vandy, @Georgia, South Carolina and Florida.

OP be trolling

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the SEC teams are overrated, but thats what happens when the NC comes out of your conference like 6x in a row.

I've seen flaws in each of the teams. Actually, LSU looks to be the best of the bunch so far this season. Wouldn't be surprised if they win the West.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the SEC teams are overrated, but thats what happens when the NC comes out of your conference like 6x in a row.

I've seen flaws in each of the teams. Actually, LSU looks to be the best of the bunch so far this season. Wouldn't be surprised if they win the West.

I most certainly would be. Bama is still definitely the cream of the crop in the West, but I will say that I think LSU will have no problem moving the ball on A&M. Plus, don't forget LSU gets Georgia and Florida while Bama gets nobody from the East.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The west is still pretty open between: Alabama, LSU, A&M

Georgia on the East is still in it. Clemson is a top team and it wasn't a blow out. Especially if South Carolina manages to beat Clemson towards the end of the year and Georgia wins the SEC East and eventually the SECCG.

South Carolina could be an outside shot. Same for Florida, as they shot themselves in the foot. Yet if either of these teams finish the season undefeated and win the conference, they will get serious consideration, depending on the records of other teams from other conference. These 2 I'd consider long shots, but they are still in it.

3 really solid shots, 1 pretty decent shots, and 2 long shots = 6 potential contenders.

I don't think USC has lost their last game this season. I think Florida will get crushed by FSU, and if Driskel plays the way he did against the U, they most definitely will lose another SEC game.

A&M looks good so far, but assuming they lose to Alabama, I'm not sure how they would make the NC if they don't win the East somehow, which would then require Alabama to lose 2 games, taking them out. Same goes for LSU/Bama, which I think are the two best teams in the conference this year.

Realistically, the chances of another SEC rematch title game are slim. So at this point, it's only week 3 and I think the SEC is down to 3 title contenders, in LSU, Bama, and Georgia. I think that number drops after the LSU/Bama game

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I most certainly would be. Bama is still definitely the cream of the crop in the West, but I will say that I think LSU will have no problem moving the ball on A&M. Plus, don't forget LSU gets Georgia and Florida while Bama gets nobody from the East.

Only have the one game sample to go by for Alabama. Maybe the Virginia tech defense is just that good. I came away from the game thinking if VT had a better qb they could have won that game. What will we see vs a&m? Either way Alabama is I good shape win or lose. They have 6-7 straight games vs weak opponents. Sure team sec will try to argue but come on. Colorado state, Georgia state, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, ole miss. Half country would beat those teams. Not to mention the lone road game is Kentucky.

So yeah Alabama probably had some flaws and weaknesses to expose. Don't play many teams capable of doing it

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only have the one game sample to go by for Alabama. Maybe the Virginia tech defense is just that good. I came away from the game thinking if VT had a better qb they could have won that game. What will we see vs a&m? Either way Alabama is I good shape win or lose. They have 6-7 straight games vs weak opponents. Sure team sec will try to argue but come on. Colorado state, Georgia state, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee, ole miss. Half country would beat those teams. Not to mention the lone road game is Kentucky.

So yeah Alabama probably had some flaws and weaknesses to expose. Don't play many teams capable of doing it

Thats what I saw in the VT game too. Came away very unimpressed with 'Bama's Offense. Some of that is week 1 slop I'm sure combined with 3 new starters, but I'm not certain an O-Line can really gel until late in a season.

I guess we will see. I was impressed with LSU's offense vs TCU. They always have a stingy D, if their offense can score 28+ a game, they will be very difficult to beat. Schedule works against them, but it is what it is.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think USC has lost their last game this season. I think Florida will get crushed by FSU, and if Driskel plays the way he did against the U, they most definitely will lose another SEC game.

The FSU game doesn't come into SEC play. If UGa runs the SEC table, we go to the SECCG. BUT, we have LSU and the Gators to play, as well as Mizzou (who knows), UT, Auburn, and Vandy. I see all 4 as possible trap games.

A&M looks good so far, but assuming they lose to Alabama, I'm not sure how they would make the NC if they don't win the East somehow, which would then require Alabama to lose 2 games, taking them out. Same goes for LSU/Bama, which I think are the two best teams in the conference this year.

TAMU is in the West, not the East, so they can't win the East. We see this every year in the East ... UGa or USCe wins against each other in game 2, the other one has to hope for that team to lose 2 SEC games, and they have to beat UF. It's a tried a true formula UGa has used to get into the SECCG the past 2 years. Once Auburn and UT get back to strength it will be more complicated.

But, that will really be the West this year. TAMU or Bama loser has to hope the other loses two games, and they have to beat LSU.

Realistically, the chances of another SEC rematch title game are slim. So at this point, it's only week 3 and I think the SEC is down to 3 title contenders, in LSU, Bama, and Georgia. I think that number drops after the LSU/Bama game

I agree with this only because I don't think people have the stomach for it, even if the teams might arguably deserve it. No one, not even Team SEC, wants two SEC teams in the NC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can think teams are going to lose, but you can't rule them out until they actually lose. Within reason of course.

If A&M beats Alabama and LSU, then they will win the west.

I don't count South Carolina out because last year they beat Georgia and yet Georgia ended up winning the East, and would have went to the NCG had they beaten Alabama in the SECCG. Florida hasn't lost to a SEC team yet, so they aren't out of it either.

Until some of these better teams get 2 losses on them, which is no doubt going to happen since there is alot of cross play between them, they are all still contenders. Of course by the end of the year that is going to be narrowed down to only 1, but right now it's still 6 with some being longer shots than others.

Too much football to be played still.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FSU game doesn't come into SEC play. If UGa runs the SEC table, we go to the SECCG. BUT, we have LSU and the Gators to play, as well as Mizzou (who knows), UT, Auburn, and Vandy. I see all 4 as possible trap games.

TAMU is in the West, not the East, so they can't win the East. We see this every year in the East ... UGa or USCe wins against each other in game 2, the other one has to hope for that team to lose 2 SEC games, and they have to beat UF. It's a tried a true formula UGa has used to get into the SECCG the past 2 years. Once Auburn and UT get back to strength it will be more complicated.

But, that will really be the West this year. TAMU or Bama loser has to hope the other loses two games, and they have to beat LSU.

I agree with this only because I don't think people have the stomach for it, even if the teams might arguably deserve it. No one, not even Team SEC, wants two SEC teams in the NC.

I was talking about NC contenders, it doesn't matter that FSU isn't in the SEC, if UFla loses 2+ games, they're out. UGA can't really afford to lose another game (especially in the east) because that would give them 2 losses

The east/west thing was a typo. Alabama or A&M has to lose, taking one of them out (for the most part).
I don't see any way a 2 loss SEC team is a NC contender.

Way to early too prognosticate. My original point was that you can pretty much already rule out '6 NC contenders from the SEC.' That's not to say they still don't have a couple

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about NC contenders, it doesn't matter that FSU isn't in the SEC, if UFla loses 2+ games, they're out. UGA can't really afford to lose another game (especially in the east) because that would give them 2 losses

The east/west thing was a typo. Alabama or A&M has to lose, taking one of them out (for the most part).
I don't see any way a 2 loss SEC team is a NC contender.

Way to early too prognosticate. My original point was that you can pretty much already rule out '6 NC contenders from the SEC.' That's not to say they still don't have a couple

It is actually easier than that:

1. If there are two undefeated teams at the end of the year, and 1 isn't an SEC team, no SEC team will be in the NC.

2. If there are no undefeated teams, and a 1 loss SEC team comes out of the SECCG, then that team will be in the NC.

3. If there are no undefeateds, and a 2 loss team wins the SECCG, even if the loser of the SECCG is a 1 loss team, then no SEC teams will go to the NCG.

4. Bama, LSU or TAMU have to run the table and win the SECCG to be sure to get in. UGa and USCe are in the picture if they run the rest, but only if there are no undefeated teams.

5. It is very likely that Louisville will be undefeated. OSU has a good chance as well. That leaves Oregon, Clemson or FSU (they play each other, so one will lose) that may also go undefeated. Bama has a good chance because their SEC East schedule is easy. I'm thinking UGa could be a 1 loss SEC Champ that doesn't play in the NC. That would be our luck.

LSU

T-Shirt fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I feel that the SEC isnt as top heavy this season I feel threads like this are masked trash talking against the conference that has won the last 7 titles. I think that is looked at as acceptable by fans of all the other conferences to trash talk the SEC. What apparently is not acceptable is to defend the SEC. That makes you a conference troll. Hypocrisy at its finest.

My personal take, the SEC looks less top heavy. So in a season where the SEC is weakened which conferences look great or better than we thought? Cause from what I have seen no conference looks that great this season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I feel that the SEC isnt as top heavy this season I feel threads like this are masked trash talking against the conference that has won the last 7 titles. I think that is looked at as acceptable by fans of all the other conferences to trash talk the SEC. What apparently is not acceptable is to defend the SEC. That makes you a conference troll. Hypocrisy at its finest.

My personal take, the SEC looks less top heavy. So in a season where the SEC is weakened which conferences look great or better than we thought? Cause from what I have seen no conference looks that great this season.

ACC and Big10 are looking good. Big12 is looking horrible. Pac12 seem about the same with Oregon St losing to FCS, and the state of USC, but some teams coming up to pick up the slack.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC and Big10 are looking good. Big12 is looking horrible. Pac12 seem about the same with Oregon St losing to FCS, and the state of USC, but some teams coming up to pick up the slack.

I'm just curious what you saw that showed you that the B1G is looking good. Wisconsin and Ohio State have played no one but have at least won convincingly. Michigan played Notre Dame and got a quality win. Nebraska had a close scare to Wyoming. Michigan State has scored more defensive touchdowns than offensive and have played no one worth writing about. Illinois played a game against S Illinois that was way too close. Northwestern had a couple of decent wins. The B1G may end up being good but I haven't seen anything to make me believe that this season will be any different than the last two.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just curious what you saw that showed you that the B1G is looking good. Wisconsin and Ohio State have played no one but have at least won convincingly. Michigan played Notre Dame and got a quality win. Nebraska had a close scare to Wyoming. Michigan State has scored more defensive touchdowns than offensive and have played no one worth writing about. Illinois played a game against S Illinois that was way too close. Northwestern had a couple of decent wins. The B1G may end up being good but I haven't seen anything to make me believe that this season will be any different than the last two.

It's always easy to dump on anything and point out the negative parts of things as if that is all the exists. The reality is usually much different. Especially when you start to look at everyone else in comparison.

Is the Ohio St wins world beating? No. But they won. Michigan is clearly a much better team this year. Nebraska didn't lose, neither did Michigan St. Pretty wins? No. But did you see LSU last year barely win against a horrible Auburn team? Or struggle to beat Towson? Yet they finished up the year with 10 wins.

Meanwhile Texas did so poorly they fired their DC 2 games into the season. K-State lost to a FCS team. Oklahoma struggled as much as Nebraska, and OkSt didn't exactly set the stage on fire themselves against UTSA, even though they won handily.

The Pac12 had Oregon St lose to FCS, USC is way down, and they were a somewhat top heavy conference to begin with. Yet they've had some bright spots as well with ASU, UCLA seemingly improving for a 2nd year, and Utah beating Utah St. So I rate them about even thus far overall.

The ACC has been one of the bigger improvements with mutiple wins over SEC teams. Still, NCST struggled and barely beat a FCS team, Syracuse is 0-2, NC lost to SC, VT lost to Alabama, etc. Looking up overall IMO however.

It's common in the college football fan world for people to always point out the negatives and harp on them.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always easy to dump on anything and point out the negative parts of things as if that is all the exists. The reality is usually much different. Especially when you start to look at everyone else in comparison.

Is the Ohio St wins world beating? No. But they won. Michigan is clearly a much better team this year. Nebraska didn't lose, neither did Michigan St. Pretty wins? No. But did you see LSU last year barely win against a horrible Auburn team? Or struggle to beat Towson? Yet they finished up the year with 10 wins.

Meanwhile Texas did so poorly they fired their DC 2 games into the season. K-State lost to a FCS team. Oklahoma struggled as much as Nebraska, and OkSt didn't exactly set the stage on fire themselves against UTSA, even though they won handily.

The Pac12 had Oregon St lose to FCS, USC is way down, and they were a somewhat top heavy conference to begin with. Yet they've had some bright spots as well with ASU, UCLA seemingly improving for a 2nd year, and Utah beating Utah St. So I rate them about even thus far overall.

The ACC has been one of the bigger improvements with mutiple wins over SEC teams. Still, NCST struggled and barely beat a FCS team, Syracuse is 0-2, NC lost to SC, VT lost to Alabama, etc. Looking up overall IMO however.

It's common in the college football fan world for people to always point out the negatives and harp on them.

I am always going to be tougher on my teams than on other teams. I don't think you are going to find too many people calling me a homer. If the conference does not finish the season with either a national title or a winning bowl record it will not be a good year for this conference.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid breakdown 4down, and while you are right, I am still in agreement with samurai. We've gotta redeem ourselves on the national stage. I don't think a NC will have to happen if we win 2 BCS games, but I'm sure as hell gonna hope to see a NC.

samurai, we get it. The MSU defense is awesome and scores all sorts of TDs. Jeez... :lol:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid breakdown 4down, and while you are right, I am still in agreement with samurai. We've gotta redeem ourselves on the national stage. I don't think a NC will have to happen if we win 2 BCS games, but I'm sure as hell gonna hope to see a NC.

samurai, we get it. The MSU defense is awesome and scores all sorts of TDs. Jeez... :lol:

Mix our defense with Nebraska's offense and you might have something. Otherwise we will be going back to BW3 bowl if we are lucky.