• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle Question

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on over and get reacquainted with a couple of your former running backs.
Look on Craigslist for the job situation. There are gobs of jobs in the Northwest. Things are rocking pretty good around here. Housing is pricey though.

Fred Jackson should have never been cut and Shady isn't impressing me much so far either.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When my wife and I were buying a home a year ago, we didn't even consider Seattle. We ended up in Chehalis, which is just about the mid point from Portland to Seattle. It was the 2nd cheapest housing market in the state - we payed $65,000 for a 2 bed 1 bath, 1300 sq foot home, making our mortgage (with all taxes and fees) $600 a month. Now, I'm disabled, so I had the freedom to look anywhere in the state, and my wife liked this little town. As for housing elsewhere - I only really know stuff that is south of Olympia. Good luck in your search.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Covington south of seattle by about 30 minutes. It is still King county so my property taxes are around 6000 per year. King County has the highest property taxes I think. Really, before you move, put in a bunch of applications online. Boeing is just one of many good companies around to work for. Figure out where you may be working first and then move. A warning, we got really bad traffic problems along the I-5 and I-405 corridors. I avoid going anywhere near downtown if I can. That includes downtown Seattle, or Tacoma, or Everett for that matter.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're going to find it's just like anywhere else -- the closer you are to metro areas, the higher the prices will go. But that's only one consideration. All depends what you're looking for, of course. I grew up in the area but moved off to college in 1989 and then 22 years in the Army immediately after that, just recently moved back with my family of 4. Bought a 3000 sq Ft house in Roy (the sticks) with a 4 car garage on an acre. Wouldn't be able to find or afford that in Seattle. If I didn't have a family and was going to move to the Seattle area, I wouldn't fool around and would just go for it. Get something as close as possible to all the cool stuff and live it up, especially if I didn't think it was permanent (which I'm assuming it isn't if you're looking to rent). That's just me though.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would suggest looking across the water, Bainbridge Island, Port Orchard, Bremerton areas. Much more affordable and and only an hour to Seattle via Ferry, only a 1/2 hour from Bainbridge. BI can be a little more on the expensive side though, but it's beautiful out that way.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in the Greenwood area which is actually part of the city of Seattle and it wasn't too bad. I think my wife and I paid $750 a month for a 1 bed/1 bath apartment. We lived next to about 10 restaurants, all major bus lines, and had a grocery store across the street from us so we hardly ever had to drive anywhere.

Now Greenwood depending where you live can be a pretty rough area of the city but where we were was a lot of family neighborhoods. We went for walks during the night and never really worried about something happening. I wouldn't let my wife go running at night by herself but heck I live in a small town now and not sure I would here either.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister is currently going to med school, lives in the University District in Seattle. Would rather not mention the cost of rent or my wallet may go into an early depression this month when it has a few more days to go. (I'm helping my sister pay her rent)

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in Kent but Maple Valley is pretty nice. It's around where Sherman lives but there's a lot of affordable housing up there and you're right by the mountains. Kent is hit and miss and if I had to do it over again I would have bought up there. But when it gets icy/snowy (not too often) getting anywhere can be a complete pain in the neck and the commute is pretty brutal.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems like the busiest Seattle board so I figured I would ask here. If one had the desire to move to Seattle area what would be a nice but still fairly affordable town to live in?

Just saw a report from one of the housing rental websites that the average 1bd in the city is $1600, and the average 2bd is $2250. JFC.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a report from one of the housing rental websites that the average 1bd in the city is $1600, and the average 2bd is $2250. JFC.

Wow that is kinda pricey so aim for outside the actual city limits and I might get a better deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow that is kinda pricey so aim for outside the actual city limits and I might get a better deal.
For sure aim outside the city limits. The further away, the better the value. Where to rent, depends on where you work, traffic can be a real bitch here, so try to rent close to where you and your spouse work. Hopefully that isn't down town in Seattle.
If your moving before landing a job, try not to sign a long lease.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure aim outside the city limits. The further away, the better the value. Where to rent, depends on where you work, traffic can be a real bitch here, so try to rent close to where you and your spouse work. Hopefully that isn't down town in Seattle.
If your moving before landing a job, try not to sign a long lease.

Yeah totally I think I might go check it out before I make a definite decision. Like I said I'm trying to convince my buddy so if I cant do that I might be SOL.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah totally I think I might go check it out before I make a definite decision. Like I said I'm trying to convince my buddy so if I cant do that I might be SOL.
What line of work are you in? The job market is good here, but it really depends on the line of work, when it comes to wages and such. If you would rather not share that info...that's understandable.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you move here,you know we are going to try to get you to be a Seahawk fan...right?:D

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What line of work are you in? The job market is good here, but it really depends on the line of work, when it comes to wages and such. If you would rather not share that info...that's understandable.

Well right now I do shit work cause job market sucks in STL and I don't have a degree. If I was a nurse I would be rolling in work though.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well right now I do shit work cause job market sucks in STL and I don't have a degree. If I was a nurse I would be rolling in work though.
Well shit work, pays like shit. Think that's true where ever you live. That would make Seattle a tough place for you, cause it cost some $ to live here. However you seem to have a good grasp of the English language, so you could do sales. Lots of decent sales jobs here. Have a friend that sold security equipment. Decent base pay, plus commission, a company car, benefits . Only went to the office once a week, but lots of traveling to see customers. My friend is a she and did really well, but really hated being on the road so much.