• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle at Chicago - yesterday's game

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it me or did I get the sense that ...

No, it's not just you. I felt, too, that you got that sense. Just kidding. If you don't get the joke, ignore it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized we have the tie breaker(If i'm applying it correctly) with GB and/or Chi for the #2 spot should we have the same amount of losses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume they mean this week -

According to 49ers.com:

"There’s actually two scenarios in play for the 49ers to be guaranteed of postseason football for consecutive seasons.

Here are the scenarios:

1. San Francisco win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + SEA loss or tie.
2. San Francisco win + DAL loss + MIN loss + TB loss + WAS loss + STL loss or tie.

The Vikings host the Bears. The Buccaneers host the Eagles. The Redskins host the Ravens. The Seahawks host the Cardinals. The Rams visit the Bills. The Cowboys visit the Bengals."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We certainly couldn't because no one else is close to the top seed, but technically it can happen, I think. For example, if the Bears and Packers had the two best records in the NFC, they'd be one and two seeds and only one can win the division. I don't think this will ever happen, or at least, unlikely since they have to play eachother twice. The NBA rewards division winners in a way that someone with a better record may have a lower seed if they didn't win their division.

No it cannot!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the tie shouldn't put us out though right?

we're 8-3-1
GB/Chi 8-4

Wouldn't they need to end up with more wins to move passed us? if the wins are the same, we would win right?

8-3-1 is better than 8-4.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it cannot!

Why not? What would happen if the records were the following next season? (Just a hypothetical that won't happen):

1. Seattle Seahawks 14-2
2. San Francisco 49ers 13-3
3. Green Bay Packers 12-4
4. New Orleans Saints 11-5
5. New York Giants 10-6
6. Chicago 9-7

We'd have the second seed, but Seattle would win the division. Or is there a bogus rule that would bump us into a non-bye despite having a better record than GB, NO, NY, and Chicago?

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona Cardinals (4-8)
Can't see the Cardinals winning another game this season, and you have to think that would be an NFL first: 4-0 start, 0-12 finish. Between the Eagles and Cardinals (again with the Curse of Kevin Kolb?), the two clubs could realistically go from a combined 7-1 after Week 4, to 0-24 thereafter.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not? What would happen if the records were the following next season? (Just a hypothetical that won't happen):

1. Seattle Seahawks 14-2
5. New York Giants 10-6
6. Chicago 9-7

We'd have the second seed, but Seattle would win the division. Or is there a bogus rule that would bump us into a non-bye despite having a better record than GB, NO, NY, and Chicago?

In this scenario, the 49er will be a Wild Card and will not be seeded at all. Division title precedes regular season win-loss record

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agree we should be concerned with the West first, one game at a time.

thinking about the #2 seed is getting ahead of ourselves. thinking ASSUMES we'll win out, like how we assumed a win over the Rams. :-(

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Seattle Seahawks 14-2
5. New York Giants 10-6
6. Chicago 9-7

the byes would go to Seattle & GB... with SF being perhaps the highest wins for a WC team ever lol

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

1. Seattle Seahawks 14-2
5. New York Giants 10-6
6. Chicago 9-7

MHS, first of all, you got me :sick: in seeing that you got Seahawks ahead of us in your scenario. Blasphemy :-P

Anyway, that was my reasoning which hinted on:
"One potential disadvantage is that the two teams with the best records in a conference could play each other before the conference championship if they are in the same division. The better team would be seeded #1, while the lesser team would be seeded #5 as the top wild card team, and as shown in the diagram, it is possible for the #1 division winner to play the top wild card team in the divisional round. (See also the "Modification proposals" section below.)"

Me, my brother, cousin, and best friend used to go at it in Madden franchise mode. 2 persons would have to select a team (same division) in the AFC and the 2 persons would do the same but in the NFC side. I remember me having a 15-1 record, and my main rival in my division had a 14-2 record. Well because I won the division, I got the # 1 seed, whereas he had to play in the wildcard game (and he was pissed off because of it. His #1 receiver got hurt in that game when my team had a bye). Again, that was my little experience with that. Not sure how that relates in reality - but I assume that it is the same in the NFL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MHS, first of all, you got me :sick: in seeing that you got Seahawks ahead of us in your scenario. Blasphemy :-P

Anyway, that was my reasoning which hinted on:
"One potential disadvantage is that the two teams with the best records in a conference could play each other before the conference championship if they are in the same division. The better team would be seeded #1, while the lesser team would be seeded #5 as the top wild card team, and as shown in the diagram, it is possible for the #1 division winner to play the top wild card team in the divisional round. (See also the "Modification proposals" section below.)"

Me, my brother, cousin, and best friend used to go at it in Madden franchise mode. 2 persons would have to select a team (same division) in the AFC and the 2 persons would do the same but in the NFC side. I remember me having a 15-1 record, and my main rival in my division had a 14-2 record. Well because I won the division, I got the # 1 seed, whereas he had to play in the wildcard game (and he was pissed off because of it. His #1 receiver got hurt in that game when my team had a bye). Again, that was my little experience with that. Not sure how that relates in reality - but I assume that it is the same in the NFL.

My fault. I thought your original post regarding 2nd seed not winning the division was a question, not a statement. So I suggested my hypothetical. I didn't know the rule and assumed that you didn't know of such a rule if you were asking. Thanks for the info.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this scenario, the 49er will be a Wild Card and will not be seeded at all. Division title precedes regular season win-loss record

the byes would go to Seattle & GB... with SF being perhaps the highest wins for a WC team ever lol

Thanks, do you guys agree with this?