• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks lose 21-16 to Denver in preseason opener

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks lose 21-16 to Denver in preseason opener

The good news for Seahawks fans — it doesn’t count. Seattle’s nine-game preseason winning streak ends in an exhibition rematch between the Super Bowl teams.

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

DENVER – As might have been expected of two teams last seen playing in the Super Bowl, there were more than a few sparks Thursday night.

As it turned out, there was also some actual thunder and lightning, forcing a 45-minute delay in the first quarter as Denver and Seattle met at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, a rematch at least in name of the Seahawks’ 43-8 win in the Super Bowl.

Ultimately, though, it played out as first preseason games usually do, with lots of sloppy and uneven play.

And it ended in an unfamiliar feeling for Seattle as the Broncos held on to win 21-16, snapping the Seahawks’ nine-game exhibition winning streak.

“We hate to lose, so that’s disappointing,’’ said Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. “At the same time, we understand we are trying to get better.’’

One area of improvement was both obvious and somewhat understandable — a makeshift offensive line that had Wilson and fellow quarterbacks Tarvaris Jackson and Terrelle Pryor spending much of the game running for their lives.

Seattle played without three injured starters – center Max Unger, guard James Carpenter and left tackle Russell Okung – leaving J.R. Sweezy as the only starter from a year ago lining up against the Broncos.

“We are just surviving right now, really surviving,’’ said coach Pete Carroll. “There are some guys on the second team that have been here three or four days. We are not very sharp right now, and it all showed.’’

Carroll also bemoaned the sloppiness of a game that featured 25 combined penalties, 13 on the Seahawks.

Still, Seattle had a chance to win, facing a third-and-goal from the 3-yard-line with 2:49 left and the Broncos ahead 21-16. But Pryor, again scrambling, tried to squeeze a pass into Ricardo Lockette that was tipped and picked off by Steven Johnson.

On the play before, Pryor had just missed connecting with running back Demitrius Bronson, who couldn’t handle a screen pass on which he almost certainly would have scored.

“I’m just upset with the decision I made on the last play,’’ Pryor said. “I was just trying to force it and make a touchdown and made a poor throw, and I’ve got to be better.’’

The result allowed Denver at least some measure of atonement for the Super Bowl loss. “It felt great to convert,’’ said Denver receiver Demaryius Thomas. “We really weren’t able to do that the last time we played.’’

Emotions appeared to run high during the first quarter when the starters were on the field.

“They did a great job of coming out and challenging us,’’ said Seattle safety Earl Thomas.

Rest at link.Seahawks lose 21-16 to Denver in preseason opener | Seahawks | The Seattle Times