• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Back-up QB thoughts?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most would agree that Jackson pretty much has the #2 spot locked up but with Russell's very small contract number do they keep 3 this season? Quinn has not looked bad in his playing time. He has a strong arm and is a strong QB. I can name a few NFC West teams that would give up their back-ups for Quinn right now and this is something we DON'T want. Why allow a rival to become deeper?

I say if they do not keep 3, which they most likely wont, then trade him to another team for a 6th or 7th round pick. Don't just cut bait and allow a Division rival the opportunity to sign him. He could be worth something, not much but something and it wouldn't hurt the Hawks to carry him.

Sure we need that extra spot elsewhere on the team with all the young talent we have ( CB/RB/DT/WR ) but i believe there is a risk he would bolster a NFC West teams depth and they ARE watching. Trade him for peanuts to someone if they are going to release him. The Jets could use a QB like Quinn :)

Thoughts?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are over-thinking the idea of letting go of Quinn. Even IF a NFCW team picked him up, he would still have to learn a new offense. And let's be honest, if you are letting him go, then that means that he has fallen behind both Wilson and TJack and is simply taking up a roster spot you could have for a developing player that may fit your long term team vision better.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-reading your post, if you can get a 6th or 7th round pick for him, sure, but do his cap numbers warrant another team picking him up at that price? I don't know his cap hit and if he's making more then a mil, that may be a bit rich for a 3rd string QB that has shown minimal success in the NFL.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only NFCW team you would need to worry about picking him up is Arizona.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
had the same convo yesterday with a friend.... the 3 qbs convo that is.

We agreed most nfl teams only keep 2 because that extra roster spot used on a CB/WR/OL whatever is more valuable then that third qb.

Cause honestly if RW goes down our season is hosed.... ie we know tjack can be a .500 qb but no tmuch more. If RW AND tjack goes down.

the years done, doesn't matter if we use brady quinn, or we sign josh portis off the streets or whoever.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they ultimately keep two and see what they can get for Quinn. There's bound to be some team out there that will be unhappy with their depth at QB in a couple weeks and willing to deal for Quinn, even if they don't give up much to get him.

jjames69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should keep quinn and look to deal jackson, since jackson is better trade bait at the moment. i think they will keep all three, givrn wilson isn't getting paid that much.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Seahawks are in the same boat as the 49ers: SCREWED if the starter goes down.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson isn't great and it's certainly taking a few steps down from Wilson to Jackson in terms of quality, but the Hawks wouldn't be totally screwed with Jackson in there. He took a far less stacked team than the one we currently enjoy and got a 7-7 record out of it despite a torn pectoral muscle. I'd still rather have Wilson in there, but having Jackson in there isn't the horrible proposition some are making it out to be. He knows the offense better than Quinn and can run more of the playbook because of that experience, knows a bunch of the personnel on offense better than Quinn and has the respect of his teammates because of what he did two years ago. Yeah, he's making more money this year than even Wilson is and with the way he's played this preseason, there's sure to be interested parties, but if Wilson were to go down, I have a lot more faith in Jackson than I do Quinn.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should keep quinn and look to deal jackson, since jackson is better trade bait at the moment. i think they will keep all three, givrn wilson isn't getting paid that much.

Clearly you don't know anything about this QB situation or are a Quinn fan. Jackson is liked by the players and proved he can be a .500 QB which is about the best anyone can hope for from their back-up QB.

The Seahawks are in the same boat as the 49ers: SCREWED if the starter goes down.

Every team is screwed if the starter goes down, but I don't think the Hawks would be as bad off as the 49ers, your back-ups all look terrible.

... but if Wilson were to go down, I have a lot more faith in Jackson than I do Quinn.

:agree: I never liked T-Jack as a starter, but I love the thought of him being the back-up.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson as a back-up is a no-brainer. He's a guy that can keep the team at .500 if Wilson misses a few games and keep the Seahawks in the hunt if something bad does happen. That's pretty much what you want from a back-up QB. He wouldn't be worth much anyway as far as trade value goes. He's proven to be an average QB (at best) with starting jobs for 2 different teams. Even the dumbest GM wouldn't think that 3's a charm and bring him in to start.

caseycomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cut Quinn and use the roster spot for another player like WR Williams

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NS, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I actually like what I see from TJack. More than I did for Barkley, Leinart, VYoung, etc. Yes, if RWilson goes down for the season, tough sledding. Knock on wood and extra prayers. If he goes out for 3-4 games, I think the Hawks can win 2 or 3 of those. If Kaep goes down for 3-4 games, your season is done.

TJack is missing an Ace of Spades and a Queen of Diamonds from a full deck, but TJack fits this system, is athletic and is showing touch on his deep balls that are top 10 nine route throws. He's just a split second slow in progressing through a cpl of reads but give him an extra second in the pocket.

Remember in 2011, an injured TJack went 7-7 and was close to pulling out those 2 games vs ya'll. Who were TJack's receivers? An undrafted Baldwin, an underperforming GTate, MWilliams, RLockette, and other garbage. Zach Miller was useless because he had to stay in to block.

TJack had to run for his life in 2011. Okung played 3/4's of the season. Carpenter had no business playing RT for over half the year as he was a turnstile. Moffitt, the guy we just dumped for a practice squad player started half the games at RG. Throw in Gallery at LG for half the year. Then mix it with McQuistan and BG at RT.

Are you getting the picture? This was an OL in shambles with different guys going in and out with zero continuity. I'm not comparing them to your force up front but I don't believe your OL missed 1 game in 2012. Not 1 starter missed a game. Unreal.

With the garbage OL, with the who dat WR's, TJack still threw for 3,000 yds at a 60% comp rate. a 1:1 td:int ratio isn't what you want but at 14:13, it's decent considering the circumstances.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but TJack is a perfect backup and I wouldn't have any trepidations if RWill went down for a month, that TJack could go in and win ball games with Lynch and play action.

When was the last time you saw a backup drop bunnies in the basket like TJack has the past 2 games? Pre-season or not, give him a pocket and he can make some NFL throws and still has some athleticism to take off.

The Hawks have depth and QB is part of the equation. :nod:

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the ONE area that I think the Cardinals have the leg up on both the Hawks and the 49'ers...

I'm very happy to have Drew Stanton as a backup QB... He clearly looks capable.

It was no secret that I didn't like John Skelton AT ALL. Stanton represents a major upgrade at that spot for us...

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you don't know anything about this QB situation or are a Quinn fan. Jackson is liked by the players and proved he can be a .500 QB which is about the best anyone can hope for from their back-up QB.

lol. and i suppose you have inside knowledge of what the players are saying in the locker room? you are truly a fool.

quinn has looked good despite not having the experience with the hawks playbook and personnel that jackson has.

the hawks win on defense, and special teams anyway. quinn vs jackson is a wash.

Pretty common knowledge that the locker room likes tjack cause he played his one year in seattle despite a torn pec on his throwing side.....tough as nails.... nfl players respect tough players....

Plus tjacks flat out performed better then Quinn,

no disrespect to Quinn but he will be cut.

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. and i suppose you have inside knowledge of what the players are saying in the locker room? you are truly a fool.

quinn has looked good despite not having the experience with the hawks playbook and personnel that jackson has.

the hawks win on defense, and special teams anyway. quinn vs jackson is a wash.

Many players have been interviewed on the radio that have all said they love TJack as a leader. It is common knowledge in Seattle.

However, you want the Hawks to trade Jackson for nearly nothing and keep Quinn, but I am the fool??:laugh3:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought most teams keep 3 QB's on the roster but only dress 2 on game time. Maybe I'm wrong about this. Anyways, Quinn isn't that good.

jjames69

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many players have been interviewed on the radio that have all said they love TJack as a leader. It is common knowledge in Seattle.

However, you want the Hawks to trade Jackson for nearly nothing and keep Quinn, but I am the fool??:laugh3:

tjacks passing rating with vikes was 65. 9td's 12 picks, in his most productive year.

tjack has had one good game in preaseaon, in garbage time against 3rd and 4rth teamers.

put him in the hall, lol

Last edited by a moderator: