• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2022 draft- news, prospects

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought we were going to take Max Borgi with one of those 7 th rounders

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with this draft. If anything we just added a ton of talented young depth. I can easily see 5 of these guys being big contributors as either starters or Back-ups. Thats a good thing as our depth was shit.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 3 takeaways from this draft:

1. PC/JS believe in Drew Lock....or they're at least committed to giving him a 1 season sink or swim job interview. They had multiple chances in rounds 2 & 3 to take their preference of Ridder & Willis and thought better of it. Rich Eisen had Pete on for an interview during today's coverage on NFLN, tried to bait him into a discussion about adding "a veteran QB" (presumably Baker Mayfield), and Pete didn't bite. He made reference to the collection of skill position players the team has to help whoever wins the competition between Geno Smith & Drew Lock. I would love to hear Danny O'Neill's take on Pete's comments, but I interpreted them as they will see what Lock can do as the starter. Of course, this could all get turned on its head if Cleveland releases Mayfield on Monday morning.
  2. We are getting back to big/long/physical CBs on the outside. You can't just pick guys like Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell off the CB tree, but it looks like they have a couple they'll take a shot with. It's unlikely they would both start as rookies, but there isn't a whole lot of proven veteran depth at that position.
  3. Duane Brown won't be back. They drafted the best pass blocker in the class, who maybe could have been a short term plan at RT but I think that went away when they went back to T in rnd 3. And I pray to god that the Coug we picked is good, because if not then we'll always be kicking ourselves for not taking whoever ends up working out between Ridder & Willis (unless they both flop, of course).
Sort of an interesting crop of players. Not much help for the middle of the defense, so I guess they are comfortable there or just didn't have the board line up the way they needed to make picks at DT/ILB. Does Jordyn Brooks start at MLB now? Cody Barton? The feel of this team is going to be so different.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 3 takeaways from this draft:

1. PC/JS believe in Drew Lock....or they're at least committed to giving him a 1 season sink or swim job interview. They had multiple chances in rounds 2 & 3 to take their preference of Ridder & Willis and thought better of it. Rich Eisen had Pete on for an interview during today's coverage on NFLN, tried to bait him into a discussion about adding "a veteran QB" (presumably Baker Mayfield), and Pete didn't bite. He made reference to the collection of skill position players the team has to help whoever wins the competition between Geno Smith & Drew Lock. I would love to hear Danny O'Neill's take on Pete's comments, but I interpreted them as they will see what Lock can do as the starter. Of course, this could all get turned on its head if Cleveland releases Mayfield on Monday morning.
  2. We are getting back to big/long/physical CBs on the outside. You can't just pick guys like Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell off the CB tree, but it looks like they have a couple they'll take a shot with. It's unlikely they would both start as rookies, but there isn't a whole lot of proven veteran depth at that position.
  3. Duane Brown won't be back. They drafted the best pass blocker in the class, who maybe could have been a short term plan at RT but I think that went away when they went back to T in rnd 3. And I pray to god that the Coug we picked is good, because if not then we'll always be kicking ourselves for not taking whoever ends up working out between Ridder & Willis (unless they both flop, of course).
Sort of an interesting crop of players. Not much help for the middle of the defense, so I guess they are comfortable there or just didn't have the board line up the way they needed to make picks at DT/ILB. Does Jordyn Brooks start at MLB now? Cody Barton? The feel of this team is going to be so different.

Honestly.

Brooks at MLB, Played it at tech
Adams at OLB
Wollen at FS
Diggs at SS
Rotation of Taylor, Maye, Robinson and Smith at OLB

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say PC/JS believe in Lock. I would say they didn't see upside to going after QB's they didn't have high views of making it in their system. This wasn't going to be a one draft fix for all of the teams ills and they knew it. Upgrade with guys they like at positions they covet and keep working the trade market for any/all upgrades. Put pieces around Lock and see how many hits they had on their new players and what else is still needed next year. Then go get a guy with everything you have if needed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We needed some corners and we got um! Thank God Pete and John attacked that .. I like how both guys are big also, Woolen 6.4 and Cobe 6.1 … both have a long wing spans also, that’s always helpful .. I’ve never been a fan of short corners especially on the outside, it’s always good to have some height to challenge these big receivers… There are some freak exceptions, like Terry Taylor who can jump outta the gym( literally). Used to play basketball with him, dude could literally touch his head to the rim, no exaggeration, but those freak athletes like that are rare.. I’ll always take a bigger corners with cover skills !

Woolen was a ridiculous steal. If he can stay healthy, with Pete coaching him up don't be surprised if that's Sherman 2.0.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now that its all over, wake me up in august

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i

Seattle Seahawks: B+​

Top needs: QB, OT, DE

Seattle had three picks in the entire 2021 draft. This year? It entered Round 1 with three in the top 41, thanks to the trade of Russell Wilson. I always struggle with what the Seahawks are thinking; they stick to their board and don't worry about a leaguewide consensus. That's why it was good to see coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider also saw their hole at left tackle and went that way at No. 9.

Charles Cross is the best pass-protecting tackle in this class, an easy mover with great fit and long arms. (And this is a rare Seattle mock draft pick that I nailed, even if it was from March.) He'll replace Duane Brown immediately. Say what you want about moving on from Wilson, but at least the Seahawks got a lot of capital in the deal, and they now have a left tackle who can be there for 10-plus years.

On Day 2, I thought there was a prime opportunity for the Seahawks to take quarterback Malik Willis and develop him into a future star. They ended up passing three times on Willis, which I suppose means they're OK with Drew Lock and Geno Smith being just average in 2022. Carroll and Schneider must think the roster is farther along than I do.

As for whom they got on Day 2, I like the players, even if it's not what I would do. Kenneth Walker II (41) is a bowling ball of a running back, and he is going to play in an offense that values those kinds of players. Boye Mafe (40) has some raw pass-rush traits off the edge. Abraham Lucas (72) might be a rookie starter at right tackle, which is rare for a third-round pick.

On Day 3, the Seahawks doubled up with cornerbacks Coby Bryant (109) and Tariq Woolen (153), who in particular fits what Carroll likes in his defensive backs. Woolen is 6-foot-4 with a huge wingspan, and he ran a 4.26-second 40-yard dash at the combine. The former college receiver is just very raw. Wide receiver Bo Melton (229) has some speed that makes him a potential seventh-round find.

There are several good prospects in this class, but it's not quite an A because the quarterback issue could linger into 2023.

Seattle's Complete 2022 Draft Class​

ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/9Charles CrossOTMississippi State
2/40Boye MafeOLBMinnesota
2/41Ken Walker IIIRBMichigan State
3/72Abraham LucasOTWashington State
4/109Coby BryantCBCincinnati
5/153Tariq WoolenCBUTSA
5/158Tyreke SmithDEOhio State
7/229Bo MeltonWRRutgers
7/233Dareke YoungWRLenoir-Rhyne University

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Mel Kiper's grade

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Carson Strong but his medical report on his knees must be really scary and to much of a risk.
Is it really a risk though for a practice squad player? Could’ve gotten him and essentially take a redshirt year with some of the treatments in the country.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of people rating the Hawks lower because they did not address the QB position. Well thats because None not a single one of these QB's would have been better than whats on the team all ready so you are just removing one of your picks for a move that doesn't make you better.

In my eyes the fact the Hawks didn't reach on a QB this class showed me they were smart. Not to many teams wanted to touch this QB class and for good reason. I think Lock is talented enough to do what Ryan Tannehill did, Limit his mistakes and don't hurt the team. If he does this we will be ok at qb for now.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad Seattle passed on a QB, we had way too many holes to fill…Our roster beefed up a bit with this draft so even if we miss the playoffs next season, which I expect, we come back with solid draft positions next year, beef up the roster more.. Try to find a young QB then, OR maybe Drew pulls a Hasselbeck and starts getting it, and growing …

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Mel Kiper's grade

He's such a clown. Crying about Seattle never going with "the consensus" and not settling for a project QB just because Drew Lock isn't top 15. Zero even semi-long term vision.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad Seattle passed on a QB, we had way too many holes to fill…Our roster beefed up a bit with this draft so even if we miss the playoffs next season, which I expect, we come back with solid draft positions next year, beef up the roster more.. Try to find a young QB then, OR maybe Drew pulls a Hasselbeck and starts getting it, and growing …

Drew Lock is an athletic capable player with a very strong arm. The knock on him is he made to many mistakes and turned the ball over way to much. This can be limited with the play call and play design. Think about how the Hawks treated Russell Wilson his first year. He only threw the ball more than 25 times a game 5 times, He threw the ball 23 times or less 8 times. I fully expect the Hawks to be a 60-40 team 60% running and 40% passing. Would have been a waist to draft a QB and like you said way to many other holes to fill.

Last edited: