• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2022 draft- news, prospects

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's such a clown. Crying about Seattle never going with "the consensus" and not settling for a project QB just because Drew Lock isn't top 15. Zero even semi-long term vision.
Still, he overall had the hawks in a tie for 3rd place in his grading as it was. Others are also giving fairly high grades.

No, doesn't really matter because we've seen them diss a class that ended up great and praise lots of classes that bombed over time.

To me the best you can say about consensus opinions is at least they didn't obviously reach for unpopular players. If this one ends up being sub par over time, it wasn't from lack of homework and going for the guys that looked most likely to pop.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, he overall had the hawks in a tie for 3rd place in his grading as it was. Others are also giving fairly high grades.

No, doesn't really matter because we've seen them diss a class that ended up great and praise lots of classes that bombed over time.

To me the best you can say about consensus opinions is at least they didn't obviously reach for unpopular players. If this one ends up being sub par over time, it wasn't from lack of homework and going for the guys that looked most likely to pop.

I just think he's a blowhard overall, but using the QB thing as any kind of demerit is a joke. If anything, the team should get a better grade for having the foresight to avoid taking any of those guys at all.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for me this drafts fav player is Tariq Woolen, i am excited to watch him play with that 4.26 speed at 6 foot 4. Even if he gets beat with that speed he can break up passes. Former WR so turning and locating should be more natural ala Richard Sherman. I saw a break down on him and the chances of being either a Probowl player, Starter, Back-up etc etc and he had 38.6% in Probowl and 38.0% in Starter. This was one of the best balanced projection in the draft. But yes it's only a projection. lol still

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think he's a blowhard overall, but using the QB thing as any kind of demerit is a joke. If anything, the team should get a better grade for having the foresight to avoid taking any of those guys at all.
Vegas has the hawks projected win totals at 6.4 for a reason.

He's right that QB is a huge concern, however we all agree there wasn't going to be a remedy for that in this draft class.

Even if all of these pieces work out, does it substantially change the perception that this coming season is going to be one of the worst in over a decade? Does it move them up a game maybe?

Changing QB could swing that by 3+ alone.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vegas has the hawks projected win totals at 6.4 for a reason.

He's right that QB is a huge concern, however we all agree there wasn't going to be a remedy for that in this draft class.

Even if all of these pieces work out, does it substantially change the perception that this coming season is going to be one of the worst in over a decade? Does it move them up a game maybe?

Changing QB could swing that by 3+ alone.

He is right that QB is a need for this team. He's wrong though in claiming taking any of the ones available would be a better solution than going with what we have already. Especially when you look passed just this year, wasting a 3rd rd pick or higher on one of those guys means you most likely don't use a 1st next year to get another rookie QB. Does adding Malik Willis instead of Walker improve that 6 win projection at all? No.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is right that QB is a need for this team. He's wrong though in claiming taking any of the ones available would be a better solution than going with what we have already. Especially when you look passed just this year, wasting a 3rd rd pick or higher on one of those guys means you most likely don't use a 1st next year to get another rookie QB. Does adding Malik Willis instead of Walker improve that 6 win projection at all? No.

This 100%

We all know we need a QB, that's like saying a thirsty man needs a drink! No really? lol None of these QB's were even half the pro prospect Lock was coming out of college so why even waste a pick on one. It really is that simple.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that in the second line. :-D

Who really cares if he wants to slightly downgrade the score though? It's still ranked at least top 5 on his card.

It exceeded my expectation and probably most everyone else's. That's more than good enough for now.

If they end up with their projected 6-7 wins it won't mean much.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that in the second line. :-D

Who really cares if he wants to slightly downgrade the score though? It's still ranked at least top 5 on his card.

It exceeded my expectation and probably most everyone else's. That's more than good enough for now.

If they end up with their projected 6-7 wins it won't mean much.

It's Mel Kiper's draft grade; It means exactly nothing. Simply commenting on his stated reason for downgrading the draft in any capacity.

And for the record, I'm rooting for a 6 or 7 win season. Especially if one of those wins is against Denver.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was watching tape on Walker and came across a highlight tape. Highlight tapes are called that for a reason so you always have to go into it and understand this is the best of the best from them. The one thing I really noticed was the quick suddenness and explosiveness of his short area moves. It reminded me of how Lynch was just shifty enough that you slide off him and grabbed air in a 2 to 3 yard area ( slippery ). His feet are better than i thought but when you watch him run you can see he wont be a banger in the pro's. yes he will pop people but he wont be trucking to many at all. He is more of a shifty back than a powerful one. Not saying he has no power i just don't think what power he has will translate well. Anyway it was this highlight video i came across.

Some of those cuts he makes at speed and goes completely sideways ... wow that reminds me of Curt Warner! I didn't like the pick because i just felt like having Carson and Penny we could have jumped on a RB later and there was better value to be had at bigger need positions. Someone brought up this is most likely a sign Carson wont be healthy or it's still up in the air and it made sense instantly to me. If there is still doubt with Carson then you need another stud. Carson's injury must be worse than we thought and Carson is fighting to get cleared some way or another. I mean he did have surgery and they fused neck bones did they not? Thats not unlike what happened to Lockette!

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with saying we have a top 5 easy schedule is you never know if those "easy" games are suddenly going to be not so easy when kickoff arrives.

the broncos wont be, likely we dont beat the niners twice again, the jets SHOULD be improved.

I still think our defense is going to struggle a lot and our offence will have big problems playing from behind. I say less than 6 wins

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my eyes the fact the Hawks didn't reach on a QB this class showed me they were smart. Not to many teams wanted to touch this QB class and for good reason. I think Lock is talented enough to do what Ryan Tannehill did, Limit his mistakes and don't hurt the team. If he does this we will be ok at qb for now.
I agree 100%. The fact they did not draft a quarterback should’ve given them even a better grade. they didn’t show desperation… they were smart and methodical in their approach to the draft this year.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's such a clown. Crying about Seattle never going with "the consensus" and not settling for a project QB just because Drew Lock isn't top 15. Zero even semi-long term vision.

This is why he’s such a clown. He loved the Drew lock pick

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for me this drafts fav player is Tariq Woolen, i am excited to watch him play with that 4.26 speed at 6 foot 4. Even if he gets beat with that speed he can break up passes. Former WR so turning and locating should be more natural ala Richard Sherman. I saw a break down on him and the chances of being either a Probowl player, Starter, Back-up etc etc and he had 38.6% in Probowl and 38.0% in Starter. This was one of the best balanced projection in the draft. But yes it's only a projection. lol still
Same here. But I also love K Walker… He’s going to be an absolute stud.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was watching tape on Walker and came across a highlight tape. Highlight tapes are called that for a reason so you always have to go into it and understand this is the best of the best from them. The one thing I really noticed was the quick suddenness and explosiveness of his short area moves. It reminded me of how Lynch was just shifty enough that you slide off him and grabbed air in a 2 to 3 yard area ( slippery ). His feet are better than i thought but when you watch him run you can see he wont be a banger in the pro's. yes he will pop people but he wont be trucking to many at all. He is more of a shifty back than a powerful one. Not saying he has no power i just don't think what power he has will translate well. Anyway it was this highlight video i came across.

Some of those cuts he makes at speed and goes completely sideways ... wow that reminds me of Curt Warner! I didn't like the pick because i just felt like having Carson and Penny we could have jumped on a RB later and there was better value to be had at bigger need positions. Someone brought up this is most likely a sign Carson wont be healthy or it's still up in the air and it made sense instantly to me. If there is still doubt with Carson then you need another stud. Carson's injury must be worse than we thought and Carson is fighting to get cleared some way or another. I mean he did have surgery and they fused neck bones did they not? Thats not unlike what happened to Lockette!
It wasn’t just the fact that Carson may not play this year or ever again but Rashaad penny is only on a one-year contract. If Walker turns out to be a stud then we will have a very good running back next year if Penny moves on.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, that was actually pretty impressive. I'm feeling a better about this pick. Walker looks outstanding when he gets in space. His ability to cut and juke when it's one on one was pretty fun to watch in that video. Like you say, he doesn't seem to have that "bowl you over" type of game but he moves really well in space and looks like he sees the field really well, he kind of reminded me of Shaun Alexander in that regard. And his speed reminded me of SA as well. Not super fast, but just fast enough.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But where do you put him?

I think we have enough depth that we can move him to FS and hide his footwork issues

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought some here would enjoy PFF draft breakdown.

Draft Grade: B​

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

R1 (9) — OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State
R2 (40) — EDGE Boye Mafe, Minnesota
R2 (41) — RB Kenneth Walker III, Michigan State
R3 (72) — T Abraham Lucas, Washington State
R4 (109) — CB Coby Bryant, Cincinnati
R5 (153) — CB Tariq Woolen, UTSA
R5 (158) — EDGE Tyreke Smith, Ohio State
R7 (229) — WR Bo Melton, Rutgers
R7 (233) — TE Dareke Young, Lenoir-Rhyne

Day 1:
Seattle snags PFF’s OT1 and the last of the top tier of offensive tackles available without trading up. Charles Cross has been billed as the top pass-protector in the class, and his 84.7 PFF pass-blocking grade in a pass-happy Mississippi State offense last year backs that up. He’s no slouch in the run game, either. Cross earned positive grades in the run game at a top-four rate and played in several different offensive schemes during his career at Mississippi State. He fills a clear area of need for the Seahawks with Duane Brown and Brandon Shell both hitting free agency.

Day 2: From a measurables standpoint, Boye Mafe is near the top of a loaded edge defender class. The 6-foot-4, 261-pound edge rusher out of Minnesota ran a 4.53-second 40-yard dash (96th percentile) and a 42-inch vertical jump (99th percentile). He’s an explosive athlete who can have success getting after the quarterback from wide alignments. That shows up in PFF pass-rushing grades above 80.0 in three of his four college seasons.

Kenneth Walker is one of the best pure runners to come out of college football in the past five years. Last season, Walker was one of two FBS running backs since 2017 to average over 4.0 rushing yards after contact per attempt and 0.3 missed tackles forced per carry on 250-plus carries; the other was his new teammate Rashaad Penny in 2017. The biggest hole to pick in his game is a lack of production as a receiver, but a lot of that can be pinned on how Michigan State’s offense operated. This is still an interesting fit on a roster that just re-signed Penny to play alongside Chris Carson.

There is still some work to do with Abraham Lucas, given the offense he played in at Washington State, but he is one of the most athletic tackles in the draft and has some real pass-blocking traits to fall in love with. He posted a 91.0 PFF pass-blocking grade in 2021, and even after adjusting for true pass sets, it falls only to 86.0. This is a classic pick with upside.

Day 3: There aren’t many 6-foot-4, 205-pound cornerbacks in the first place, and there are precisely zero others with a 4.26-second 40-yard dash time. Tariq Woolen has been playing cornerback for only two years and already made massive strides. He’s a high-upside cornerback prospect who earned a 65.3 coverage grade last season.

Draft Grade: A-​