• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scouting Report on Kaep

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure many of you read this as it was part of ESPN's season preview on the 49ers. I find in compelling as it is from an active player (I will assume defensive) and appears to be very true. Kaep's "reading the progressions" issues aside, it does often appear defenses take away his preferred throwing routes quite well. Wasn't Kaep slightly better than 50% completion last year?

QB CONFIDENTIAL

As told to NFL Nation, an active player gives his assessment of QB Colin Kaepernick:

"I don't think he's a factor if we're on our stuff. They run a bunch of phantom routes to get him free to run. You know you're digging to your last shell if you have to do all that. You can't do anything else but play backyard football. Really it's up to the D-Line and linebackers to contain him and make him be a passer, because really he's not a great quarterback when he is throwing the ball inside the pocket. When you're playing Kaepernick, you can read his shoulders and his eyes. He's average to me overall. He's a great athlete, so you just have to keep him from getting outside where he can make things happen. It's his legs. When he's able to get outside the pocket and create, it's hard to stop him."

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Was the reporter Richard Sherman? Wouldn't surprise me with an average QB throwing off target passes to a bunch of mediocre WRs at best.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am sure many of you read this as it was part of ESPN's season preview on the 49ers. I find in compelling as it is from an active player (I will assume defensive) and appears to be very true. Kaep's "reading the progressions" issues aside, it does often appear defenses take away his preferred throwing routes quite well. Wasn't Kaep slightly better than 50% completion last year?

QB CONFIDENTIAL

As told to NFL Nation, an active player gives his assessment of QB Colin Kaepernick:

"I don't think he's a factor if we're on our stuff. They run a bunch of phantom routes to get him free to run. You know you're digging to your last shell if you have to do all that. You can't do anything else but play backyard football. Really it's up to the D-Line and linebackers to contain him and make him be a passer, because really he's not a great quarterback when he is throwing the ball inside the pocket. When you're playing Kaepernick, you can read his shoulders and his eyes. He's average to me overall. He's a great athlete, so you just have to keep him from getting outside where he can make things happen. It's his legs. When he's able to get outside the pocket and create, it's hard to stop him."

this is worded strongly and likely coming from an opponent, not surprising. the base message isn't anything we didn't know, yes, Kaep has to show he can pocket pass. I'm sure he knows it more than anybody else.

no doubt his teammates can help him succeed, but think in the big picture, people will know if its him or other factors? not asking him to become an elite NFL passer, but surely an improvement.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is worded strongly and likely coming from an opponent, not surprising. the base message isn't anything we didn't know, yes, Kaep has to show he can pocket pass. I'm sure he knows it more than anybody else.

no doubt his teammates can help him succeed, but think in the big picture, people will know if its him or other factors? not asking him to become an elite NFL passer, but surely an improvement.

I have never heard a scouting report from another NFL player. The quote did not come off as uninformed and I simply took it with a grain of salt, yet insight nonetheless.

And I do not really buy the "other factors are limiting Kaep." Whether it's the coaching style/philosophy, personnel or both - An $18 million QB needs to make his teammates around him better. Plus, the 9ers are loaded with talent and it's not going to get any better (salary cap does not allow for it). So, it's on Kaep now. Hope he's as good as I think he can be.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never heard a scouting report from another NFL player. The quote did not come off as uninformed and I simply took it with a grain of salt, yet insight nonetheless.

And I do not really buy the "other factors are limiting Kaep." Whether it's the coaching style/philosophy, personnel or both - An $18 million QB needs to make his teammates around him better. Plus, the 9ers are loaded with talent and it's not going to get any better (salary cap does not allow for it). So, it's on Kaep now. Hope he's as good as I think he can be.

We all know he is not an elite QB. This scouting report must be based on what was observed last year. He has only briefly played in preseason and I wouldn't take much from his play during preseason. I don't think you can discount the lack of talent at WR hurt his development. Davis at TE is solid, but WR was weak. Both Crabtree and Manningham were expected to be big contributers last year but were injured. Boldin was the number 1, but he should only be a good no. 2 at this point. He isn't going to scare anyone in the backfield. Patton was a rookie and hurt. The other receivers were Williams, Marlon Moore, Baldwin which was very weak.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know he is not an elite QB. This scouting report must be based on what was observed last year. He has only briefly played in preseason and I wouldn't take much from his play during preseason. I don't think you can discount the lack of talent at WR hurt his development. Davis at TE is solid, but WR was weak. Both Crabtree and Manningham were expected to be big contributers last year but were injured. Boldin was the number 1, but he should only be a good no. 2 at this point. He isn't going to scare anyone in the backfield. Patton was a rookie and hurt. The other receivers were Williams, Marlon Moore, Baldwin which was very weak.
:agree: Not much to go on for scouting Kap so far this season and he has an arsenal now. We will soon see.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol sounds like a Sherman report.

If Earl Thomas and Terrell Suggs are giving Colin praise I'll take their word for it over some anonymous "expert"

Funny enough that guy brings up phantom routes...and people then make claims like Kap can't go through his progressions.

Which is it? He can't get through his progressions or he has phantom routes out there. Anyone try to throw a ball to a phantom? Those guys have a 100% drop rating.

This year we have the weapons, we'll see if Greg Roman actually calls an NFL level passing game. Once he does that people will be surprised what Kap can do throwing the ball. From the pocket, out of it, standing on one leg or while climbing Staley's back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lol sounds like a Sherman report.

If Earl Thomas and Terrell Suggs are giving Colin praise I'll take their word for it over some anonymous "expert"

Funny enough that guy brings up phantom routes...and people then make claims like Kap can't go through his progressions.

Which is it? He can't get through his progressions or he has phantom routes out there. Anyone try to throw a ball to a phantom? Those guys have a 100% drop rating.

This year we have the weapons, we'll see if Greg Roman actually calls an NFL level passing game. Once he does that people will be surprised what Kap can do throwing the ball. From the pocket, out of it, standing on one leg or while climbing Staley's back.

there is no reason Roman can't call an NFL passing game, but he has to consider what Kaep can and cannot do? 'play calling' is an overrated excuse for Kaep. now it IS a factor, just an 'easy out' to remove blame from Kaep.

it comes down to the players executing and by now, Kaep isn't a 'young QB'. he has played enough regular season AND play-off games. he is seasoned and should execute better, no matter the call. passing plays have progressions, so he's not limited to one receiver. its hard for a defense to shut-down all receivers on the same play.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:agree: Not much to go on for scouting Kap so far this season and he has an arsenal now. We will soon see.

Crabs has a calf issue, Vernon another hamstring strain. Not good, not good at all.

A lot of folks seem to be putting it ALL on Kap and that is not right. Its a team game: OL has to block, receivers have to get open, coaches have to game plan. Kap has to do his part too of course.

I am quite worried about this season. Seems like the injury/suspension bug is biting hard this year. And we still lack speed.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabs has a calf issue, Vernon another hamstring strain. Not good, not good at all.

A lot of folks seem to be putting it ALL on Kap and that is not right. Its a team game: OL has to block, receivers have to get open, coaches have to game plan. Kap has to do his part too of course.

I am quite worried about this season. Seems like the injury/suspension bug is biting hard this year. And we still lack speed.
VD is hurt? When did this happen? I don't think a lot of people are putting that much pressure on Kap really. He is paid to perform and needs to do so this season.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VD is hurt? When did this happen? I don't think a lot of people are putting that much pressure on Kap really. He is paid to perform and needs to do so this season.

Anthony Davis has a hamstring issue. I dont think its Vernon Davis

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QB CONFIDENTIAL

He'll have his best chance to succeed on Sunday. I doubt he'll see a worse defense all year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll have his best chance to succeed on Sunday. I doubt he'll see a worse defense all year.

Yes and no. The oline needs sone time to get together. Pass blocking hasnt been very good. With Boone back and hopefully A Davis back soon the oline should be better barring injury

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. The oline needs sone time to get together. Pass blocking hasnt been very good. With Boone back and hopefully A Davis back soon the oline should be better barring injury

on the defensive side Dallas during the preseason had more starters sitting than playing. It was almost like a who's who from the PS.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the defensive side Dallas during the preseason had more starters sitting than playing. It was almost like a who's who from the PS.
Same for the 9ers really. We didn't get to see much from the starters on either side of the ball. The 'Boys can move the ball well on the offense. I would say this is why many 9er fans are a bit worried if this comes down to a point-for-point game.