• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scheduling for the CFP.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I happen to agree UGA's schedule is reasonable/fine. If memory serves they seem to be one of the few SEC teams who have had no issue playing home and home against tougher teams and going to opposing stadiums.
I'm going to take you at your word and look at ALL AWAY games played.

Since 1990, in regular season games, OSU has played 42 opponents AWAY that finished in the top 25. ND has played 55. OSU has played FEWER top 25 teams AWAY than every single SEC team! The closest SEC teams are: UGa 45, Bama 48, Ole Miss 51, MSU 54 and Florida at 55. These are grossly distorted numbers.

IF we include neutral site games, OSU has played 49 T25 teams, ND has played 61, Florida has played 91, UGa 81, and Bama 67. The closest team to OSU in the SEC is Ole Miss at 54 T25 opponent. That's right in neutral site games OSU has played 7 T25 teams, ND had played 6, Bama 19 and Florida and Georgia have EACH played 36 T25 teams.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw, you're not after the SEC or my team!
did ya miss where I said cannot really fault UF all those seasons FSU was a really good team (as that's a tough opponent) and also not their fault they fell off the map (though so did UF). did ya also miss the "whatever" when it came to FCS week in the SEC?

also, was I wrong about Bama (really the only SEC team I called out by name) in that they did not play many true road games until recently? Yes, Bama is in the SEC but only one of now 16 teams. I called out Bama for that....not the SEC. also said UGa was usually pretty good with their OOC.

seriously....get a grip.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You apparently have no idea how annoying it is to hear YOUR claims about poor scheduling by the SEC. You have a completely distorted view of reality and don't wish to have your vision corrected.

OSU fans should NEVER trash talk the SEC about scheduling, period. You have NO idea of what goes on in the SEC and won't even bother to check things before posting.
Once again, that was not what I said. I told you what I'd like to see ALL teams do (who hope to be considered for CFP). 9 conference games, one tough OOC. In this case I am not trash talking the SEC (FYI, ending your irrational comment with "period" wont make it less irrational)

In fact, I have said many BIG teams have had pretty weak OOC schedules, including OSU this year (though not their fault). Though you'd be hard pressed to find a team that schedules tougher OOC than OSU other than maybe USC since the mid-90s.

If you want something different as far as scheduling, OK. Still have not said what you would like, though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to take you at your word and look at ALL AWAY games played.

Since 1990, in regular season games, OSU has played 42 opponents AWAY that finished in the top 25. ND has played 55. OSU has played FEWER top 25 teams AWAY than every single SEC team! The closest SEC teams are: UGa 45, Bama 48, Ole Miss 51, MSU 54 and Florida at 55. These are grossly distorted numbers.

IF we include neutral site games, OSU has played 49 T25 teams, ND has played 61, Florida has played 91, UGa 81, and Bama 67. The closest team to OSU in the SEC is Ole Miss at 54 T25 opponent. That's right in neutral site games OSU has played 7 T25 teams, ND had played 6, Bama 19 and Florida and Georgia have EACH played 36 T25 teams.
Cool.

Since the mid-90s OSU has scheduled a tough team home and home nearly every season. All we can ask for...now is true some of these teams - like Miami, Fla, Va Tech, etc fall off map by time we play and cannot do much about that.

Keep crying though....and will you ever say what you'd like to see as far as scheduling?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...In fact, I have said many BIG teams have had pretty weak OOC schedules, including OSU this year (though not their fault).
You are doing it again! Why separate OOC from IC games. SOS considers ALL games.

.... Though you'd be hard pressed to find a team that schedules tougher OOC than OSU other than maybe USC since the mid-90s.

This is just the kind of fantasy world you live in. OSU's OOC schedule on average isn't so hot. There are 26 (out of 64) P5 teams that have played a higher percentage of their OOC games against ranked opponents than has OSU. I use % age as I don't want to hear how the SEC plays MORE OOC games than does OSU.

OSU played 116 OOC games from 1990 to 2023. Of those 50 were against P5 teams. 19 were away, 28 were home games and 3 were at neutral sites. Of the 50 P5 teams 25 had records of at least 7-5 and 25 were below 7-5. Of the 25 teams with at least 7-5 records, 17 were ranked (7 away, 9 home and 1 at a neutral site).

For comparison, UF played 118 OOC games from 1990 to 2023. Of those 43 were against P5 teams. 20away, 21 at home, and 2 at neutral sites. Of the 43 P5 opponents, 33 had records of 7-5 or better and 30 were ranked 16 away, 14 at home and none at neutral sites.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are doing it again! Why separate OOC from IC games. SOS considers ALL games.

This is just the kind of fantasy world you live in. OSU's OOC schedule on average isn't so hot. There are 26 (out of 64) P5 teams that have played a higher percentage of their OOC games against ranked opponents than has OSU. I use % age as I don't want to hear how the SEC plays MORE OOC games than does OSU.

OSU played 116 OOC games from 1990 to 2023. Of those 50 were against P5 teams. 19 were away, 28 were home games and 3 were at neutral sites. Of the 50 P5 teams 25 had records of at least 7-5 and 25 were below 7-5. Of the 25 teams with at least 7-5 records, 17 were ranked (7 away, 9 home and 1 at a neutral site).

For comparison, UF played 118 OOC games from 1990 to 2023. Of those 43 were against P5 teams. 20away, 21 at home, and 2 at neutral sites. Of the 43 P5 opponents, 33 had records of 7-5 or better and 30 were ranked 16 away, 14 at home and none at neutral sites.
to your question at top, Because teams have no control of their in conference games and have control of their OOC. seemed obvious.

It's no fantasy world. Anyone with no agenda knows OSU schedules as well as anyone OOC other than maybe USC. One tough OOC opponent is really all anyone can ask and when scheduled OSU schedules one nearly every year. and I never really ridiculed UF's schedule as even though would be boring to me playing same tough OOC team every year not their fault when FSU falls off the map....like it's not FSU's fault when UF does (glad my team has not been in that situation for a very long time)

are you ever going to say how you'd like to see scheduling for teams?

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which SEC teams do you think doesn't play enough away/neutral games?
Ole miss, Missouri, Tennessee. Georgia just cancelled with UCLA and replaced with Marshall.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ole miss, Missouri, Tennessee. Georgia just cancelled with UCLA and replaced with Marshall.
Hey stupid, why don't you look into things BEFORE posting!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as to which SEC team does not play enough neutral site/away games? again, not about SEC despite your infatuation...likely stemming from being all you have with your team an alsoran for so long?

But did say for a long time your premier team, Bama, was such a team when it came to true away OOC (though were willing to do neutral site).

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to your question at top, Because teams have no control of their in conference games and have control of their OOC. seemed obvious.

No control? Why does OSU play Michigan EVERY year and up until now it has always the last game? This is the same excuse Boise State and Central Florida used to try to get in to the playoffs. No one listened to them either. If a team can't play "enough" tough teams IN conference then it's up to them to play more OOC. SOS involves ALL games and NOT just 3 games.

It's no fantasy world. Anyone with no agenda knows OSU schedules as well as anyone OOC other than maybe USC. One tough OOC opponent is really all anyone can ask and when scheduled OSU schedules one nearly every year.
Please provide data to support that nonsensical statement! I just showed you Florida plays a tougher OOC schedule than OSU. Yes, USC plays a tougher OOC schedule than OSU but so 24 other teams.

..and I never really ridiculed UF's schedule as even though would be boring to me playing same tough OOC team every year
Why is it boring to play the same tough teams every year OOC but perfectly fine to play them IN-conference every year? You lack of logic is growing!

not their fault when FSU falls off the map....like it's not FSU's fault when UF does (glad my team has not been in that situation for a very long time)
Get back to me when it happens!

are you ever going to say how you'd like to see scheduling for teams?
First, ALL schedules must be treated equally. That means that all labels such as "ooc" are disregarded. The "committee" ranks teams as usual. SOS must be a major component of the system. The "standard" is 3 ranked opponents. Any team that fails to play at least 3 "ranked" teams will have their record "adjusted" by changing a win to a loss for every "missing" ranked opponent. That is, a 12-0 team that plays just one ranked opponent will have their record "adjusted to 10-2 prior to committee consideration. Likewise, any team that plays more than 4 ranked opponents will have its record "adjusted" by changing a loss into a win for every ranked opponent over four. Thus a team that finished 10-2 but played SIX ranked teams will have an "adjusted" record of 12-0. This puts the onus on each team to make sure they play "quality" opponents. If they can't find them IN conference, then find them ooc, but find them! This applies to Boise State, Central Florida AND P5 teams! Simple as that. This encourages scheduling tougher "ooc" games as insurance.
No auto bids for SEC or B1G teams - if you can't meet the demands then you don't get in.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gator you ever going to say what you'd like to see as far as scheduling....at least for those teams who consider themselves true CFP contenders?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as to which SEC team does not play enough neutral site/away games? again, not about SEC despite your infatuation...likely stemming from being all you have with your team an alsoran for so long?

But did say for a long time your premier team, Bama, was such a team when it came to true away OOC (though were willing to do neutral site).
Blah, blah, blah. I don't care about OOC vs IC. Bama's entire regulars season schedules are better than OSU's.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah, blah, blah. I don't care about OOC vs IC. Bama's entire regulars season schedules are better than OSU's.
yeah, but you don't know this. I get you think ranking be all end all but it's not.

Never mind you asked a question and I answered....something you seem very scared to do which is a sign of the irrational.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You responded with...
yeah, but you don't know this. I get you think ranking be all end all but it's not.
My response is yes, I do but YOU don't.
Since 1990, Alabama has played a total of 127 ranked opponents while OSU has only played 105. OSU needs to beef-up it's OOC scheduling to make up the difference!!

Hell, OSU ranks 11th of 14 in the B1G in # of T25 opponents played in the regular season and 43rd out of 65 in P5 teams!

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You responded with...

My response is yes, I do but YOU don't.
Since 1990, Alabama has played a total of 127 ranked opponents while OSU has only played 105. OSU needs to beef-up it's OOC scheduling to make up the difference!!

Hell, OSU ranks 11th of 14 in the B1G in # of T25 opponents played in the regular season and 43rd out of 65 in P5 teams!
OSU (and Bama) only control their OOC. Not sure if you knew that. .....and, sorry, not sure I care much about beating some 4-5 loss SEC team who somehow gets ranked if you want to compare. I was only talking OOC.

To keep this going, though, I need an answer to my question. I see this knowing irrational people are spooked by questions but hopefully you can dig deep and get it done. You can do it, little fella.

you ever going to say what you'd like to see as far as scheduling....at least for those teams who consider themselves true CFP contenders?

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey stupid, why don't you look into things BEFORE posting!

I knew you would reply some SEC nonsense that Georgia had nothing to do with canceling game. It’s debatable who intitiated it. It’s reported as being mutual. At any rate still a weak move for Marshall to be the replacement.

UGADawg1988

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I knew you would reply some SEC nonsense that Georgia had nothing to do with canceling game. It’s debatable who intitiated it. It’s reported as being mutual. At any rate still a weak move for Marshall to be the replacement.
UCLA canceled with both UGA and Auburn at the same time. I think that in the place of UGA and Auburn they scheduled Utah and Cal, but could be mistaken.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU (and Bama) only control their OOC. Not sure if you knew that. .....and, sorry, not sure I care much about beating some 4-5 loss SEC team who somehow gets ranked if you want to compare. I was only talking OOC.
I think I will start referring to the Buckeyes as "tBSUO" for "the Boise State University of Ohio". Your sucky whole schedule can't compete with the big boys so you want to shorten it to only OOC games, LAME.

To keep this going, though, I need an answer to my question. I see this knowing irrational people are spooked by questions but hopefully you can dig deep and get it done. You can do it, little fella.

you ever going to say what you'd like to see as far as scheduling....at least for those teams who consider themselves true CFP contenders?

I answered it already!

First, ALL schedules must be treated equally. That means that all labels such as "ooc" are disregarded. The "committee" ranks teams as usual. SOS must be a major component of the system. The "standard" is 3 ranked opponents. Any team that fails to play at least 3 "ranked" teams will have their record "adjusted" by changing a win to a loss for every "missing" ranked opponent. That is, a 12-0 team that plays just one ranked opponent will have their record "adjusted to 10-2 prior to committee consideration. Likewise, any team that plays more than 4 ranked opponents will have its record "adjusted" by changing a loss into a win for every ranked opponent over four. Thus a team that finished 10-2 but played SIX ranked teams will have an "adjusted" record of 12-0. This puts the onus on each team to make sure they play "quality" opponents. If they can't find them IN conference, then find them ooc, but find them! This applies to Boise State, Central Florida AND P5 teams! Simple as that. This encourages scheduling tougher "ooc" games as insurance.
No auto bids for SEC or B1G teams - if you can't meet the demands then you don't get in.

A team should schedule 12 opponents each year with as many "good" teams as possible just like Notre Dame. If you are in a conference which demands 9 In-conference games so be it. You gave away control of 75% of your schedule so you better make wise choices on the remaining 25%. I don't care where your team finds the "good" opponents; in-conference, out-of-conference, in Hell or, on Mars. Just make sure you play at least three.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA canceled with both UGA and Auburn at the same time. I think that in the place of UGA and Auburn they scheduled Utah and Cal, but could be mistaken.

You're wasting your breath. He will tell you that MSN is biased and the "S" in MSN stands for "Southeastern"!

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're wasting your breath. He will tell you that MSN is biased and the "S" in MSN stands for "Southeastern"!
You didn’t mention Missouri or ole miss scheduling? Missouri specifically is rated to have the 127th hardest schedule.