• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Saturday Night Football: Lions @ Cowboys, 12/30/23, 8:15 ET

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While watching the replay of that on sportscenter, they were talking about the ref being in such a hurry too. I think the game got a little too big for him in that moment. There was no reason to hurry there. He should have taken the time to get it right. There really is no need for confusion there but the Detroit players also need to know to make sure they clearly communicate shit. They didn't have a time out to correct his fuck up though. Seems that it was just a case of a ref making assumptions and not doing his job properly which is yet another in a long line of mistakes that shouldn't happen in a sport this big. The league is afraid to admit they have a problem and a lot of the time, they do okay. But public perception is real and just okay isn't really good enough in most people's eyes.
the refs have sucked :censored: all year long
Wonder if this will force the NFL to try & make improvements instead of making excuses for them all the time.

Last time it was the PI in the saints game. Then the NFL allowed all the refs to send out a big FU to all of football, all year long.
Wonder if this time NFL has a different reaction?

What makes it look really bad. Is the explanations to try & defend the refs.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I can remember a more controversial NFL regular season ending that had more consequences than what happened last night.

Shades of the notorious Sacramento Kings-Lakers playoff series where the refs were so off you have to consider actual corruption as a reason.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess this explanation is what happened... #68 reported, but referee did not realize/recognize that he reported.

A gadget play that also fooled the referee even though they discussed play with him pre-game.

Agree all the subsequent 2 pt conversion attempts a bit too aggresive, I assumed was going to play for OT after penalty.

Good game to watch... unfortunately most of the talk is this penalty.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the refs have sucked :censored: all year long
Wonder if this will force the NFL to try & make improvements instead of making excuses for them all the time.

Last time it was the PI in the saints game. Then the NFL allowed all the refs to send out a big FU to all of football, all year long.
Wonder if this time NFL has a different reaction?

What makes it look really bad. Is the explanations to try & defend the refs.
I agree, especially on that last sentence @Schmoopy1000 . If they would own it and deal with it, it would at least give fans some optimism that they are trying to correct the problems. It's when they bullshit their way through it that gets me pissed. Nobody held accountable for shit, these days.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, especially on that last sentence @Schmoopy1000 . If they would own it and deal with it, it would at least give fans some optimism that they are trying to correct the problems. It's when they bullshit their way through it that gets me pissed. Nobody held accountable for shit, these days.
They have to bull shit their way through it once it happens. If they don’t:
1. They have to own the impact this all has on playoff seeding. Potentially, who is 1,2,3,5 in the NFC could be altered from this result.
2. Gambling class action results. The spread was still in the Lions favor because the Cowboys were like 4-5 point favorites but there were likely tons and tons of money line bets that were impacted.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to bull shit their way through it once it happens. If they don’t:
1. They have to own the impact this all has on playoff seeding. Potentially, who is 1,2,3,5 in the NFC could be altered from this result.
2. Gambling class action results. The spread was still in the Lions favor because the Cowboys were like 4-5 point favorites but there were likely tons and tons of money line bets that were impacted.
Yeah, no real easy answers after the fact, I guess. But as long as they continue to bury their head in the sand and make excuses, it will continue to get worse. The court of public opinion is real and the league looks like it's covering up something deeper. Likely not but the perception is there.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah plus he left points on the table in the first half, by not taking the FG. HC don't chase points so early in the game, except jerkoffs like the one who used to coach the Chargers
When you’re a head coach in the best league in the world you have to be you. Dan Campbell is an aggressive coach and the net is a positive for his squad. Sometimes the aggression doesn’t work out and you have to live with that outcome. Lions aren’t done. I don’t think he’s “chasing points” that early in the game. I think he’s saying he believes in his offense to make a play and if they don’t he believes in his defense to have the offense’s back.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no real easy answers after the fact, I guess. But as long as they continue to bury their head in the sand and make excuses, it will continue to get worse. The court of public opinion is real and the league looks like it's covering up something deeper. Likely not but the perception is there.
I think publicly they have to talk this nonsense and defend their people. Behind closed doors there needs to be chastising that gets done and this crew shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a playoff game. The head of the crew has been involved in multiple questionable circumstances this season (including a circumstance that benefitted my team vs Dolphins with 10 Miami penalties to zero Eagles penalties) and next season should be demoted and not considered for the position of head of a crew anymore.

This isn’t a rule thing or a bang bang play that a human being can make a human error on. This is game maintenance and complete incompetence from a crew.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This lions loss is the one that galvanizes the team for their superbowl victory run.....
Chuckle Laughing GIF

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured Campbell and his balls in a wheelbarrow would eventually cost him in a big game. It does not matter whether you thought he reported or not, I saw him go stand in the huddle when 70 reported, but either way, he was uncovered on the line which made him ineligible anyway.

I guess nothing to really win here other than pride, both teams are 11-4 now, but if this scenario happens in the playoffs, did Dan learn anything about getting the tie on the road?

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line...they kicked the Lions ass..Im tired of people moving the goal posts when the Cowboys win. Anytime Philly or KC or SF win a close game, it's a "gutty win". With the Cowboys, if they don't win by 20, they played like ass, if they do win by 20, that team was a tin can. Winning is winning
They barely won and didnt earn it. They needed the refs to save their asses even after the Lions played a shitty game and beat them.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amuses me the fail Mary got the old refs back, when the old refs made worse calls than the replacement ones who were actually trying. And the FAIL MARY was the CORRECT CALL... You don't intercept a pass in the AIR - both feet have to be DOWN, Tate's feet as he had his hands on the ball were down before the defender (who actually came down with one foot out of bounds)... whatever. So tired of the morons these days that watch football and pretend to know what's happening.

The replacement refs were actually calling things correctly. Sadly it didn't fit the agenda of the execs and owners... that's why they were canned. Green Bay was in their prime and a much bigger market than Seattle... it was about the $$$.

And then Dallas... they've screwed over Detroit several times thanks to the NFL fixing games last minute for money. Zero surprise it happens again.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you’re a head coach in the best league in the world you have to be you. Dan Campbell is an aggressive coach and the net is a positive for his squad. Sometimes the aggression doesn’t work out and you have to live with that outcome. Lions aren’t done. I don’t think he’s “chasing points” that early in the game. I think he’s saying he believes in his offense to make a play and if they don’t he believes in his defense to have the offense’s back.
No I agree the Lions are a good team and gave Dallas the best game they have had at home, been scoring 30plus lately in Arlington. Campbell is what the Lions needed, especially after that whackoo Patricia we had here, ruined the team. Than the other "genius" BB brings him back to be the OC wtf

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I can remember a more controversial NFL regular season ending that had more consequences than what happened last night.

Shades of the notorious Sacramento Kings-Lakers playoff series where the refs were so off you have to consider actual corruption as a reason.
Maybe we can investigate the bank account(s) of this group and see if any got abnormal size or number of payments.:heh:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#70 didn't go downfield nor catch the pass it was #68, who by reports did not reort elligible.
STFU idiot. It is right on the video 68 going up to the ref. I know you want to defend the NFL bias for big market teams since the Pats benefited constantly for 2 decades from it but you are out of your depth here.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured Campbell and his balls in a wheelbarrow would eventually cost him in a big game. It does not matter whether you thought he reported or not, I saw him go stand in the huddle when 70 reported, but either way, he was uncovered on the line which made him ineligible anyway.

I guess nothing to really win here other than pride, both teams are 11-4 now, but if this scenario happens in the playoffs, did Dan learn anything about getting the tie on the road?
Actually if he reports eligible then he is supposed to be uncovered on the end and he lined up at TE spot not OT so it is not even relevant.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70 never reported. Being uncovered actually is part of the criteria needed for a player to be eligible. If they correctly named the right player eligible it’s a legal formation. 6 OL on the line of scrimmage and one WR at top of the screen on the line of scrimmage. That’s 7. 70 is covered up and 68 is not.
What are you talking about? This shuts the door likely on Detroit having a change at the 1 seed or at worst locking up the 2 seed. This difference is huge for them.