• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Francisco 49ers reached agreement with former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There's no way we're keeping Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, Miller, Cartwright, and Dixon on the roster. That would defeat the entire purpose of trying to get deep somewhere else.

Dixon is the odd man out.

That's the likely scenario but if you replace Norris with Jacobs that's about the same amount of RBs we carried last year.

Cartwright is basically Costanzo on this team so we could go one heavier on RB and one less on LB since Cartwright like Costanzo would only see time at their respective positions in dire emergencies.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Most questionable signing Baalke has made, but it's for a probable 3rd stringer. Any chances Jacobs doesn't make the team?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Most questionable signing Baalke has made, but it's for a probable 3rd stringer. Any chances Jacobs doesn't make the team?

I think there's a reasonable chance if Dixon beats him out. I have trouble seeing them both on the team, though the Cartwright/Costanzo comparison may be valid.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dixon's spot on ST can easily be replaced by a late round draft pick. Don't think Dixon will out perform Jacobs for that backup role. Jacobs gives Gore more rest which he needs. Nice luxury for Gore to take a series off every once in a while.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So if our roster looks like:

RB: Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, Cartwright
FB: Miller

Who plays FB if Miller goes down? Byham, Walker or Jacobs? Do we just use more single back multiple TE sets then?

What I don't like about this roster is, 3 out of the 5 backs are old.
I would like to replace Jacobs or Cartwright with some young good back that can eventually replace Gore.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Who plays FB if Miller goes down? Byham, Walker or Jacobs? Do we just use more single back multiple TE sets then?

I would like to replace Jacobs or Cartwright with some young good back that can eventually replace Gore.

Byham played out of the backfield quite a lot in his rookie year and looked pretty good doing it. I'd imagine he'd get a long look.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you not think Hunter can replace Gore eventually?? Or do you see him as purely situational??

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dixon's spot on ST can easily be replaced by a late round draft pick. Don't think Dixon will out perform Jacobs for that backup role. Jacobs gives Gore more rest which he needs. Nice luxury for Gore to take a series off every once in a while.

If that's our goal, I'd rather give Hunter those carries.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do you not think Hunter can replace Gore eventually?? Or do you see him as purely situational??

I like Hunter and I think he can take over the full time, but he's a bit small and light so the question I have is how durable is he? Would he wear down after 1/2 a season being the full time back? He might not wear down, you really can only tell by giving him a shot as the full time back.

He's about the same weight as Chris Johnson and Westbrook and they have proven they can handle a full time job.

But then some lighter backs wear down easily when given the full time job.

It's a crapshoot, you just have to put Hunter in the position and see how he does.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Hunter and I think he can take over the full time, but he's a bit small and light so the question I have is how durable is he? Would he wear down after 1/2 a season being the full time back? He might not wear down, you really can only tell by giving him a shot as the full time back.

He's about the same weight as Chris Johnson and Westbrook and they have proven they can handle a full time job.

But then some lighter backs wear down easily when given the full time job.

It's a crapshoot, you just have to put Hunter in the position and see how he does.

Hunter is a Ray Rice clone, virtually identical in terms of size and measurables. It's pretty incredible just how similar they are (or were at the combine):

Kendall Hunter | Oklahoma State, RB : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

*Ray Rice | Rutgers, RB : 2008 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

The question is, can Hunter handle the full-time responsibilities? Rice is fairly unique in that he has been able to despite being pretty undersized. I don't know that I have an answer. I think Hunter could be a primary back if we had a 60/40 split. I wouldn't be comfortable giving him 75% or more of the carries as we have done with Gore. I don't think we need to go hard after an all-around back, though. I'd be fine with a bigger back who can complement Hunter.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Jacobs' production will answer that. Totally different situations. Teams rarely crowd the box against the Giants like they do against us. We'd envision Jacobs as a short-yardage back, but the Giants didn't really use him that way. He also started six games this season, which would be something of a worst-case scenario for us.

My biggest problem with this move is the age. He's old and washed up. Dixon has disappointed to date, but if we want to replace him, let's go younger, as Clyde said.

yea i agree I'd prefer to go younger too.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure Hunter can handle the full time role. I really have like what I have seen so far but we havent really seen enough yet to determine that. He is a solid change of pace guy right now and will be again this yr i believe.

IMO i think he will need to add on some more muscle if he intends to take over.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea i agree I'd prefer to go younger too.

That's definitely always better in terms of contracts and the future, but this team is set to compete right now, there will plenty of comparable RBs in next years draft and a rookie RB or Dixon wouldn't contribute much, if Gore misses significant time. The most important part of the phrase, "Brandon Jacobs signs a one-year deal with the Niners" is the "one-year" part.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen the comments about Jacobs being "soft"...not tough enough, I don't agree with that. What issues has he had that make this a legit comment?

I'd would say that a man with his size and power should produce more; but, much of that is in how NY used him? He's not easily taken down and has been a reliable 3rd down back. He also had 7 TDs last season, I like that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've seen the comments about Jacobs being "soft"...not tough enough, I don't agree with that. What issues has he had that make this a legit comment?

I'd would say that a man with his size and power should produce more; but, much of that is in how NY used him? He's not easily taken down and has been a reliable 3rd down back. He also had 7 TDs last season, I like that.

But he hasn't, really. He has barely carried on 3rd and 4th down over the past two years. In 2008 he actually had 19 third down carries, and he wasn't particularly effective. I can't find his conversion rate, but he averaged less than a yard on 3rd and 1-2. My sense is that the Giants went away from him on third down precisely because he wasn't very effective on third down, giving Bradshaw more looks even in short yardage.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But he hasn't, really. He has barely carried on 3rd and 4th down over the past two years. In 2008 he actually had 19 third down carries, and he wasn't particularly effective. I can't find his conversion rate, but he averaged less than a yard on 3rd and 1-2. My sense is that the Giants went away from him on third down precisely because he wasn't very effective on third down, giving Bradshaw more looks even in short yardage.

I'd have to find it but I know he was around 60% on 3rd down/short yardage. Bradshaw was not all that impressive either, I don't know how much is Jacobs...but the Giants didn't use him like a real short yardage back and certainly didn't seem to coach him that way.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, I look at this as #1 and #2 backs are solidly cemented, and the #3 back is now a competition between Dixon, Cartwright and Jacobs. Don't forget Cartwright.

We might keep 1 or 2 out of the 3. Special teams play will factor in.

So it at least made some more competition.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ryan Gillespie:

Bruce Miller on Brandon Jacobs: "Hopefully he doesn't try to play fullback" with a laugh.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before panic sets in I think its a move to push Dixon. Dixon is a power back who runs like a ballerina. If Dixon would man up an run like he is built for he'd be just fine. Maybe Competition from Jacobs will open Dixon's eyes to just go forward.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd have to find it but I know he was around 60% on 3rd down/short yardage. Bradshaw was not all that impressive either, I don't know how much is Jacobs...but the Giants didn't use him like a real short yardage back and certainly didn't seem to coach him that way.

But they did early on in his career before moving away from him in that role.