• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Salt and Pepper you like to use???

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I know, sure seems like a simple ridiculous question right? However, there are lots of different types of both...

For Salt I like to use Kosher salt or this nice Pacific Sea Salt I bought at Penzey's...The ONLY time I would ever use something like iodized salt would be to season pasta water...

I've tried smoked salts and things like that, not a big fan. Though at Raku in Vegas, their fresh tofu is served with a green tea salt which is AMAZING when sprinkled on top...

As for pepper, always fresh ground black pepper(usually Telicherries or something along those lines). The only pre-ground pepper I ever really use is ground white, which I like to mix a little in with my kosher salt...

How about everone else? What salts and peppers do you like using when you cook?

Of course there's also pink peppercorns(never saw the big deal), Sichuan peppercorns(which are used differently of course), etc...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge pepper fan, but we almost always use coarse sea salt nowadays. We do keep a box of Morton's, mainly for dumping in the pasta pot like you said.

We were given some Celtic sea salt a while back, it's pretty good. And whatever Trader Joe's has on sale.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I know, sure seems like a simple ridiculous question right? However, there are lots of different types of both...

For Salt I like to use Kosher salt or this nice Pacific Sea Salt I bought at Penzey's...The ONLY time I would ever use something like iodized salt would be to season pasta water...

I've tried smoked salts and things like that, not a big fan. Though at Raku in Vegas, their fresh tofu is served with a green tea salt which is AMAZING when sprinkled on top...

As for pepper, always fresh ground black pepper(usually Telicherries or something along those lines). The only pre-ground pepper I ever really use is ground white, which I like to mix a little in with my kosher salt...

How about everone else? What salts and peppers do you like using when you cook?

Of course there's also pink peppercorns(never saw the big deal), Sichuan peppercorns(which are used differently of course), etc...

I would bet that I have over a dozen different salts that I use for different things. My go-to's are Diamond Crystal kosher salt for mixes (like fried chicken dredge, etc), Morton's kosher salt for seasoning and fleur de sel for finishing.

I will use the smoked salt if I'm doing ribs in the oven instead of smoking them. I've got some black lava salt that can be cool looking to finish some dishes.

Interesting thing about the Diamond Crystal and Morton's kosher salts - you'll get something like 10-15% more salt from a cup of Morton's than you will a cup of Diamond Crystal - which is why I use it for mixes.

I do the same for pepper. Go to is standard black, but I also keep white peppercorns (which are spicier) and Sichuan peppercorns on hand. Sichuan are funky as hell. If you've never had them, you should give them a try.

I use the Sichuan on lamb rib chops - simple and delicious. Season chops with salt & Sichuan pepper and let sit for an hour or so, the squirt them with fresh lime juice and grill. Really fucking good.

Last edited:

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thing about the Diamond Crystal and Morton's kosher salts - you'll get something like 10-15% more salt from a cup of Morton's than you will a cup of Diamond Crystal - which is why I use it for mixes.

I learned this the first time I made Thomas Keller's buttermilk fried chicken. I used mortons for the brine and dredge and the chicken was salty as hell. I double checked the recipe and noticed that it called for Diamond Crystal.

I used my food scale to weigh a cup of each salt and the mortons weighed more. I forget the exact percentage, but it was substantial.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I forgot we have some costco Himalayan pink:

9630e74dd6157321862aaca6649b9275.jpg

The kids like using this at dinner because they can grind it themselves. Makes 'em feel all fancy. I don't like the flavor as much as I like the Celtic:

Selina-Naturally-Celtic-Sea-Salt-Light-Grey-Coarse-728060100088.jpg

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a lot of kosher salt and coarse sea salt. I use iodized salt for pasta water as well and boiled peanuts and grits. I use smoked salts in my rubs.

I used fresh ground pepper for a handful of things, but I use regular ground black pepper for almost everything. I have no issues with it.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just about the only salt I'll use is Johnny's Seasoning salt, but I'm not a salt guy so.....

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I forgot we have some costco Himalayan pink:

View attachment 107897

The kids like using this at dinner because they can grind it themselves. Makes 'em feel all fancy. I don't like the flavor as much as I like the Celtic:

View attachment 107898
I've been wanting to try the Himalayan pink salt but I haven't been able to justify the price without tasting it first. What is it like? Is it worth it?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black, white and green pepper guy here...yeah I hit my chow 3 time w/ salt. Once in marinade, once pre-cook and of course...to taste at end. I'm still breathing.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to use kosher salt for almost everything, I've since switched to some pink stuff. The kosher salt breaks down into smaller crystals (for me) quicker than the pink stuff. I like bigger crystals for salting my steals ahead of time.

One other thing that I make a couple times a year that really, really need large crystals is just a salted chocolate "bark" or whatever. My mom every year at Christmas makes melted white chocolate over candy cane or peppermint pieces. My ex wife used to do milk chocolate over dry roasted peanuts. So I tried it with just big salt crystals and I love it.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wanting to try the Himalayan pink salt but I haven't been able to justify the price without tasting it first. What is it like? Is it worth it?

The main benefit of Himalayan pink salts are the minerals they're loaded with. Makes it much healthier than other salts...

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to use kosher salt for almost everything, I've since switched to some pink stuff. The kosher salt breaks down into smaller crystals (for me) quicker than the pink stuff. I like bigger crystals for salting my steals ahead of time.

One other thing that I make a couple times a year that really, really need large crystals is just a salted chocolate "bark" or whatever. My mom every year at Christmas makes melted white chocolate over candy cane or peppermint pieces. My ex wife used to do milk chocolate over dry roasted peanuts. So I tried it with just big salt crystals and I love it.

That's one of the things I use the Penzey's coarse Pacific sea salt for(forgot to mention the coarse part in my original post)...It doesn't break down easily, so its perfect for uses like this...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever is cheapest.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there no difference in taste?

Not as far as I've been able to tell. If there is a taste difference, its so small that only a "supertaster" Chef like Joel Robuchon would be able to tell...(He's known to have about the best palate in the world)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as far as I've been able to tell. If there is a taste difference, its so small that only a "supertaster" Chef like Joel Robuchon would be able to tell...(He's known to have about the best palate in the world)
All things considered I'm not sure the price is worth the health benefit if that's how it is.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things considered I'm not sure the price is worth the health benefit if that's how it is.

Of course the other thing about Pink salt is that it looks nice. You sprinkle some on right before serving so it adds flavor and color to the plate...