• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabean on Belt

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. It's funny because it's true. Anyone else a fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Most of my friends like that show a lot...I find it irritating and annoying. I guess that's Larry David's point, but still.

OTOH, I really enjoy The Office, which is just plain uncomfortable. Which again is exactly the point.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big time.

How about 30 Rock?

I really, REALLY like Tina Fey, but 30 Rock just isn't funny. Tracy Morgan is NOT funny. Alec Baldwin plays the same character he always plays and it's trite. I'm surprised, b/c Tina Fey is a comic genius.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of my friends like that show a lot...I find it irritating and annoying. I guess that's Larry David's point, but still.

OTOH, I really enjoy The Office, which is just plain uncomfortable. Which again is exactly the point.

Every seen the original Ricky Gervais UK 'Office'? 10x the American version. I like the US one too (used to anyway, like most comedy series that go that long, it's definitely jumped the shark) but it's a totally different animal.

The UK one is meaner, and more uncomfortable. The boss isn't a lovable doofus, he's a mean doofus.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every seen the original Ricky Gervais UK 'Office'? 10x the American version. I like the US one too (used to anyway, like most comedy series that go that long, it's definitely jumped the shark) but it's a totally different animal.

The UK one is meaner, and more uncomfortable. The boss isn't a lovable doofus, he's a mean doofus.

I have seen the original version a few times, but it never really grabbed me. I like the British Dwight better (the one-eyed pirate from the Pirate of the Caribbean movies) but I do not like the British versions of Pam and Jim.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I OWN the original...some of the funniest TV EVER. I need to rewatch that one again.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen the original version a few times, but it never really grabbed me. I like the British Dwight better (the one-eyed pirate from the Pirate of the Caribbean movies) but I do not like the British versions of Pam and Jim.

Gareth Anderson Investigates!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just caught some 30 Rock - season one on Netflix. Amusing.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just caught some 30 Rock - season one on Netflix. Amusing.

Then they did what they set out to do :)

Like most comedy series they hit their stride really well in season 2-3 and then by season 4 (last year I think?) it starts to get a little stale and formulaic. Frankly there's hardly any comedy series, especially non-cartoon, that doesn't curdle after a while. It's the essence of comedy, it can't possibly stay fresh and interesting forever.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then they did what they set out to do :)

Like most comedy series they hit their stride really well in season 2-3 and then by season 4 (last year I think?) it starts to get a little stale and formulaic. Frankly there's hardly any comedy series, especially non-cartoon, that doesn't curdle after a while. It's the essence of comedy, it can't possibly stay fresh and interesting forever.

I'm not sure about that. Three's Company was solid throughout. All those misunderstandings were hilarious.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about that. Three's Company was solid throughout. All those misunderstandings were hilarious.

I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the season finales of Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, and In Treatment I find myself without any current series to follow. Good thing I've got a bunch of movies Tivo'd.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the season finales of Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, and In Treatment I find myself without any current series to follow. Good thing I've got a bunch of movies Tivo'd.

Dexter finale was anti-climactic. SOA was pretty epic. Dont have HBO, so I don't watch BE or IT (saw a few eps of the first season and it put me to sleep)...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dexter finale was anti-climactic. SOA was pretty epic. Dont have HBO, so I don't watch BE or IT (saw a few eps of the first season and it put me to sleep)...

Boardwalk Empire is pretty damn good, in the tradition of the Sopranos. In Treatment is based on an Israeli series called B'Tipul which I became familiar with the last time I was over there. I'm a big Gabriel Byrne fan, ever since Miller's Crossing. It's definitely not an 'action' series.

I liked the Dexter finale, but I was hyper aware of the screen time devoted to Jennifer Carpenter (Deb Morgan) and Lauren Velez (Lt. Laguardia) -- they are really fucking awful actresses and painful to endure. I thought the plot was handled well and I will miss Julia Stiles (Lumen). My prediction for next year: Jeff Goldblum will be the nemesis. Last season it was John Lithgow and this season it was Peter Weller. I figure they'll just keep pulling actors from Buckaroo Bonzai. Other options are Christopher Lloyd, Ellen Barkin, and Clancy Brown (who was AMAZING in Carnivale, btw).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boardwalk Empire is pretty damn good, in the tradition of the Sopranos. In Treatment is based on an Israeli series called B'Tipul which I became familiar with the last time I was over there. I'm a big Gabriel Byrne fan, ever since Miller's Crossing. It's definitely not an 'action' series.

I liked the Dexter finale, but I was hyper aware of the screen time devoted to Jennifer Carpenter (Deb Morgan) and Lauren Velez (Lt. Laguardia) -- they are really fucking awful actresses and painful to endure. I thought the plot was handled well and I will miss Julia Stiles (Lumen). My prediction for next year: Jeff Goldblum will be the nemesis. Last season it was John Lithgow and this season it was Peter Weller. I figure they'll just keep pulling actors from Buckaroo Bonzai. Other options are Christopher Lloyd, Ellen Barkin, and Clancy Brown (who was AMAZING in Carnivale, btw).

Too bad Vincent Schiavelli passed a few years back. He could have been a completely over-the-top psycho-baddie for Dex to fight (even though he does not really fit the "vibe" of the show)