• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabean on Belt

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sabean said:
About his chances of making the team in 2011: “For Belt to be in the mix (on the major-league roster), he’ll have to play every day. He’s much like Posey _ when his time comes, it’s going to be a definitive opportunity and we won’t look back. But this kid seems to be on a mission and he’s opened everybody’s eyes, so we’re open-minded.”

On this week’s staff evaluations of him: “If you were in these meetings, there were a lot of compelling things said. He’s very advanced as hitter. Belt’s situation (unlike Posey’s) is not tied to what he has to do on the defensive side, because he’s an accomplished first baseman now. He’s way above average at that position. He needs schooling in the outfield because that was a short-term experiment last year, but I think what also would help him is the best-case scenario out of spring training he’d hit down in the lineup. I think there would be less pressure.

“He could be the first baseman and Huff could be the left fielder. It’s whatever suits Belt best, how and when he comes up. I don’t want to put him in a do-or-die situation. But this kid, from the scouts that saw the games he played in left and right, it comes pretty easy to him.”

Other staff assessments: “Some of the comments today were ‘best baserunner in our organization, best baserunner in awhile that we’ve seen come through here, can really work a count, is very selective, knows the strike zone, can hunt pitches. He’s got power _ he’s basically a line drive and alley hitter _ but he’s got power. And he’s similar to Posey in a lot of ways, because Posey has that quiet confidence and they’re up at the plate trying to do something with every at-bat and they’re ready to hit every pitch. That’s tough to teach.”

About putting pressure on Belt with such heavy praise: “He’s got no choice. He’s put himself in this position.”

On when the time will be right for him to be in the big leagues: “It’s usually up to the player. It’s so obvious that you can’t hold him back, that there’s nothing to be learned or nothing to be gained by either starting the year in Triple-A or staying down there. We were really in that position with Posey. He’ll make it easy on everybody. He should be more relaxed or apt (than Posey) to really show something in spring training. Not that Buster didn’t, but he needed some lessons behind the plate. And that needed to be done no matter what he did in spring training.”

From Baggs' blog.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sabean never talks up minor leaguers. Belt must be something really special.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean never talks up minor leaguers. Belt must be something really special.

Maybe we will be seeing a Belt trade in the next few weeks? When I played fantasy, I would use this technique for guys I was trying to move. Talk them up as the next-best-thing, then a while later, approach a fellow owner about his super-stud, and float my "sold" guy as someone I may be willing to part with for the right price...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we will be seeing a Belt trade in the next few weeks? When I played fantasy, I would use this technique for guys I was trying to move. Talk them up as the next-best-thing, then a while later, approach a fellow owner about his super-stud, and float my "sold" guy as someone I may be willing to part with for the right price...

Good point. In terms of trade value, Belt's can't be higher than it is right now. Unless, of course, he plays three months in the bigs with an OPS over .750. In which case, we would want Sabean to keep him, so there would be no trade value since there would be no trade. It's a slippery slope with potential vs. actual value.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

that worked?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or he played with a bunch of Titos.

The most knowledgeable baseball fan on the planet? A superior evaluator of talent? He has watched or listened to every Giants' game since 1962. I highly doubt anyone could pull the wool over his eyes. However, I believe he routinely deceives himself. No manipulation necessary.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most knowledgeable baseball fan on the planet? A superior evaluator of talent? He has watched or listened to every Giants' game since 1962. I highly doubt anyone could pull the wool over his eyes. However, I believe he routinely deceives himself. No manipulation necessary.

P.S. JA!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

What a miserable year it must have been for him....

to see Sabean's Giants end up as World Champions!!!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that worked?

All the time.

Of course, I would not pull the players out of thin air. They would be legit players, I would just add the garnish.

For example, I traded T.O. for Lynch and a third round pick in the next years draft a couple years back when TO had a strong first 6 or 7 weeks of the season. After the trade, TO went back into hibernation, and IIRC, the other guy ended up dumping him before the end of the season (Lynch did not do much for me, either, but the pick was my main focus of the trade, anyway).

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All the time.

Of course, I would not pull the players out of thin air. They would be legit players, I would just add the garnish.

For example, I traded T.O. for Lynch and a third round pick in the next years draft a couple years back when TO had a strong first 6 or 7 weeks of the season. After the trade, TO went back into hibernation, and IIRC, the other guy ended up dumping him before the end of the season (Lynch did not do much for me, either, but the pick was my main focus of the trade, anyway).

I don't think it's "right" for you to take advantage of inferior owners.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's "right" for you to take advantage of inferior owners.

I tried taking advantage of the superior ones, but they seldom fell for my tricks. The inferior ones were the only ones left to take advantage of.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a miserable year it must have been for him....

to see Sabean's Giants end up as World Champions!!!!

Plus all that money he lost on Matt Cain starts.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Go easy, Gekko. Of course, it is always a good idea to run your fantasy team like Gordon Gekko would.

OT: Anyone see the Wall Street sequel? Worth throwing on the Netflix cue?

Haven't seen it - probably won't. Just now getting into season one of Dexter, and Weeds.