• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban signs Bama extension... Texas meltdown in 3... 2... 1...

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Saban's new contract is going to have him earning over 7 Million a year.
Out of curiosity, from where does all that money come?

I bring that up, because the students at UNA had a fit when tuition was raised to cover a move to FCS, and that's chump change in comparison.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the terms of his contract are until...............the end of his career! :yahoo: He aint going nowhere!!!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, that makes sense. Found this, though it doesn't break down revenue by sport:

Those expenses also include salaries etc.

The football program actually pays for other sports as well. I think the football program was around 65-85 million in revenue. I haven't looked recently.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity, from where does all that money come?

I bring that up, because the students at UNA had a fit when tuition was raised to cover a move to FCS, and that's chump change in comparison.

Some of it is State money that is alotted for his position, but that is a small part. The rest comes from big time boosters from what i hear. Being a state employee in a sense, it has to be approved by the state, but its a foregone conclusion as it doesnt come form their coffers and its accounted for by the school.

When you take into account what the school gets back in return from his being there and what the team has done, the enrollment growth since he has been there, and the facilites being redone due to money that he is raising by being the coach and smoozing the boosters and money people, this is a small drop in a bucket to pay.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has to have an effect on UT recruiting what kid wants to play for Mac now? You almost have to be a die hard fan. This might give aTm a bump on commitments.

Absolutely, but Mack really isn't the recruiter the media builds him up to be. That has been one the most over hyped subjects over the past 16 years in college football. If he were, mack would have a much better record.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches ditch out of contracts all the time. Until we see who is on the Alabama sideline and who is on the Texas, this doesn't mean jack.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches ditch out of contracts all the time. Until we see who is on the Alabama sideline and who is on the Texas, this doesn't mean jack.

:L

Yeah, everyone else in the college football world is wrong for thinking a contact extension pretty much ends all this. You are the only one with a clue!

Do you ever say anything intelligent?

Chicago-Bama

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Have no problem if Mack stays.

he is still a good coach. This whole episode probably helped put things into perspective.

As long as Mack stops being such a nice guy with his assistants, he can be the man who brings it back.

Mack is a gifted recruiter who let his assistant coaches run the show for far too long.

Texas can be very successful under Mack Brown IF:

1) Mack starts coaching again and stops delegating it to poor assistants
or
2) Mack hires young innovative assistant coaches who Mack can trust

MACK BROWN loves to recruit. MACK BROWN loves to FUNDRAISE.
He is almost unmatched in those two things.

I just am not sure the passion is there for the Xs and Os anymore.

So this will either re-ignite that passion or force him to bring in quality Xs and Os guy.

This is how I feel also. I always thought he would get 1 more year. Who you going to hire, That will walk in the door and Recruit, Fundraise, AND COACH better than MB next year?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Yeah, everyone else in the college football world is wrong for thinking a contact extension pretty much ends all this. You are the only one with a clue!

Do you ever say anything intelligent?
The extension isn't the obstacle because there is no buyout, he can leave when he wants with no penalty, it just obligates Alabama to more exposure if they want to get rid of him. Saban's contracts have always been one sided in his favor which is great for him.

The true obstacles are price, which has now become pretty much fiscally irresponsible for most schools, and desire, which we can assume has been answered by the new contract.

Therefore his comment isn't unintelligent it is merely improbable.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I feel also. I always thought he would get 1 more year. Who you going to hire, That will walk in the door and Recruit, Fundraise, AND COACH better than MB next year?

AFA the coaching goes, just about anybody. When the "not losing so poorly" ends, the recruiting and fund raising is easy. I'm guessing you don't that season ticket sales have gone down every year since the 2010 4-7 season.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with Mack staying. I was open to him leaving - if we found the right coach and if it was on his terms. Those things obviously didn't happen.

If you put things into perspective, we were 1 quarter away from winning the Big 12, without:

#1 QB
#1 LB
#1 DT
#1 RB
#1 KR/PR, flex player.

He gets nearly the entire team back next year. Next year is NOT the rebuilding year. Everyone who knows the roster knows that next year will be one of our most experienced Longhorn teams ever. Mack already has a relationship with everyone of these guys. I think they will play hard for him.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it is reasonable to assume that Texas did make a run at Saban since there is no way Alabama steps up like this if there wasn't at least a perceived threat.

The real question becomes did Texas have a plan B or was it Saban or nothing? I'm extremely curious if during back door discussions if Texas was turned down by anyone else. The pool for top coaches is incredibly small and this maybe a signal that there isn't a viable candidate in the market that Texas was willing to roll the dice on.

This drama will play out again next year unless Mac vastly improves probably not with Saban but someone is going to be the target.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, but Mack really isn't the recruiter the media builds him up to be. That has been one the most over hyped subjects over the past 16 years in college football. If he were, mack would have a much better record.

Heard on the radio that he turned down RG3, Johnny Manziel, and Jameis Winston. He definitely has some cataracts going now when it comes to talent.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio that he turned down RG3, Johnny Manziel, and Jameis Winston. He definitely has some cataracts going now when it comes to talent.

Heard Winston was interested in Texas. 5 or 6 calls from his high school coach to Texas over a month's time were never returned. It boggles the mind.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Winston was interested in Texas. 5 or 6 calls from his high school coach to Texas over a month's time were never returned. It boggles the mind.

I thought they wanted him to be a defensive back

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trolling, trolling, trolling. Keep those rumors rolling. Rawhide.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb ass Auburn fans should not be allowed to even post on this issue! Seriously, some of their comments! :L

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I would ever rub it in, but I sure wish I could remember which Texas fan it was that told me that "Texas was going to show USC how a coaching search and hire is done right"!! That prediction has turned into an OD level epic fail!!