• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Kesler for Brandon Sutter trade finally happened

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is .. as ive said a couple times in this thread ... hes waiver eligible ... so hes either on the roster this fall or probably getting claimed by another team

By the dumpster diving Coyotes

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't start that dumpster on fire, Glendale doesn't have any firemen left to extinguish the blaze.

/But they still have a NHL hockey team.

I'm sure they have some replacement firemen to the rescue

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MG_6230.jpg

I thought the best coach in hockey wants a chance to tutor the young man, I'm afraid you are stuck with him BBB.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the best coach in hockey wants a chance to tutor the young man, I'm afraid you are stuck with him BBB.
If we're going by the Jack Adams Award, the current best coach in hockey coaches the Flames so I agree wholeheartedly!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're going by the Jack Adams Award, the current best coach in hockey coaches the Flames so I agree wholeheartedly!

:nono:

/If it doesn't work out in Toronto, you can always ship Dion to Edmonton and his wife can re-launch her career at West Edmonton Mall as a lifeguard at the waterpark.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nono:

/If it doesn't work out in Toronto, you can always ship Dion to Edmonton and his wife can re-launch her career at West Edmonton Mall as a lifeguard at the waterpark.

WENDY PEFFERCORN!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with this, my point is just that so far, he hasn't shown that he can be that type of player yet - and to say that he can jump into the top four right now is not that reasonable when you consider, as you mentioned, the glut of young defensemen they have and the fact that a team like Pittsburgh needs to win now and to put someone like that in a top four role is asking a lot(but I guess to put any of those young d-men in that spot would be asking for a lot)

The top four is definitely Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, and Cole right now. He'd be on the bottom pair with Lovejoy if he breaks camp with the team, which means he'd mostly have to beat out a hopefully-gone Scuderi, a still-young Dumoulin, and an unproven Andersen.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top four is definitely Letang, Maatta, Pouliot, and Cole right now. He'd be on the bottom pair with Lovejoy if he breaks camp with the team, which means he'd mostly have to beat out a hopefully-gone Scuderi, a still-young Dumoulin, and an unproven Andersen.

I know everyone wants to see Rob Scuderi go but I think they have to keep him for right now as an insurance policy - he's a veteran that is smart and can help the young d-men even if he's not playing as much or as effective - I think if the Penguins went about it the right way, they'd have him in the top seven and he and Adam Clendening would split playing time and then Brian Dumoulin would get consistent playing time in the AHL and if an injury happens, he can step right in

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone wants to see Rob Scuderi go but I think they have to keep him for right now as an insurance policy - he's a veteran that is smart and can help the young d-men even if he's not playing as much or as effective - I think if the Penguins went about it the right way, they'd have him in the top seven and he and Adam Clendening would split playing time and then Brian Dumoulin would get consistent playing time in the AHL and if an injury happens, he can step right in

That's kind of what I expect from them. Though, while I see the value of a veteran presence like Scuderi, he's just not valuable on the ice. He's lost almost all of his steps and just can't keep up with the game anymore, especially in Johnston's system. And since Scuderi's the only defenseman they have who doesn't fit, they might as well try to get rid of him.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's kind of what I expect from them. Though, while I see the value of a veteran presence like Scuderi, he's just not valuable on the ice. He's lost almost all of his steps and just can't keep up with the game anymore, especially in Johnston's system. And since Scuderi's the only defenseman they have who doesn't fit, they might as well try to get rid of him.

I'm sure there might be some third pairing type d-men in FA still so maybe they could trade Scuds and then sign someone else, but it's easier said than done

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
a usually Mr positive Lucky Pierre just said in the cesspool that Adam Clendenning isnt an everyday nhl'er :think:

said he has lateral movement and pivoting issues :noidea: ... yet Ive seen scouting reports that he is a smooth skater :noidea:

maybe poor Adam had the wrong Midget AAA coach. Pierre would know!

as you've mentioned, I don't see him as much of a loss as he had been passed on the depth chart and has to clear waivers. So if he isn't firmly within the top 6 (7?), he has very little value to us.

now I'm just scared of what this Sutter contract is going to look like.
I haven't seen too much of him over his career other than this

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That sounds reasonable in theory, but Scuderi is SO BAD right now. He just flat out hurts the team, he'd have to be the best locker room presence in the history of sports to counter his on-ice performance. If he's not traded, tha we can only hope that part of his performance last year was due to injury and he rebounds into a serviceable bottom pairing vet. But still not worth the money.

I haven't seen any Pens fans / analysts claim they expect Clendening to compete for a top 4. He's a prospect and maybe someone who can fill in when injury strikes, like Chorney last year in the post-season. But I'll admit to not knowing the ins and outs of waiver status - can the Pens assign him to WBS to start the season, or would he still have to go through waivers?

For years the Pens have refused to ride their young D, instead spending on FA and consequently having very little depth up front buyond the big guns. Finally, they've decided to go in the other direction, and this is the deepest and most balanced set of forwards the Pens have had in years. Will the young D have their growing pains? Yes. But they have the potential to develop into a young, skilled, cost-controlled crew, and that will really benefit the Pens over the next three, four years.

It sounds crazy to say, but JR seems to have the most cohesive plan I've seen in a long time from a Pens GM. Great off-season. If he can unload Scuderi / sign a reasonable top 4 guy, I'd say perfect. (Shedding Kunitz's contract for a decent return would be perfecter, but I'm at least willing to roll the dice on him another season.)

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I'll admit to not knowing the ins and outs of waiver status - can the Pens assign him to WBS to start the season, or would he still have to go through waivers?

Nope. If they want to send him down he needs to go on waivers

If he clears, he can be recalled at a later date without going through waivers again

I can see him getting a phantom injury at the end of camp ... He stays with the pens on the roster and then is sent down on a conditioning assignment which doesnt require waivers

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. If they want to send him down he needs to go on waivers

If he clears, he can be recalled at a later date without going through waivers again

I can see him getting a phantom injury at the end of camp ... He stays with the pens on the roster and then is sent down on a conditioning assignment which doesnt require waivers

Oh don't worry, once you join the Pens, there's no need for phantom injuries. Legit injuries are our MO.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bigger fan of Sutter than I am bonino so there's that....

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Penguins need help at wing, but trading Sutter was a mistake. He's a complete hockey player. I've seen plenty of Bonino as a Ducks fan & think he's a solid player, but I was surprised the Pens traded Sutter. Teams are always looking for Centers. Nice addition for the Canucks.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love him or hate him, Pierre is usually spot on with his analysis

I didn't get the craze for Adam Clendening when the Penguins traded for him, to me, I think those who believe he could step into PIT's top four right now is insane - he's barely even cracked the top six and even that is questionable

Clendening is merely a throw in and an asset. The biggest victory was moving salary of a guy who is woefully mediocre. Fehr/Bonino and salary saved is a win. Clendening is another asset and depth. The Pens are trying to dump Scuderi, they really are, and if that happens there's even more space.