• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rutgers and Maryland in talks to join B1G

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to the ACC. How do they cater to the basketball schools in football, though? What specifically pisses off the football programs?

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In regards to the ACC. How do they cater to the basketball schools in football, though? What specifically pisses off the football programs?

UNC and Duke have been calling the shots ever since the ACC expanded in 2003. If you remember it was Syracuse that was heading to the ACC before UVa and the Virginia governor intervened to get VT in the picture. VT had just finished in the top 5 two straight seasons, yet Swofford wanted Cuse over VT?!??!....basketball driven conference.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC shouldn't be that bad. I don't know if I really understand what makes them so unattractive as a conference. I know they don't have much BCS success, but why not just ride out the storm and keep trying to bring in the right coaches? There are great programs in the conference. The fans show up better than the Big East fans and probably the Pac 12 fans. Why aren't they a more solid conference, in other words, why the hell does everyone want to bail?

Since the rise of the SEC the ACC can't win the recruiting battle in their neighborhood.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC and Duke have been calling the shots ever since the ACC expanded in 2003. If you remember it was Syracuse that was heading to the ACC before UVa and the Virginia governor intervened to get VT in the picture. VT had just finished in the top 5 two straight seasons, yet Swofford wanted Cuse over VT?!??!....basketball driven conference.

Media rights are different for basketball than football too. The basketball programs get a better deal for their third tier rights. This is what pissed off FSU, because they're broke, and football is all they have to sell.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the rise of the SEC the ACC can't win the recruiting battle in their neighborhood.

They still have plenty of talent. This is what I don't understand. Aside from preferring basketball schools in conference expansion, what is the real drawback? Football still makes all the money. What shots are there to call in favor of basketball. Start winning BCS games, find some coaches that can create consistent systems and winning mentalities. Develop your players. Where is everyone going to go without crapping all over college football and turning it into Super Conference bullshit?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Maryland heat is real. They have been invited and will vote on it and accept it if they can get the buyout. This pretty much dooms VT to the B1G. It makes zero sense to me. If you want the DC market and VT gives you 45%, UMD 30% and UVA 15%, why go with Maryland considering the fact their sports programs suck.

Whatever, it is all legit now.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*sigh* I don't know. I don't understand anything about it. Are they expecting Penn State to get the boot? Or are we really looking at Syracuse as well?

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L:L:L:L

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fallout from this is going to be HUGE. The Big East is probably going to make a play for the basketball schools, FSU/Clemson will reach out to the Big12, but where does a Miami go? GT? Does VT really want to go to the B1G or the SEC?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is SOL, these sanctions and shit are coming at the worst possible time for them.

VT/GT may end up in B1G, but less likely if Maryland is there. They amy go SEC, I guess. I doubt either gets left out because of markets.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Maryland heat is real. They have been invited and will vote on it and accept it if they can get the buyout. This pretty much dooms VT to the B1G. It makes zero sense to me. If you want the DC market and VT gives you 45%, UMD 30% and UVA 15%, why go with Maryland considering the fact their sports programs suck.

Whatever, it is all legit now.

Maryland and Rutgers are AAU members....for some reason it means everything to the BigTen.