• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson's success rate on game winning/tying drives

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After today's loss I was curious to see what Russell's success rate was on drives where he needed a td or fg to win/tie the game.

Here's what I found

Week 1 @ Arizona (loss)
- 18 play 76 yards to get down to the Arizona 4 but couldn't score 6. Would have been a win if Braylon Edwards secures the pass on 4th down

Week 3 vs Green Bay (Win)
- Fail mary yes but still goes down as a successful gw drive.

Week 4 @ St. Louis (Loss)
- Seahawks were driving and looked like they had the Rams on their heels until an unfortunate bounce led to the game sealing interception.

Week 6 vs New England (Win)
- Who can forget that beautiful touchdown to Sydney to win the game. People forget but the Hawks were down 23-10. Russell came up huge in this game.

Week 7 @ San Fran (Loss)
- At this point in Russell's career I don't think anyone thought the Seahawks had a chance to drive 89 yards against the Niners defense with only 1:36 left on the clock

Week 13 @ Chicago (Win)
- THIS was the game where Russell Wilson evolved into our franchise qb. Russell actually led TWO game winning drives in this game. 12 plays 97 yards to take the lead late in the game with only 24 seconds left (before our defense gave up the fg) and then 12 plays 80 yards in OT to win it capped off by another gw catch by Rice

Week 17 vs St. Louis (Win)
- 10 plays 90 yards for the go ahead touchdown with 1:36 left in the game.

Week 1 @ Carolina (Win)
- Borderline game winning drive. 6 plays 74 yards including the big 43 yd td to Kearse. Earl gets the game ball for forcing Deangelo Williams to fumble in the red zone, but then after that Russell and the offense get first down after first down to drain the entire clock

Week 4 @ Houston (Win)
- 8 plays 42 yards in OT for the gw field goal

Week 5 @ Indy (Loss)
- Down 6 with 2 mins left needing a touchdown to win. Russell ends the game with 3 incompletions and an interception.

Week 9 vs Tampa Bay (Win)
- 10 plays 59 yard touchdown drive late in the 4th to tie it then 9 plays 51 yards for the gw field goal in OT.

Week 14 @ San Fran (Loss)
- To be fair Russell was only given 26 seconds to mount a drive so this one is hardly on Russell

Week 16 vs Arizona (Loss)
- After the Seahawks gave up the lead Russell had 2:16 to drive to win the game, but an unfortunate bounce leads to the interception that seals the game.

Week 2 @ San Diego (Loss)
- Ball with 3:04 left needing a td to win and we get a -6 run by Percy and 3 incompletions

Week 3 vs Denver (Win)
- 13 plays 80 yards to win it in OT with Russell accounting for 61 of the 80 yds

Week 6 vs Dallas (Loss)
- Ball with 1:09 left needing a TD and Russell throws an interception

Week 8 @ Carolina (Win)
- 8 plays 80 yards for the game winning touchdown to Luke Willson. Russell accounts for 69 of the 80 yards on the drive.

Week 11 @ Kansas City (Loss)
- Russell goes 1-5 on the potential game winning drive today.

So overall Russell has been 9-9 (9 for 18) on potential game winning or game tying drives. 5-2 on gw drives when at home and 4-7 on road.

There were two other games (Detroit 2012 and Atlanta 2012/2013 playoffs) where Russell led the game winning drive but the defense gave up the game.

What are your guy's thoughts on Russell and his abilities to lead a game winning drive. Before looking up the numbers I was confident in Russell but thought he was about a 50/50 type of guy when it came to these drives and the stats are exactly that.

I would say that I believe that Russell is capable of leading an 80 + yard drive to win it, but certainly do not have supreme confidence like I would if we had an Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, etc.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Unger had not been lost to injury the outcome of this game would likely had been different. Russell is real dangerous on final drives cause teams have to respect his ability to run. His ability to improvise when a play breaks down is unsurpassed. Unfortunately he appears to be forced into improvisation far too often.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very confident in Wilson as a closer.

I'd like to see how his closing #s match up with other QBs.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is not the problem.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is not the problem.

Totally agree, he has not looked great more than a few times this season but I will put on the line woes. I think seattle fans became ecstatic when they saw what he could do for this team. We have always had fair to good QB's but never a bonafied franchise QB. It makes such a difference.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with Wilson, let's face it, we got toput our faith in him, there is no one else on the roster I rather have QBing this team. For that matter not a lot of other QBs around the league I rather have. Sure there are some obvious ones, but compared to Cam Newton, Kaep, Tannahill, I would much rather have Wilson. Someone will bring up Luck, but there was never a chance the Seahawks could get him. Seahawks did good grabbing Wilson, there is no question about that in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm totally confident in Russ.... He always keeps a cool head and gives us a chance... I think right now more than anything we lack weapons in the passing game... It just is what it is...