• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson should not be extended this offseason

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we in such a rush to give him $120-$135M with $55M+ guaranteed?

I say let him play out the final year of his rookie deal. His value will not increase after next year and he did regress this year.

Yes, it's true that he would become an UFA after next year if not extended now, but his value will always be a lot greater to us than on the open market.

Don't get me wrong, I like Russ, but QB contracts are an albatross and he needs more evaluation.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is available and he's already got a big contract you can pick up.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, assuming for a moment that he did regress (which I would not agree with, but what the hell) then why wait for another full year to risk his taking another big step forward and end up costing you even more? Every year that the salary cap rises is another raise to every new contract as well. If he does great next year and the cap rises it's another several million a year for the life of that contract.

If they can afford to pay him and back load that thing enough to still put together a solid team for the year next season, they'd be fools not to do so.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I say let him play out the final year of his rookie deal. His value will not increase after next year and he did regress this year.

Yes, it's true that he would become an UFA after next year if not extended now, but his value will always be a lot greater to us than on the open market.

Don't get me wrong, I like Russ, but QB contracts are an albatross and he needs more evaluation.

Of course, by not extending him we could piss him off and he could decide to test the FA market, too.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Errrr....... no.

If Schneider were to try that he should be fired. Whether Wilson is truly elite or not, he would get top dollar on the open market.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, by not extending him we could piss him off and he could decide to test the FA market, too.

Well, apparently OP has a crystal ball that tells him that he wont hold as much value on the open market as he does here. Whatta joke.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, assuming for a moment that he did regress (which I would not agree with, but what the hell) then why wait for another full year to risk his taking another big step forward and end up costing you even more? Every year that the salary cap rises is another raise to every new contract as well. If he does great next year and the cap rises it's another several million a year for the life of that contract.

If they can afford to pay him and back load that thing enough to still put together a solid team for the year next season, they'd be fools not to do so.

I certainly understand that traditional logic and obviously Schneider is going to get the deal done now.

I just feel his financial value is overstated and want to see him play out his contract.

I'm not yet convinced his style is sustainable for the better part of such an extension.

Of course I realize this won't be a popular opinion, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. I know we all think of RW as a Ghandi-like saintly figure who wants not for self, but if we don't make a commitment to him when we have the chance then he may very well not commit to us when it's his turn after '15. He's a stud and will be a Seahawk for life if we're doing it right.

OP: just preposterous. I contend if you take him off this team then we're pretty much the Buffalo Bills -- strong D but can't win because we have no QB. People make excuses all the time for Luck because he has a weak supporting cast, but here are our 4 WRs yesterday: 2 UDFAs, a CFL "find" and a ST gunner. And he still got it done, well, got us in position to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I guess.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The rush to sign RW is for him and his agent not to sniff a chance of an opportunity at FA. QB's with RW's type of skill and talent don't fall off trees everyday which is why he needs to be locked up this offseason. I refuse to go back to the Stan Gelbaugh days because management decided to play russian roulette with RW and got burned.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously what kind of message would that send after you have done deals to guys like Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Baldwin before their free agent year and then wait on your QB.

But regardless I wont go there because he is getting a big deal this offseason. End of story.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. He was one play away from Super Bowl MVP and still put up a 110 rating even though his #1 target for the game some guy we pulled off the street. Yeah, we can find much better than him in the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You make good points, the team was built around the running game and DEF...RW is not worth $100 mil, but neither is Romo, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Kaep.

Yet he's got something that none of those QBs (except Flacco) have. This QB is perfectly suited for the Seahawks and is a big reason you guys were on the the threshold of repeating.

I think you have to go back and look at the pre-RW Hawks and consider that you could go back to the level without him.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is stupidity. He's the guy moving forward. Who the hell would put up the kind of #'s he did with all the injuries and lack of a threat at WR? Get him a weapon to work with and he'll be fine.

droider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously what kind of message would that send after you have done deals to guys like Chancellor, Thomas, Sherman, Baldwin before their free agent year and then wait on your QB.

But regardless I wont go there because he is getting a big deal this offseason. End of story.

Very fair point, can't argue with it. And I realize the deal will get done now.

I think the root of what I'm saying comes from a general feeling of concern that we've gotten ahead of ourselves with respect to spending.

The best part about Pete is that he instilled a culture of competition within player personnel. But I also want to see it be maintained.

I feel the windfall of financial moves we've been making is slowly affecting that culture. We had some issues this season where we were too confident and our play really suffered. Some players noticed that and spoke out.

I think we need to start handling extensions and their timing with more patience, and put more faith in the culture Pete has created where players won't even want to look outside the organization.

Is this being idealistic? Probably. But I think it's possible.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am resisting the urge to really berate the OP. What we are dealing with here is an over-reaction. Can ANYONE that is a Seahawks fan on this forum name me ONE Seahawks QB in history that has been better than Russ? Anyone?

The man has some faults but the end product that the man brings to the table justifies whatever contract that Schneider and Carroll present him.

:gaah:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are so many teams looking for a good QB that I doubt that this is true. As someone else said, good QB's don't grow on trees. Wilson has more than earned his place in Seattle. He should be a Seahawk for life. He's one of my favorite non-Niners. He's one of the good guys in the league and he deserves a big, big contract.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has led the team to 3 straight playoff appearances and 2 Super Bowls. Yah his defense is great, but it's not like he's just handing off 100% of the time. Guy is an extremely hard worker and has played very well with a VERY MEDIOCRE wide receiver group which consists of a good slot receiver in Baldwin and then just crap everywhere else. The only weapon he has on offense is Lynch who is not even a receiving type back.

Gotta pay him and Seattle will.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think opposing GMs would love it if we took this approach, which probably means it's not the right approach to take. If you hesitate and don't try to extend him this offseason when you don't have competition for his services, you risk not being able to sign him once that competition is allowed. If he then signs with a conference or division rival who has the money and the need for a franchise quarterback, then not only have you allowed him to get away when you could have prevented it, but you've allowed him to get away to a team that you've been competing with for a division/conference championship. I don't think the Seahawks can or will take that risk.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think opposing GMs would love it if we took this approach, which probably means it's not the right approach to take. If you hesitate and don't try to extend him this offseason when you don't have competition for his services, you risk not being able to sign him once that competition is allowed. If he then signs with a conference or division rival who has the money and the need for a franchise quarterback, then not only have you allowed him to get away when you could have prevented it, but you've allowed him to get away to a team that you've been competing with for a division/conference championship. I don't think the Seahawks can or will take that risk.

And then you would wind up with Tarvaris Jackson or a rookie or a veteran retread as your QB. It would be pure insanity to risk losing Wilson in free agency.