• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson benched

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really odd they are just waiving him and not trying to trade him in the offseason for some picks.
No one would trade for Russ and that contract. Plus, everyone knows Denver doesn’t want him and he will eventually be waived.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with the notion Russ has been benched due the his contract as the biggest factor ...

By all accounts, the Broncos approached Russ about his contract back in October and advised that he could be benched if he did not opt of of the injury settlement .. So yes, there is that, however, when the team got on a roll and started winning, Russ remained the starter ..

So as long as the team was winning, Russ was our starter ... Had the Broncos rolled into Week 17 with a 9-6 or 10-5 record atop the West, Russ would still be in there as the starter ..

It is obvious that Russ just doesn't fit what Sean Payton wants .. Even if this was Russell Wilson of 2013, he's not a good fit for what Sean Payton has envisioned for his offense .. It was obvious when we signed Stidham that Russ wasn't the type of QB Payton wants

Has Russ ever really excelled at the crossing routes or deep posts, or other routes that require precision and timing and patience ?? .. I don;t think he was ever that type of QB and he certainly isn;t that now ... He's not a "between the hash marks" type of QB, and never really was ..

There were the comments from Payton early on about simplifying the offense and having Russ wear a wrist band, etc etc ... None of that was very encouraging ....

Russ' abilities in Seattle were moving from the pocket and creating plays, which, to me, is pretty much the antithesis of Sean Payton's precision offense that run like the Vienna Philharmonic ...

I think most of us can agree that Russ is a good guy, and he might have something remaining in the tank - he certainly showed he can still perform on an NFL field at times .... But at this point in his career, he is a lousy fit for a Sean Payton offense - whether he is making vet minimum or 30 some million a year .....

If the team was winning, Russ would be starting this Sunday, injury clause or not ...

I agree with this. Winning renders all of this irrelevant. Except it's also worth noting the Broncos dispute the narrative they threatened to bench Russ if he didn't agree to remove the injury clauses from his contract. Klis released that story and he's the team's go-to for "outside" the organization narratives the organization wants released. His take is they approached and he balked, and that was that for the time being. Coinciding with the team going on a streak it became less relevant.

Did they threaten to bench him or not? I don't know nor do I care. I do not get into the business end of the NFL. All I care about is the team's performance on the field.

Going into that game with the Texans the Broncos had been riding an improbable streak powered by a defense that suddenly learned how to create turnovers. They gutted out some close Tebow-style wins along the way. And contributed to those wins by taking care of the ball and leading a couple late game drives to secure the win.

As a fan I don't get picky about how wins come, especially since lately for the Broncos there just haven't been that many of them. But it's fair to say when you have a $242 million QB whose defense generated 4 turnovers in a game and you still win by 1 point, your QB may not be living up to his contract.

The proof came in that Texans game. The defense didn't generate the turnovers but they did play well enough to win that game. Russ threw the three interceptions including the game-sealing one. If nothing else, he is getting paid to not make that mistake.

I think that game has damaged the psyche of this team. They just have not looked the same since. Sure they bounced back and trounced a dysfunctional Chargers team. And you can argue that going against a really good Lions team on the road on a short week, wrapping up 3 straight road trips...You can make that excuse for the Broncos if you want to. IF they had looked competent against the Lions. But they didn't so I'm not really willing to chalk that up to fatigue. I'll just say the Lions are a good team that got it right that night.

Wins against the Texans and Patriots might see this team in a completely different place at this phase. Russ would still be the starter and they would likely be approaching him about revamping his contract in the off season.

But it's fair to say Payton has seen all he needs to see. The rest of 2023 will be Stidham's opportunity to make his case. Best case scenario they win both remaining and have all the improbable chips fall into place to make the playoffs and extend Stidham's "tryout." At least then there may be some chance the team has at least a viable bridge option in 2024.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that is on the less than stellar play of the other skill guys....like Jeudy. Talented sure....but he has had his share of drops. At least in games I have seen this season.

Sutton has played well....
Russ has also missed a wide open Jeudy that would have won games for us. His vision of the field is lacking. I like Wilson from all perceived standpoints as a person, but he is older and definitely slower. He also seems to lack the “it” factor when it comes to leadership. Most of his game seems to be checkdowns. Now, that is not entirely his fault, but it does lean towards his vision being lacking on a lot of plays. Our O line is suspect when it comes to pass protection from my viewpoint, however pundits have placed a lot of at blame on Russ for whatever reasons.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's good to know - we don't read comments in your threads either.

Oh. Don't take it personal. I have just been busy and feel like the Russ talk is a broken record. Haven't had much time to post on here during the Holidays.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russ has also missed a wide open Jeudy that would have won games for us. His vision of the field is lacking. I like Wilson from all perceived standpoints as a person, but he is older and definitely slower. He also seems to lack the “it” factor when it comes to leadership. Most of his game seems to be checkdowns. Now, that is not entirely his fault, but it does lean towards his vision being lacking on a lot of plays. Our O line is suspect when it comes to pass protection from my viewpoint, however pundits have placed a lot of at blame on Russ for whatever reasons.
Misses happen.....to every QB.

Let me know how many drops Jeudy has had.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right and right

I think the issue with Wilson is when it is pinpointed that he is missing wide open WR's is at crucial game winning moments of the game dating back to last year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. Don't take it personal. I have just been busy and feel like the Russ talk is a broken record. Haven't had much time to post on here during the Holidays.
OK - so, you're saying - it's all about you. ;)

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wilson plays good next year we could be off the hook for a good part of the last part of the contract .. so hopefully he wins the SB next year then tanks for all I care..

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one would trade for Russ and that contract. Plus, everyone knows Denver doesn’t want him and he will eventually be waived.
If he playes well next year they will have to pay him and we will be then not as bad off .

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Too many. And I am not a huge Jeudy fan, especially where we drafted him. None of that negates Wilson”s lack of vision however. He is unfortunately one of the highest paid players in the league and the supposed leader of the team. He“s supposed to make these plays, especially at his position. I don’t blame him at all on a personal level, he’s just not worth the money he is paid. We were stupid for letting our desperation for finding a franchise qb cloud whatever evaluation process they undertook. I believe the stink from this trade and contract extension will end George Paton”s time in Denver too.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he playes well next year they will have to pay him and we will be then not as bad off .
Wilson will not be playing for us next year. Payton has already made up his mind that Wilson is not the guy for his offense

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,586.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If y'all decide to start Stidham next season I don't think he will be bad enough to draft a top QB in '25. Unless, they let a lot of FA's walk and just totally tank.

But, if the defense plays like it did after they started getting better....I think 7-10 or 8-9 is most likely. He isn't a franchise QB OBVIOUSLY but he isn't a bad stopgap guy for 1 season.

So....in that sense letting RW go isn't horrible....you just gotta get through next season since you should be fine in '25. As far as free of RW cash.

Last edited:

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win our last two with Stidham... Miracles happen and we get to the playoffs. Stidham gets hurt. Wilson comes in. We win the Super Bowl.

jk

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these stupid quarterback contracts just have to end. There are some great quarterbacks in the NFL, but none are worth twice the money as any other player on the team. I mean, somehow, these owners have found a way to stop the spending on running backs, this pay scale for anyone playing the positions just flat out blows. I really thought the league was moving towards making one contract exempt to the cap since the spending has gotten so stupid.