• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumour - it's the Ostrich

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for Kap to play. He brings a new dimension to the offense. They seemed to be more energized against the bears with Kap playing. He makes them more explosive. He is a high risk high reward for now. I would say Alex is low risk low reward.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More thoughts from Twitter. Sando.

@espn_nfcwest: 49ers' QB move strikes me as type of thing a coach doesn't do unless he knows he's right. What has Harbaugh gotten wrong so far?

@espn_nfcwest: Just have a hard time believing Harbaugh would get so much right and then just whiff on the most important thing. Really fascinated by this.

@espn_nfcwest: Funny that people said Harbaugh was crazy when he endorsed Alex Smith, and now some think he's crazy if he goes away from Smith.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From me.

I'm sure Roman had input as well. I don't think Harbs made this decision in a vacuum.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It was now or never (well never this season) if you were going to start CK. We need to get CK as prepared as possible for the playoffs so getting him as much in game experience is essential.

To me it's actually a good thing to go in there and start him against the Saint's. It's a great opportunity for him to get experience in playing at a difficult venue against a team that will try to confuse him defensively and with an offense that's going to put the pressure on him to keep pace. Same with having to play the Patriots which we could see in the SB, playing at Seattle another difficult place to play against a division rival.

It's better for him to go through these bumps in the regular season then in the playoffs so the more fire we can throw his way the better. If he's a superstar in the making then all these situations should only serve to make him an even stronger and better player.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mort on Mike & Mike this morning had a few points:

1) Alex is not cleared to play yet. Can't assume he will be.

2) Super Bowl is in New Orleans. Could be a little experience for Kap in a loud raucous stadium we might see again in Feb.

3) The Niners aren't a QB driven team. Less risk than other teams to take a chance at QB given all the talent we have.

He had some other stuff but I was distracted by the smell of turkey in the oven.....

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great choice by Harbs, Chryst, and Roman.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very surprised by this. It was pretty clear I guess from Harbaugh's comments the past year or so that he preferred Kaepernick, I just didn't think he''d throw Smith under the bus this quickly.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could always angle for that Smith needs more time to recover from his concussion.

Thus Kap it is... I'm excited for this but definitely know the immediate consequences that will ensue whether or not Kap does well.

It's not like the philosphy of the offense is going to change, just the ability to stretch the field.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm very surprised by this. It was pretty clear I guess from Harbaugh's comments the past year or so that he preferred Kaepernick, I just didn't think he''d throw Smith under the bus this quickly.

I wasn't surprised by it because Harbaugh has a single minded focus on winning and he's going to play who he feels gives him the best chance at doing that.

I don't really consider it throwing Smith under the bus because I actually do believe Harbaugh believes what he says about Alex Smith. I don't think it's a case that Harbaugh has lost faith or confidence in Alex but that CK can do everything Alex can do but better.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If you can't be happy for your teammate's success you're playing the wrong sport. Go play tennis or golf or something," Smith said Wednesday. "That's ridiculous, I think. That doesn't belong in team sports, in my opinion. It's the quarterback position. It gets a lot of attention. We're going to get talked about."

from Alex... good sportsmanship.

of course no set starter has been made.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from Alex... good sportsmanship.

of course no set starter has been made.

Alex is a really good guy, who has had to put up with Nolan, Singletary, etc., any discussion of his limitations aside, he's handled all of this with grace and maturity I never had when I was his age. I'm excited about CK but I have a great deal of respect for Smith.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I was surprised too, only because QB changes this late don't happen often. But I'm not sure this is a permanent decision. Smith not being cleared is key.

Throwing Smith under the bus isn't what I would call it. Smith hasn't played poorly, and Harbaugh hasn't suggested it. I believe him when he says they have two quarterbacks they are confident in, because he has reason to be. Kaep playing this week just makes sense, for a number of reasons.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are all really true. Then i think harbaugh might be using this as an extra audition for kap. Give him the full week a practice reps with the saints game planning for him on the road in a loud environment.

If kap succeeds then he keeps going. If kap falters then smith who most likely wasn't cleared early enough probably will be next week and he can go back to smith.

Either way in Harbs I trust.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Each week is a different scenario. There was a little element of surprise having Kaep named the starter, the day of the game.

Kaep's ceiling is way higher than Alex's, no one is disputing that. With 100% of the practice snaps, he should be much more prepared. Conversely, the defense will be more prepared for him, too.

I want Kaepernick to ultimately be the starting QB for the niners. The offense is electric with him running the offense.

What's concerning to me is the steep learning curve for new QBs in the NFL and if this is the right time to test that.

when will be the right time? we need to put the best players on the field. its only been one game but kap didn't look like he was making his first start.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors are all really true. Then i think harbaugh might be using this as an extra audition for kap. Give him the full week a practice reps with the saints game planning for him on the road in a loud environment.

If kap succeeds then he keeps going. If kap falters then smith who most likely wasn't cleared early enough probably will be next week and he can go back to smith.

Either way in Harbs I trust.

its the best way to go about it. from what i seen against the bears, smith is gonna be holding a clipboard the rest of the year.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when will be the right time? we need to put the best players on the field. its only been one game but kap didn't look like he was making his first start.

Usually the time to evaluate for the future is when your team is struggling and youre trying to find answers.

I agree Kaep looked very prepared, and no one expected him to look this good.

Lightyear49er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always supported Alex (and been bashed for it many times) but I completely understand and agree with this move. Kaep can make throws that Alex just can't. And I understand that the Bears didn't play well last week and they weren't prepared for a "throwing" Kaep but that still doesn't excuse how he handled the ball. He threw when Alex wouldn't have. He made decisions that Alex wouldn't have. And damn, the man has an ARM! I bet Vernon Davis won't be arguing with the change. :drum:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If/when Alex Smith goes to play for another team, I think a lot of people will realize that Harbaugh/Roman made him.