• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumour - it's the Ostrich

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
general comment on the 'downfield' passing game: it is great as long as the pass plays work. if it doesn't work, that is a quick three and out.

we used to see this a LOT with June Jones, when it is working....FANTASTIC....but when it isn't, your defense suffers.

I have confidence that no matter the strength of CKs downfield vision and arm, we will not see a June Jones offense out of the 49ers as long as Harbaugh is the coach, unless hell has frozen over, or Harbaugh has a stroke that wipes out his memory.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have confidence that no matter the strength of CKs downfield vision and arm, we will not see a June Jones offense out of the 49ers as long as Harbaugh is the coach, unless hell has frozen over, or Harbaugh has a stroke that wipes out his memory.

yes, no way Harbaugh goes near the June Jones level. Jones is a bad example but a name that everyone recognizes.

let me tweak my general comment to passing period. fans equate passing with explosiveness, and demand that from our offense. yes, I wish we had more ability in the downfield area too.

but even if that area improves with Kaep, we still shouldn't call many more 'downfield' passing plays. those will still be low percentage plays. if we currently average three per game, i'd think AVERAGING three more is about right? of course there will be differences due to game conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yes, no way Harbaugh goes near the June Jones level. Jones is a bad example but a name that everyone recognizes.

let me tweak my general comment to passing period. fans equate passing with explosiveness, and demand that from our offense. yes, I wish we had more ability in the downfield area too.

but even if that area improves with Kaep, we still shouldn't call many more 'downfield' passing plays. those will still be low percentage plays. if we currently average three per game, i'd think AVERAGING three more is about right? of course there will be differences due to game conditions.

Harbaugh is going to exploit weaknesses and take what the defense gives us.

If the defense loads up the box to stop the run we'll pass over them and if they are on their heels to stop the pass we'll pound them with the run.

That's why if CK can throw like he did against Chicago we become an extremely difficult offense to defend because we would have the ability to torch a defense on the ground and through the air. And that's not adding the fact we throw several formations at defenses to further make it a task to try to figure out what we're doing.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you bet that CK starts and Harbaugh/Roman run the ball 15 straight times, just to keep them off balance?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Pound on their front seven and play keep away with the saints offense

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Harbaugh is going to exploit weaknesses and take what the defense gives us.

If the defense loads up the box to stop the run we'll pass over them and if they are on their heels to stop the pass we'll pound them with the run.

That's why if CK can throw like he did against Chicago we become an extremely difficult offense to defend because we would have the ability to torch a defense on the ground and through the air. And that's not adding the fact we throw several formations at defenses to further make it a task to try to figure out what we're doing.

yeah, ok.

i've always been a proponent of offensive balance. the trend has changed to the pass and a little bit that way is fine, but IMO the goal should be balance.

when you have better balance, then you can better exploit defenses.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, ok.

i've always been a proponent of offensive balance. the trend has changed to the pass and a little bit that way is fine, but IMO the goal should be balance.

Completely agree, did you notice the play action passes against the Bears? I'm looking forward to more of the same.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can guarantee that CK throws a ton this game vs the Saints.

NFL Stats: by Team Category

Mark him down for a 400 yard game!

for me, not so sure? if we fall behind early (via turnovers), then we'll start to pass more. but otherwise i'd think we'll do what we usually do - establish the run?

not three runs and a cloud of dust, but enough to make the defense play it.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll see the same play calls but instead of sacks or check downs kaep will be looking to make plays downfield or make plays w/ his legs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not making a case to start Alex or to tell anyone to feel bad for him, just posting for the compilation of quotes throughout the year.

Harbaugh's Prior Support for Smith

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yeah, ok.

I don't think we're going to bomb it all game anytime soon but we're not going to run the ball into a brick wall for the sake of balance either.

It's a case if a boxer blocks low then you hit high and if he blocks high you hit low.

Balance will just come naturally because if the defense focuses on stopping the run then we pass, force them to back off, and then hit them with the run.

If they focus on the pass we'll pound them with the run, force them up, then hit them for big pass plays.

It's more about striving to keep the defense off balance then to be balanced.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we're going to bomb it all game anytime soon but we're not going to run the ball into a brick wall for the sake of balance either.

It's a case if a boxer blocks low then you hit high and if he blocks high you hit low.

Balance will just come naturally because if the defense focuses on stopping the run then we pass, force them to back off, and then hit them with the run.

If they focus on the pass we'll pound them with the run, force them up, then hit them for big pass plays.

It's more about striving to keep the defense off balance then to be balanced.

yeah, you adjust in-game depending on whats working, and what isn't. but you have to start somewhere and we typically lean run.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is starting?? With everything being said I have a weird feeling Smith will be starting if medically cleared

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who is starting?? With everything being said I have a weird feeling Smith will be starting if medically cleared

I get that feeling too and Kinzu said that's what he thought was happening. He's a fan of Smith's, too so I thought that might just be him and me. But then, since you've shown interest in Kaep and have no certainty in who starts, this clearly is working. Now, if only it could work on the Saints.

I've been so against the media after Harbaugh brainwashed me that I want him to start Smith, have them go crazy, and then put in Kaep for a series, back to Smith for a series, and finish out all the rest of the series with Kaep. Then, against the Rams, a game we'd likely win, start Kaep and do the reverse. Then, go with the real starter against the Patriots.

Not saying he should do this, I'm not that crazy, but it would be fun to see the media react to that. If I could control what happens, I would wish that Smith starts, scores a TD, and Kaep plays the rest of the way like he did against the Bears. The reason? Because Harbaugh or Roman said sometime in the beginning of the year that in some situations, who starts doesn't matter, it's a team thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah some of the stuff coming out this week just seems odd. So many conflicting reports seemingly pointing to Kaep, but yet you can't get any of the coaches to outright say it.

I'm actually all for Kaep playing though because the team needs to see how he does against more blitz packages and zone coverages. It also helps that this will be a road game in a very loud stadium.

Even if Kaep plays well though I still think Smith should be the starter next weekend against the Rams. Though if he has another game like he did against the Bears I suspect he will keep being the starter. I wouldn't count on a game like that though. I'm a bit afraid this Saint game will show some of the flaws in Kaep's current game. The thing is no matter what happens if he starts it helps the team. It's the middle of the season and we have the luxury of seeing what our backup QB can do in the event Alex goes down again and misses the playoffs. This is also a great audition for Kaep going into next year, and like I said if he lights it up again next year may be now for him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of off topic, but I hate the term "according to team sources." It bugs me for two reasons. First, it can be abused by journalists who even if wrong, can hide behind it. Second, it doesn't make sense that a team source would tell someone the truth when they don't want to announce something. What benefit do they have except deception? People should either stop leaking information or those sources should be identified. Do we have a bunch of people on the team who can't keep their mouth shut? And if "team sources" just mean people near the team or assigned to report on the team, then it really isn't a team source. Are they talking to the janitors or Donte Whitner or Harbaugh?

Harbaugh would not tell people that it was "not due to health reasons." What benefit would there be to that if he isn't going to name a starter because of competitive advantage? Kaep knows whether Smith is healthy or not (or at least if he's cleared) and if he starts when Smith is healthy, he's knows if it's not due to health. So there is no benefit in saying that it isn't due to health, because the only person that could benefit by having such a vote of confidence, is Kaep.

Sometimes I think "team sources" really means, the best guess I have + believe me, please!

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah some of the stuff coming out this week just seems odd. So many conflicting reports seemingly pointing to Kaep, but yet you can't get any of the coaches to outright say it.

I'm actually all for Kaep playing though because the team needs to see how he does against more blitz packages and zone coverages. It also helps that this will be a road game in a very loud stadium.

Even if Kaep plays well though I still think Smith should be the starter next weekend against the Rams. Though if he has another game like he did against the Bears I suspect he will keep being the starter. I wouldn't count on a game like that though. I'm a bit afraid this Saint game will show some of the flaws in Kaep's current game. The thing is no matter what happens if he starts it helps the team. It's the middle of the season and we have the luxury of seeing what our backup QB can do in the event Alex goes down again and misses the playoffs. This is also a great audition for Kaep going into next year, and like I said if he lights it up again next year may be now for him.

I hope Kap starts against the Rams. I will be at that game and really want to see him play