• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumour - it's the Ostrich

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The original report I didn't like because it seems that it couldn't be the complete story. I know you have to work with what you've got and you're not told everything, but there wasn't any qualifications to what he reported, which likely are there. The clarification makes sense because why give Smith the first team reps if he may not be healthy? Why give Smith the first team reps if Kaep is to start? They shouldn't get stuck like they did last week (despite it seemingly not hurting that much).

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've said this already, but the Bears had very little film on CK throwing the football. That along with the great OL protection, play calling, and the Bear's Defense simply not playing at their highest level all contributed to the Monday Night game as well.

It's not like Alex can't throw the deep ball because he can. I just worry ab out the decision making of CK. I hope CK is as good as most people believe because i absolutely hope he is. I just have my doubt until he can prove it on a consistent basis. We will find out. Luckily the Saints Defense sucks.

I agree 100% that the Bears had no film, and were caught completely unaware of what CK was capable of... so, it made things easier for CK. I think they expected the WildKap... and were ambushed by a guy who could read their blitzes and audible to the corresponding plays to beat their blitz. They weren't prepared for a guy who could have had around 350 yards passing and 4 TDs (if he didn't overthrow a few passes)

Anyway, no what ifs or maybes... the 49ers offense scored on their first 4 or 5 possessions against the #2 defense... regardless of the why... this possibility deserves a 2nd look against a team with a shit defense and an offense that can drop 40 points without a lot of effort at home.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha!! SI & ESPN having a twitter war

Jim Trotter‏@SI_JimTrotter

"i have great respect for @tdespn and alex smith, and stand behind my report. harbaugh to alex: "I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry."

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:( I don't like it, but i hope CK is the guy who we are hoping for. As a 9er fan i am rooting for him. I just don't think it's the right choice as it stands.

Same boat. I have nothing but praise for Kaep, dude was amazing and the future is bright. I would just prefer stability at QB given this week's scenario.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am NOT wishing for further injury to Smith, BUT if they did decide to start Kaep, I hope that Alex isn't cleared by Sunday. Then, if Kaep struggles too much (given the circumstances I wouldn't blame him), they could go back to Smith (have to stick with Kaep for the entire Saints game, of course), claiming the medical issue and this doesn't blame Kaep - it just acknowledges inexperience. If Kaep balls out against a confusing defense (though not very good), then you have more film to work with, he is more prepared for facing the Rams again and so forth, you avoid the true controversy for another week, and can say saying "look!!!"

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree MHSL82, my hope is that this is a decision based on Smith not being cleared to play yet. I think this would avoid some potential locker room divisions. As well as Kaep played there is a lot of head scratching from Peter King, John Clayton and others about benching Smith if he's healthy for someone with one NFL start, as good as it was.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Trotter‏@SI_JimTrotter

"i have great respect for @tdespn and alex smith, and stand behind my report. harbaugh to alex: "I'm going with Kaepernick. Alex, I'm sorry."

I believe Smith and ESPN more than Jim Trotter because it makes more sense. I feel that Trotter's report reeks of "I reported it first" (on a thing that has to go one way or another, like a 50/50 - not saying that's the likelihood). It sounds sensational, like Trotter has a stake in it, excited (can't blame him). Level-headed journalism, like Dilfer's analysis so far, pro and cons. Maybe I just don't know Trotter that well, but I'd think that Harbaugh would not shut the door until he needs to, and who would tell Trotter?

I must add that Trotter wouldn't likely make stuff up for no reason, he does have a reputation to uphold, but this is something so uncertain that no one could call him on it if he did make it up and it could be right.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Sando wrote a recent blog post, and in it he says that the ESPN story makes more sense, why limit their options unnecessarily when Smith hasn't been cleared to return yet? Let Kaep get the 1st team reps because Smith may not be cleared to play, then see what happens.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Smith and ESPN more than Jim Trotter because it makes more sense. I feel that Trotter's report reeks of "I reported it first" (on a thing that has to go one way or another, like a 50/50 - not saying that's the likelihood). It sounds sensational, like Trotter has a stake in it, excited (can't blame him). Level-headed journalism, like Dilfer's analysis so far, pro and cons. Maybe I just don't know Trotter that well, but I'd think that Harbaugh would not shut the door until he needs to, and who would tell Trotter?

I must add that Trotter wouldn't likely make stuff up for no reason, he does have a reputation to uphold, but this is something so uncertain that no one could call him on it if he did make it up and it could be right.

Wouldn't surprise me at all

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How does the flirtation with Manning and the reluctance to sign Alex in the offseason affect everyone's take on the current QB situation and vice versa?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree MHSL82, my hope is that this is a decision based on Smith not being cleared to play yet. I think this would avoid some potential locker room divisions. As well as Kaep played there is a lot of head scratching from Peter King, John Clayton and others about benching Smith if he's healthy for someone with one NFL start, as good as it was.

I wouldn't worry about locker room divisions. The team leaders... Gore, VD, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis... they are all on record and have said time and time again that they support and believe in Alex Smith... there is no division created by saying Kaepernick does it better.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Gregg Rosental on Twitter

@greggrosenthal: Harbaugh has done such a great coaching job that people are actually outraged he's benching Alex Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't worry about locker room divisions. The team leaders... Gore, VD, Justin Smith, Patrick Willis... they are all on record and have said time and time again that they support and believe in Alex Smith... there is no division created by saying Kaepernick does it better.

The only locker room division I could see would be if the lockerroom didn't know who to go to and saw that the coach didn't know either. Harbaugh may not have a crystal ball, but he's not Singletary.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Gregg Rosental on Twitter

@greggrosenthal: Harbaugh has done such a great coaching job that people are actually outraged he's benching Alex Smith.

That shitbag Rosenthal picked the 49ers to fail this year... so, I can't say that I'm surprised when that know-nothing-hack tries to say there is "outrage" because the 49ers and Harbaugh try to see if Kaepernick makes them even better...

Fucking sports writers... scum of the earth

To add to this*
This fucker picked the Seahawks to run away with the West; uncontested by the good luck chuck 49ers of 2011... 9 weeks in, he is clearly wrong after the 49ers beat his Seahawks and stand atop of the NFC West... now in a last ditch effort to prove he isn't know-nothing fuckstick, he is trying to create "outrage" and "strife" where the majority says give Kaepernick another game.

Like I said, scum of the earth... sports writers

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does the flirtation with Manning and the reluctance to sign Alex in the offseason affect everyone's take on the current QB situation and vice versa?

For me, I see those two things (flirting/reluctance) as being mutually inclusive - As for how they affect my take on the current situation, I think the presumed move to Kap confirms what many have known about Smith for a long, long time - good guy - not a good enough QB.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matthew Berry appears to be a CK fan. Granted it's a FFB perspective.

@MatthewBerryTMR: Because I believe strongly in CK RT @NicholasDiehl: @MatthewBerryTMR then why rank CK at 8 above Stafford at 15?

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that certainly makes me feel stupid.... I thought Rosenthal was just covering his preseason predictions, but, shock me like a 1940s murderer in an electric chair, 49ers fans with twitter don't like the change.

I can't believe it... CK was electrifying while Smith was often stagnant

I suspect it's more about the risk of changing so deep in the season with a single data point. Also, I think many folks have some loyalty to Smith based on all he's been through and the fact he's handled himself with class through thick and thin.

Before this was happening I was wanting Smith's headache to hang around another week or two and then make a decision. I knew that was a pipe dream but I didn't expect this either.

Like I said in earlier posts, this will likely be a very memorable season. Whether the memories will be good or bad is still the unknown. I guess we will know a lot more in four days.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you not believe Trotter in this case? Harbaugh gave CK7 first team reps, that means barring a complete implosion, Kaep is the starter. This whole idea that CK7 is getting first team reps but the starting spot is still open doesn't even make sense.