• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumour - it's the Ostrich

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhhh... that Jim Trotter. I just read that Jim Trotter was the one who wrote the article about Alex losing his confidence and Alex blasted him on one of his interviews since it pissed him off. Not that this has any relation to the truth of who the starter is, but this guy is the real gobble gobble turkey.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safe bet is to go with Alex, because we know he can be pretty good under Harbaugh and Roman's guidance. I mean, when Alex is on under them... he is amazing... the problem is that he isn't willing to take any risks. The missteps of the 49ers previous coaching staffs have handicapped Alex... he'll never pull the trigger on a tough throw because of the "We want Carr" chants... and that limits the offense. He'll take the sack and punt it... not good.

CK doesn't have that 600 lb gorilla hanging over him, and we saw that Monday night when he zipped it to VD through triple coverage for an 18 yard gain on 3rd and 19?? was it?? Thats something Alex can't do as effortlessly because his arm strength isn't as strong... and on top of that he won't do because he knows that there is zero tolerance from 49ers fans for his interceptions.... triple coverage leads to INTs.

Little things like that, it just makes me lean towards CK. He has the arm and confidence to make those throws... where Smith on his best has the arm, but he doesn't have the confidence.

Ehhhh...

...let's not go there just quite yet.

I like the rest of the post, though.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you not believe Trotter in this case? Harbaugh gave CK7 first team reps, that means barring a complete implosion, Kaep is the starter. This whole idea that CK7 is getting first team reps but the starting spot is still open doesn't even make sense.

Yes, I will leave the idea opened that Alex Smith can be prepared on a few days reps, where as CK stands to benefit from a lot of practice in case he gets the starting nod.

Regarding the bolded...that's exactly what happened last week albeit dealing with an injury. Alex got most of the first team reps mid week and Kaep got Friday and Saturday.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I will leave the idea opened that Alex Smith can be prepared on a few days reps, where as CK stands to benefit from a lot of practice in case he gets the starting nod.

Regarding the bolded...that's exactly what happened last week albeit dealing with an injury. Alex got most of the first team reps mid week and Kaep got Friday and Saturday.

Alex was never cleared for contact and Harbaugh said that Kaep took at least 50% of the reps.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've said this already, but the Bears had very little film on CK throwing the football. That along with the great OL protection, play calling, and the Bear's Defense simply not playing at their highest level all contributed to the Monday Night game as well.

It's not like Alex can't throw the deep ball because he can. I just worry ab out the decision making of CK. I hope CK is as good as most people believe because i absolutely hope he is. I just have my doubt until he can prove it on a consistent basis. We will find out. Luckily the Saints Defense sucks.

Because watching Smith fail to convert a 3rd down is GOOD decision making?

It's like asking if you'd rather have Bledsoe or Brady. Except Smith isn't Bledsoe. Kaep might not be Brady, but Smith isn't even Bledsoe.

??? Very confused as to why people think Smith isn't benchable.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhhh...

...let's not go there just quite yet.

I like the rest of the post, though.

Don't be a hater dick, every negative aside... what Alex did against the Saints was amazing (his peak)... the problem is he can't string that potential together from week to week.

Can CK do that?? I dunno, but I want to find out.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be a hater dick, every negative aside... what Alex did against the Saints was amazing (his peak)... the problem is he can't string that potential together from week to week.

Amazing isn't what I would describe Smith as a QB, sorry.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So Kaep went with 30% of the reps? And then did THAT to a top 5 defense?

Wow. Imagine what he would do if he had 100% of the reps.

We've seen Smith with 100% of the reps. What did he do against top 5 defenses?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not being a hater, dick.

Smith played well against the Saints. But that comeback shouldn't have been necessary with what the defense handed him.

Can CK do what Smith did in that game? Maybe. We don't know. Could Smith do what Kaepernick did against the Bears? Maybe. But I highly doubt it.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing isn't what I would describe Smith as a QB, sorry.

Smith is below average. His numbers speak for themselves.

70% Completion percentage. WOW!!!!!!!

Bottom three in all relevant stats last year. He has 1700 yards through 9 games this year. If you can't throw for at least 4000 yards, you're not the answer in this league.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a hater, dick.

Smith played well against the Saints. But that comeback shouldn't have been necessary with what the defense handed him.

Can CK do what Smith did in that game? Maybe. We don't know. Could Smith do what Kaepernick did against the Bears? Maybe. But I highly doubt it.

What Smith did there..annoys the fuck out of me.

Because typical Smith, he answered that with... fuck you I'm never throwing the ball against the Giants.

To add to this: Smith won't even throw it to VD if he has trailing coverage.

I'm so ready for Kaep, because like I said, he'll throw it into triple coverage to his best receiver... VD

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex was never cleared for contact and Harbaugh said that Kaep took at least 50% of the reps.

I could be wrong (and often am) but I've read that it wasn't until Friday that there was a distinct possibility Alex wouldn't get the start.

All I'm saying is that if there's a good chance Kaep is starting, the more prepared he is, the better

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because typical Smith, he answered that with... fuck you I'm never throwing the ball against the Giants.

I'm so ready for Kaep, because like I said, he'll throw it into triple coverage to his best receiver... VD

We're on the same page. No offense given, and none taken.

Happy early Thanksgiving, man.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Kaep went with 30% of the reps? And then did THAT to a top 5 defense?

Wow. Imagine what he would do if he had 100% of the reps.

We've seen Smith with 100% of the reps. What did he do against top 5 defenses?

Each week is a different scenario. There was a little element of surprise having Kaep named the starter, the day of the game.

Kaep's ceiling is way higher than Alex's, no one is disputing that. With 100% of the practice snaps, he should be much more prepared. Conversely, the defense will be more prepared for him, too.

I want Kaepernick to ultimately be the starting QB for the niners. The offense is electric with him running the offense.

What's concerning to me is the steep learning curve for new QBs in the NFL and if this is the right time to test that.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The nice thing having a howitzer for an arm is that the passing window stays open longer.

That third down pass to Vernon was ridiculous. Play happened right in front of me, I was sitting at the 35 yd line, 8 rows up. VD was blanketed by 3 bears. It worked cuz no one was expecting it (the replays from behind the line showed an even smaller window to throw it through)

The bears played like they didn't know what was coming, how could they? The saints will know what is coming and this will be another test for a young QB.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nice thing having a howitzer for an arm is that the passing window stays open longer.

That third down pass to Vernon was ridiculous. Play happened right in front of me, I was sitting at the 35 yd line, 8 rows up. VD was blanketed by 3 bears. It worked cuz no one was expecting it (the replays from behind the line showed an even smaller window to throw it through)

The bears played like they didn't know what was coming, how could they? The saints will know what is coming and this will be another test for a young QB.

I know, but the truth of the matter is that the Saints can't really prepare for CK's arm strength and confidence.

More film and recognition of his ability won't make their arms longer or their legs faster... once VD gets behind their slower LB he is now open thanks to CK's cannon and willingness to throw the damn ball (handcuffs off) ... 3 yrs of film can't stop the fact that CK can get it to VD in a tight window.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, but the truth of the matter is that the Saints can't really prepare for CK's arm strength and confidence.

More film and recognition of his ability won't make their arms longer or their legs faster... once VD gets behind their slower LB he is now open thanks to CK's cannon and willingness to throw the damn ball (handcuffs off) ... 3 yrs of film can't stop the fact that CK can get it to VD in a tight window.

I'm absolutely with you. I was screaming for VD to go off in that game because there was no way their LB could stick with him.

The reason I point to gameplan was that the bears were stacking 8, even 9 in the box with a cover 1 defense. Which is perfect when playing against Alex Smith, crowd the passing lanes and stuff the run. No fear of the intermediate routes.

Once Kaep burned them with VD on the first drive and then Kyle Williams on that third down (looked like he was the third option on that play), they were wide open for those 6-8 yards runs..game over.

Kaep was able to audible at will "kill kill kill" lol and he was playing madden

He faces a weaker Saints defense but with different looks and in a louder stadium where play calls and snap counts can get messed up can disrupt the timing of the offense.

I hope the o-line brings it like they did in the bears game, especially in blitz pickup. Then Kaep can fully utilize the mismatches that his arm, VD's size and speed, Crabs ability to separate in space, and the speed guys on the outside can present.

As much as I want an airshow.. I think the niners are gonna rely heavily on the run to pound away and then throw to keep em honest.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I'm glad that Harbaugh chose Kaepernick. I 100% admit that my hesitation with him was my ignorance in thinking that he couldn't maximize the 49ers offense of calling matching passing/running plays and then deciding which one to go with after presnap reads... I didn't think he'd be so good 2 years in... I was wrong.

CK might not be an expert yet, (because I'm arrogant enough to think this is a 40 PPG group), but he is clearly far enough along to beat anyone in this league with that defense behind him.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, I'm glad that Harbaugh chose Kaepernick. I 100% admit that my hesitation with him was my ignorance in thinking that he couldn't maximize the 49ers offense of calling matching passing/running plays and then deciding which one to go with after presnap reads... I didn't think he'd be so good 2 years in... I was wrong.

CK might not be an expert yet, (because I'm arrogant enough to think this is a 40 PPG group), but he is clearly far enough along to beat anyone in this league with that defense behind him.

They do have weapons to be a 30 ppg offense.

Man..after letting the decision settle in..

F it! Let's unleash Kaep on them. Light em up Kaep!