• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumor mill: Texans prefer Mack over Clowney

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. He fits better in the Texans system and doesn't come with character issues.

I have two questions on this: do you think the rumors are true? Why would you pick Clowney over Mack, knowing the fact that Clowney has displayed obvious red flags?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. He fits better in the Texans system and doesn't come with character issues.

I have two questions on this: do you think the rumors are true? Why would you pick Clowney over Mack, knowing the fact that Clowney has displayed obvious red flags?

Don't blame the Texans at all...Clowney is a 4-3 DE, they play a 3-4...Mack projects to be a better space player, should fit their system better...but that's really the end of it for me. I don't think Mack is a better football player...if this rumor is true, the more I think they will trade with ATL or some other team that wants Clowney.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't blame the Texans at all...Clowney is a 4-3 DE, they play a 3-4...Mack projects to be a better space player, should fit their system better...but that's really the end of it for me. I don't think Mack is a better football player...if this rumor is true, the more I think they will trade with ATL or some other team that wants Clowney.

What makes Clowney a better player? Clowney comes across as lazy, and someone who cares more about money than football. And that scares me about him. I don't want a player who shows up maybe. I don't know Clowney personally, but if the reports are true, I don't want him, even if he falls to my Bills.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes Clowney a better player? Clowney comes across as lazy, and someone who cares more about money than football. And that scares me about him. I don't want a player who shows up maybe. I don't know Clowney personally, but if the reports are true, I don't want him, even if he falls to my Bills.

Clowney...character...without any legal issues I'm aware of, I'll just roll with the last yr @ S.Car has his display of poor character.

I understand that to a degree...looking at the player side, coming from zero to minimum wage money, after your soph season in school you're now a top 10 NFL draft pick, but you're not eligible. I think most players would do the same thing because an injury wipes all of that out and you saw it happen to a teammate. I'm not holding that against him from a character stand point.

On the field...he performed well vs the highest level of competition, he has all the measurements to excel at the pro level. Will he be better than Mack? IDK...The draft is part crap shoot, you never know what's inside of a guy. As football careers go, with the new rookie cap, I'm not as concerned about the commitment...you really need to get a 2nd NFL contract to be set up for life financially with a high quality of life unless you make a lot in endorsements.

Circling back to HOU...I don't think taking Mack #1 is the best option for them overall draft. They can pick up 2 very good picks by swapping with ATL...that might take Mack out of play @ 6, but they can get a top 2 WR, or OT @ 6 and still get a quality prospect @ QB, and WR or OT.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack plays with a ton of energy and effort, and he plays with swagger. I could see him being the kind of guy that sets a tone for a defense. He'd have to put on a few more pounds, but I'd like to see him in Jacksonville playing the leo for Bradley.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm kind of starting to agree, I don't know that football is as important to Clowney as the paychecks are. However, I think the risk with Clowney is worth taking(if I'm someone other than the Texans), because when he's on and wants to play he can be a disruptive difference maker. I don't think Clowney fits in a 3-4 defense

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walterfootball said the Rams would be leaning towards Mack if Clowney is off the board and they couldn't get a great trade down which is interesting because he would spend most of his time at 4-3 OLB except when Quinn or Long is catching a breather.

Imo, Clowney and Mack have been established as the top 2 prospects at this point. Clowney is ranked ahead of Mack, imo, because he has no competition whatsoever as a 4-3 DE. Ealy is more of a hybrid run stopper who works best rushing in the middle in Nickel packages but has some upside on the outside or standing up but he isnt close to Clowney in terms of value. Ford is seen as a day 2 prospect. The ideal scenario for the Rams is Mack going #1 because they could get a great package for Clowney.

I suspect Clowney will go #1 but to a team like the Jaguars in the rumored trade. I don't know if any other team has the ammo to trade up to #1 for Clowney unless Houston gives a really good discount to a team like Atlanta

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree about Mack over Clowney for the Texans. Needed is a 3-4 in that system. My question is do they pick a DE/LB or a QB? Is Fitz or Case the answer at the helm? I would think they need a QB for their first pick.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of starting to agree, I don't know that football is as important to Clowney as the paychecks are. However, I think the risk with Clowney is worth taking(if I'm someone other than the Texans), because when he's on and wants to play he can be a disruptive difference maker. I don't think Clowney fits in a 3-4 defense

Keep in mind, i am not saying don't draft Clowney or that he's unworthy of a 1st round pick. What I am saying is that you have to be very careful with him. You don't want a million dollar arm, but a 10 cent brain.

I believe the Texans are worried about Clowney's commitment to football, and believe Mack is the safer pick and somebody who fits into their system better.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind, i am not saying don't draft Clowney or that he's unworthy of a 1st round pick. What I am saying is that you have to be very careful with him. You don't want a million dollar arm, but a 10 cent brain.

I believe the Texans are worried about Clowney's commitment to football, and believe Mack is the safer pick and somebody who fits into their system better.

Clowney...you do need to be careful, but the system favors Mack for HOU as we've said.

Here's the question with that in mind...if you're HOU and you think you can pick up a QB at the top of the 2nd like Mettenberger. Would you take Mack #1?

Or, do you trade with ATL or JAX?

Neither spot guarantees you Mack, but you pick up 2 more good picks from this draft.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney...you do need to be careful, but the system favors Mack for HOU as we've said.

Here's the question with that in mind...if you're HOU and you think you can pick up a QB at the top of the 2nd like Mettenberger. Would you take Mack #1?

Or, do you trade with ATL or JAX?

Neither spot guarantees you Mack, but you pick up 2 more good picks from this draft.

I would acquire more picks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are going to trade down a couple of spots, use their first on Bortles/Carr/Manziel and then use the extra picks to fill out their roster. Texans really, really need a QB

The question becomes: what team is stupid enough to trade up?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are going to trade down a couple of spots, use their first on Bortles/Carr/Manziel and then use the extra picks to fill out their roster. Texans really, really need a QB

That's why I find the idea to be out there. It's a big price to pay for a team which performed poorly in 2013.

My pick would probably be Bortles, because as you said, quarterback is their biggest need.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clowney...character...without any legal issues I'm aware of, I'll just roll with the last yr @ S.Car has his display of poor character.

I understand that to a degree...looking at the player side, coming from zero to minimum wage money, after your soph season in school you're now a top 10 NFL draft pick, but you're not eligible. I think most players would do the same thing because an injury wipes all of that out and you saw it happen to a teammate. I'm not holding that against him from a character stand point.

On the field...he performed well vs the highest level of competition, he has all the measurements to excel at the pro level. Will he be better than Mack? IDK...The draft is part crap shoot, you never know what's inside of a guy. As football careers go, with the new rookie cap, I'm not as concerned about the commitment...you really need to get a 2nd NFL contract to be set up for life financially with a high quality of life unless you make a lot in endorsements.

Circling back to HOU...I don't think taking Mack #1 is the best option for them overall draft. They can pick up 2 very good picks by swapping with ATL...that might take Mack out of play @ 6, but they can get a top 2 WR, or OT @ 6 and still get a quality prospect @ QB, and WR or OT.

This is the NFL the saints are not Clemson.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That could happen as well, but I would be tempted to wait...the team imo that would be foolish to move up is JAX...Clowney doesn't make them a playoff team next season so why give up picks.

For ATL...idk if it's a stupid move...unless they give up their 2nd round pick. They have 10 picks overall...one or two players away from being a playoff team this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the NFL the saints are not Clemson.

lol...I hear ya Saints fan. Very true...but that applies to every rookie.

IMO, the reason New Orleans has the edge on ATL is the Falcons have no matchup for Graham and the other reason doesn't play...coach Smitty is not that guy.