• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rules of being a fan

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is it acceptable to switch team allegiance?

Random example, no way relevant to me in any fashion at all.

Lets say you grow up in a state with no professional sports teams, so as a youth you pick teams based on your favorite player. Over the years you watched the most inept ownership of all time hire the wrong people and keep them way too long, while simultaneously pissing on their superstar. Fast forward 20 years or so and you now live in a state that has a professional team that is a joy to watch, and you go to several games, meanwhile the Coach/GM of your favorite team believes the game has not changed in 25 years and is so laughably inadequate for both jobs and everything he does ruins your enjoyment for watching your favorite team. You find everything about the team to be repugnant to the point that the sport you loved most in the world is just background noise that you could do with out.

Keeping in mind that you have never even set foot in the state of the team you support, is changing team loyalty acceptable at that point?

even more depressing as I was typing this I realized it could have been about either the Wolves or the Lions.....sports are dumb

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets say you grow up in a state with no professional sports teams, so as a youth you pick teams based on your favorite player. Over the years you watched the most inept ownership of all time hire the wrong people and keep them way too long, while simultaneously pissing on their superstar. Fast forward 20 years or so and you now live in a state that has a professional team that is a joy to watch, and you go to several games, meanwhile the Coach/GM of your favorite team believes the game has not changed in 25 years and is so laughably inadequate for both jobs and everything he does ruins your enjoyment for watching your favorite team. You find everything about the team to be repugnant to the point that the sport you loved most in the world is just background noise that you could do with out.

Keeping in mind that you have never even set foot in the state of the team you support, is changing team loyalty acceptable at that point?

even more depressing as I was typing this I realized it could have been about either the Wolves or the Lions.....sports are dumb

Yes, run, run away from those teams as fast as you can!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never wanted to be a fan that hopped teams. I can take the losing, Wolves just took it to the next level by taking my enjoyment of watching them. I feel like my to choices are switch teams or stop watching basketball. Maybe revisit the Wolves after Thibs is fired, which based on Glen Taylors timeline will probably be in 13 years or so.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never wanted to be a fan that hopped teams. I can take the losing, Wolves just took it to the next level by taking my enjoyment of watching them. I feel like my to choices are switch teams or stop watching basketball. Maybe revisit the Wolves after Thibs is fired, which based on Glen Taylors timeline will probably be in 13 years or so.

I must confess I don't know what it's like to be a true fan of a team that plays in a state I wasn't born and raised in. There were certain reasons/players that made you choose those teams in the first place so I don't see a real connection and believe if you find other reasons to switch teams it makes just as much sense as it did when you picked the teams you root for now.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, if you like to hop teams. It’s the easy way out imo. Not every franchise is going to be successful. For example (a random example), the Vikings. You have to stick it out and if they do win, one championship is all you need. That’s a true fan imo

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's acceptable once you are no longer emotionally invested in how your team does. Or if there is some major incident that changes your viewing of the team/players that could be a reason too.

For me I loved the Warriors, even though they were continually the laughing stock of the league. I became a fan of the team when I was introduced to basketball, and subsequently it was one of the last really good years for the Warriors. It was the year they had drafted/traded for Chris Webber. After that followed a dismantling of that teams and 1 playoff appearance in 20 years.

I don't take for granted the new ownership group who turned everything around. I was even pissed when I found out Lacob bought the team because I wanted Larry Ellison and his deep pockets to get the team. Never been so happy to be wrong about that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in this specific case if you never had a reason to like that team and you just started following them, you fan become a fan also of a team where you move to. Idk that is definitely a tough call...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always acceptable. Spectating sports is supposed to be fun. Just like anything else. If you are not having fun anymore then remaining a fan of that team is only going to make you dislike the sport. And then the sport will lose a spectator. That’s a lose lose for everyone.

If there is a team you like watching then watch them. Follow them. Nobody really cares, except for the true fan snobs. Just because you were always a fan of a team doesn’t mean you are more of a fan than a newb.

The only thingsyou must do to be a true fan is to support the team and be knowledgeable about the current team. And be willing to learn about its past.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if you like to hop teams. It’s the easy way out imo. Not every franchise is going to be successful. For example (a random example), the Vikings. You have to stick it out and if they do win, one championship is all you need. That’s a true fan imo

I don't like to hop teams though. I have stuck with the Wolves through some of the worst seasons in NBA history and did not bat an eye. In fact they are just starting to win now, which if team hoping was my goal this would be the exact wrong time. I would rather the Wolves win 9 games than watch what they put out now though. The team is horrible to watch, and the guy calling the shots is the same guy that coaches unwatchable basketball in the first place.

Everything that has ever tied me to this team is gone, and watching them is ruining my love of the game. Thibodeau is the worst thing to ever happen to my enjoyment of sports, I would happily bring back Kahn for then next decade to get rid of him.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m from New York. Lots of my friends are met fans. Many of them lost interest due to Mets being Mets. And now are part time followers at best. If they changed teams they would likely still be fans. Since they once loved the sport so.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's acceptable once you are no longer emotionally invested in how your team does. Or if there is some major incident that changes your viewing of the team/players that could be a reason too.

For me I loved the Warriors, even though they were continually the laughing stock of the league. I became a fan of the team when I was introduced to basketball, and subsequently it was one of the last really good years for the Warriors. It was the year they had drafted/traded for Chris Webber. After that followed a dismantling of that teams and 1 playoff appearance in 20 years.

I don't take for granted the new ownership group who turned everything around. I was even pissed when I found out Lacob bought the team because I wanted Larry Ellison and his deep pockets to get the team. Never been so happy to be wrong about that.

I have dreamed of Taylor selling the team for so long, that mother fucker always claims he is looking to, but then shortly after he makes that claim he always buys a larger share of the team.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m from New York. Lots of my friends are met fans. Many of them lost interest due to Mets being Mets. And now are part time followers at best. If they changed teams they would likely still be fans. Since they once loved the sport so.

I will be honest, even if I did switch to following the Jazz I would probably switch back the moments Thibs is gone.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must confess I don't know what it's like to be a true fan of a team that plays in a state I wasn't born and raised in. There were certain reasons/players that made you choose those teams in the first place so I don't see a real connection and believe if you find other reasons to switch teams it makes just as much sense as it did when you picked the teams you root for now.
I was born a trojans fan.My birth certificate is actually an apology letter from the condom factory

Other than that the closest I come to being a fan of a NY team is the NJ Devils

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest, even if I did switch to following the Jazz I would probably switch back the moments Thibs is gone.

There’s nothing wrong with following a player and not a team.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like to hop teams though. I have stuck with the Wolves through some of the worst seasons in NBA history and did not bat an eye. In fact they are just starting to win now, which if team hoping was my goal this would be the exact wrong time. I would rather the Wolves win 9 games than watch what they put out now though. The team is horrible to watch, and the guy calling the shots is the same guy that coaches unwatchable basketball in the first place.

Everything that has ever tied me to this team is gone, and watching them is ruining my love of the game. Thibodeau is the worst thing to ever happen to my enjoyment of sports, I would happily bring back Kahn for then next decade to get rid of him.

Right there with you one the Lions, UVA has a 103-121 record since 2000 with 1 winning season in the last 10 and a 14 game losing streak against our main rival, my HS team started the 2000s by setting the Virginia state record of 57 straight losses. This is a HS that when I went there, the front 7 on defense had 3 go to the NFL and the 3 of the other 4 could have. I still root for the same teams I have since I was a kid 40+ years ago. Yes the Yankees and Penguins have won multiple championships, but both have had some bad seasons that I had to live though. The other two have had a few winning seasons sprinkled in among long losing streaks.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are willing to jump then you, quite literally, are no longer a fanatic.

The only thingsyou must do to be a true fan is to support the team and be knowledgeable about the current team. And be willing to learn about its past.
I would say that would make one a knowledgeable fan, but just sporting the colors and watching the team still makes one a fan. In my experience, most fans have no clue about the team history. All you gotta do be be devoted to that team.