• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Cuts

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
August 26th at 4:00 pm ET is the deadline to have rosters cut down to 75 players.
August 30th at 6:00 pm ET is the deadline to have rosters cut down to 53 players.

The next few days will get very interesting. Who gets cut?

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to pick but I would be fine with cutting McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Jewel Hampton, Alfonso Smith, Lance Lewis, Devon Wylie, L'Damian Washington, Kevin Greene, Dillon Farrell, Fou Fonoti, Michael Philipp, Kaleb Ramsey, Chase Thomas, Kion Wilson, James McCray, Colton Schmidt.

Im tired of watching Hampton and Smith at RB. I know Hampton was on our practice squad but he is so bad. I would rather see Glenn Winston play most of a game by himself.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toughest cuts will be in the secondary. We have a lot of obvious cuts and some moves will be done just by placing guys on the injury list.

Sucks that Martin's injury is long enough to keep him out a while but he'll have to be carried on the 53 and can't be put on the PUP to gain an extra spot for someone else.

Really hope we can avoid another Marcus Cooper situation and hold onto all of our young talent but it's gonna be tough. Someone will have to go.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday that they have waived the following seven players: quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, safety D.J. Campbell, tight end Kevin Greene, running back Jewel Hampton, punt Colton Schmidt, linebacker Kion Wilson and wide receiver Devon Wylie. The team also released wide receiver David Reed.

Additionally, the 49ers placed running back Marcus Lattimore, fullback Trey Millard, cornerback Keith Reaser and guard Brandon Thomas on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List. Linebacker NaVorro Bowman, tight end Garrett Celek and defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey were placed on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List.

The 49ers also released linebacker Blake Costanzo from the Injured Reserve List.

The 49ers roster currently stands at 75 and must be trimmed to 53 by 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday that they have waived the following seven players: quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, safety D.J. Campbell, tight end Kevin Greene, running back Jewel Hampton, punt Colton Schmidt, linebacker Kion Wilson and wide receiver Devon Wylie. The team also released wide receiver David Reed.

Additionally, the 49ers placed running back Marcus Lattimore, fullback Trey Millard, cornerback Keith Reaser and guard Brandon Thomas on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List. Linebacker NaVorro Bowman, tight end Garrett Celek and defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey were placed on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform List.

The 49ers also released linebacker Blake Costanzo from the Injured Reserve List.

The 49ers roster currently stands at 75 and must be trimmed to 53 by 1:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Jewell Hampton? ok, so one of these newer guys (Winston or Smith) still have a chance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Lattimore inching closer to another lost season?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprises so far.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(2) QBs - Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert
(3) RBs - Frank Gore, Carlos Hyde, LaMichael James
(2) FBs - Bruce Miller, Will Tukuafu
(6) WRs - Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, Brandon Lloyd
(3) TEs - Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs
(8) O-Line - Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Adam Snyder
(6) D-Line - Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Quinton Dial
(9) LBs - Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Michael Wilhoite, Corey Lemonier, Chris Borland, Dan Skuta, Nick Moody, Aaron Lynch
(7) CBs - Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, Jimmie Ward, Chris Cook, Kenneth Acker, Darryl Morris
(4) S - Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spillman
(3) STs - Phil Dawson, Andy Lee, Kevin McDermott

Pup/IR - Kendall Hunter, Marcus Lattimore, Trey Millard, Garrett Celek, Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Glenn Dorsey, NaVorro Bowman, Keith Reaser

I was bored so I made the 53 man roster. I went with Gabbert for now but if a QB gets dropped that is worth picking up like BJ Daniels I would drop Gabbert in a heart beat. I picked Brandon Lloyd as our #6 WR even though I think Osgood will make the team since he is our gunner on special teams. I have Dobbs as our #3 TE but if Celek gets healthy before that I could see him being our #3 TE and Dobbs not making the team. I have Boone on the roster hoping we can come to a contract agreement. Four players i left off the team that have a shot at making it were Carter Bykowski, Lawrence Okoye, Perrish Cox and Ray Ventrone.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Gabbert's last game just won him a roster spot on this team. I still don't like it, but with his guaranteed contract, the 49ers had to want him to take that spot rather wasting that money. I think Week 3 of the preseason just sealed it.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(6) WRs - Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, Brandon Lloyd
(8) O-Line - Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Alex Boone, Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin, Adam Snyder
(6) D-Line - Justin Smith, Ian Williams, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Quinton Dial
(9) LBs - Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Michael Wilhoite, Corey Lemonier, Chris Borland, Dan Skuta, Nick Moody, Aaron Lynch
(7) CBs - Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Dontae Johnson, Jimmie Ward, Chris Cook, Kenneth Acker, Darryl Morris

Pup/IR - Kendall Hunter, Marcus Lattimore, Trey Millard, Garrett Celek, Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Glenn Dorsey, NaVorro Bowman, Keith Reaser

I was bored so I made the 53 man roster. I went with Gabbert for now but if a QB gets dropped that is worth picking up like BJ Daniels I would drop Gabbert in a heart beat. I picked Brandon Lloyd as our #6 WR even though I think Osgood will make the team since he is our gunner on special teams. I have Dobbs as our #3 TE but if Celek gets healthy before that I could see him being our #3 TE and Dobbs not making the team. I have Boone on the roster hoping we can come to a contract agreement. Four players i left off the team that have a shot at making it were Carter Bykowski, Lawrence Okoye, Perrish Cox and Ray Ventrone.

No Dahl,Dobbs, Tukuafu. Maybe Winston has great game 4 and makes team. Carrier or celek over Dobbs.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Dahl,Dobbs, Tukuafu. Maybe Winston has great game 4 and makes team. Carrier or celek over Dobbs.

I agree Dahl blows but we are short at safety so I think he makes the team by default. If a safety did go down we could have Ward play but we still need depth at that position. Dobbs was kept cuz he can play TE and DE. Im not a fan of Carrier but Celek prolly makes the team over Dobbs. We need 2 FBs so I think Tukuafu makes the team. We cant chance Miller going down again and having no FB.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how Dahl is even a option to play safety, he is constantly 4 to 5 steps behind the TE's he is "covering" basically when Dahl comes in you can bet the other team is about to score. I would rather put Ward in at Safety and have Cox or one of our other CB's play the nickel.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Martin cannot be placed on the PUP because he practiced in Training Camp.

I also think Tukuafu doesn't have a spot on this roster.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin cannot be placed on the PUP because he practiced in Training Camp.

I also think Tukuafu doesn't have a spot on this roster.

Yeah I wasn't sure about how the rules went on that. I know you can take 2 people off IR which will be Bowman and Dorsey during the season. I guess since Martin can't go on the PUP list we can cut Snyder if we come to an agreement with Boone.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can only have one IR with designation to return. Bowman will be on the PUP since he didn't practice in camp. I think it then allows him to play either week 7 or as late as week 14 or something like that(in order to make the postseason roster)

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can only have one IR with designation to return. Bowman will be on the PUP since he didn't practice in camp. I think it then allows him to play either week 7 or as late as week 14 or something like that(in order to make the postseason roster)

You' re right only one player can come off IR. We can just put them on the reserve PUP list like you said and have them comeback sometime between week 7 and 14.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good cuts and strategy for the IR/ PUP so far IMO. Lattimore will sit this season. I hope he can come back healthy in 2015. 22 players to go on 8/30/2014. Any thoughts on who makes the roster? I will be posting mine after the game on Thursday.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get Lattimore. Is it even worth keeping him. He might never play again it looks like.

Genus49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get Lattimore. Is it even worth keeping him. He might never play again it looks like.

Why would you ever cut a player when you can keep him around without using up a roster spot for him? His pay is insignificant and if healthy he can turn out to be a steal.

He doesn't have to go on IR because he's never been activated since entering the league. He'll miss at least the first 6 games. IMO the team is going to keep him out as much as possible to make sure he's as close to 100% as possible.

Right now they don't need him and activating him now could be too early for his health and also would then require them to carry him on the 53 and just have him inactive on game days. Makes no sense.

This way they can stash him, let him heal and only call him up if the need is there(hopefully not)

I still think at some point this year he'll be activated and I think he'll play well. Maybe not another Frank Gore situation but I think he can still contribute to this team.