• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rose explains why he isn't coming back

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 NBA Playoffs: Derrick Rose of Chicago Bulls held back by lack of muscle memory, according to report - ESPN Chicago

Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose says a lack of muscle memory is one of the things holding him back from returning to the court from knee surgery, TNT reported Thursday.

Waddle & Silvy

TNT sideline reporter Rachel Nichols joins "Waddle & Silvy" to discuss Derrick Rose's status, the Bulls' Game 7 against the Nets and more.

More Podcasts »
"I was able to speak with Derrick off-camera a couple days ago, and he's telling me how badly he does want to be out there, but he says that he just doesn't have the muscle memory back, is the way he put it," sideline reporter Rachel Nichols said during the network's coverage of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals. Nichols also said that the lack of muscle memory is affecting the way Rose's knee feels and the way he shoots, and that until his body can react without him thinking about it, he doesn't want to be on the court and unsure of himself.

Rose underwent surgery to repair his torn left anterior cruciate ligament on May 12, 2012, and while he's been scrimmaging 5-on-5 since Feb. 18 and by all accounts looks dominant in practice, he has yet to play in a game this season. He's been medically cleared to play, but he has said he doesn't feel confident enough to test the knee in a game. Neither he nor the Bulls have ruled him out for the rest of this postseason, but it doesn't appear likely he'll play in Game 7 on Saturday against the Brooklyn Nets. When asked Friday whether he has any indication Rose will play Saturday, coach Tom Thibodeau said "No."

Rose hasn't talked to the media on the record since the playoffs started, and his interviews since his injury have been infrequent.

The spotlight has grown hotter for Rose as he watches teammates such as Joakim Noah (plantar fasciitis), Taj Gibson (knee) and Kirk Hinrich (calf) fight through injuries. In addition, Luol Deng missed Thursday's game with the flu, and Nate Robinson said Thursday that he was vomiting on the bench due to flu-like symptoms.

Gallery: Derrick Rose's Career
From preps to the Bulls, ESPN Chicago focuses on point guard Derrick Rose.

Gallery Timeline » Blog »
Hot Button: Vote: Will rep take hit? »

Former Bulls guard and TNT analyst Steve Kerr said Rose owes it to his teammates to play if his only obstacle is a lack of confidence.

"I think Derrick owes it to his teammates at this stage," Kerr said Monday on "The Carmen & Jurko Show" on ESPN 1000. "And again, I've been Derrick's biggest supporter on this. I've been saying all along, up until [Saturday], I've been saying, 'He should not play if he's not comfortable.'

"But if this is just about not being fully confident, you've got to go out there. If this is about, 'Hey, it doesn't feel right and I'm worried I can hurt it,' then no way should he play. But if this is just about, 'You know, gosh, I'm just not quite confident yet,' I would appeal to him and say, 'Can you give us 20 minutes?' And if you're Derrick, you've been watching Noah and Hinrich play on one leg this whole series, at what point do you start to feel sort of self-conscious and guilty about what's unfolding?"

The Bulls came to Rose's defense on Wednesday.

"Derrick owes it to what's right," coach Tom Thibodeau said Wednesday. "And the more I'm around him, the more I'm impressed with this guy's character.

"He's not being swayed by anybody. He's not quite there, and we made that clear to him from the beginning. We're going to support him in every way possible. I would never question him. Ever."

Really? Muscle memory? This guy is mentally soft and dumb as a rock.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a little bitch.

If you're a bulls fan and you're not disgusted Ms.Rose something is wrong with you

RedRum

You Cant Handle the Truth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a little bitch.

If you're a bulls fan and you're not disgusted Ms.Rose something is wrong with you

If you type Muscle Memory in google..the 1st article about it comes from "WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE" about pregnant women...no joke.:laugh3:

The Secret to Being Fit for Life: Muscle Memory

By Selene Yeager, Photography By Randi Berez

"Five weeks and five days after giving birth, and a full nine months since running a single step, WH's Lesley Rotchford, 34, laced up her sneaks and banged out five miles. Her muscles groaned a bit from the abrupt reentry, but with 20 years of distance running under their belt, they remembered just what to do.

It's a phenomenon aptly called muscle memory that affects pregnant women. "

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact: Rose failed the ACTs three times before he had a friend take the SATs for him. This violation cost Memphis to have all its wins from Rose's season stripped. The ACT is so easy you have to try to fail that test...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get what his issue is. It's obvious he's scared. He should seek out a sports psychologist.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesnt matter that much either way. Like stated before, they arent going to beat the Heat no matter what, and whats the point of coming back and potentially making things worse than they are. He hasnt played all year, he isnt going to be effective and will screw up whatever chemistry is there right now. Not to mention reconfiguring the line up, does he start or come off the bench, does it matter? No is quite frankly the answer. So when you say if youre a bulls fan and not pissed off there is something wrong with us it doesn make sense. If youre a Nets fan, and it pisses you off, i think there may be a problem though.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't piss me off, just letting everybody know how overrated, soft, and dumb Rose truy is.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well only he would be dumb enough to argue about his mild retardation, but he's not over rated.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see no issue with him not playing

ACL tear is a serious injury, and the bulls have no chance this year, so why risk re-tearing it???

fans of the NBA cry about loyalty all the time but they dont realize that most of these athletes have a 10-15 year period to make their money and thats it (and i know its a ton of money but still)

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does everybody say the Bulls would have no chance against Miami? The Bulls went 50-16 last year and the rest of their supporting cast was better this year. People act like Miami is unbeatable, but a year ago, they were taken to 7 by a Boston team that was far inferior to a healthy Chicago.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ACL injury has been medically cleared for about 2 months.

thehoorse

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Why does everybody say the Bulls would have no chance against Miami? The Bulls went 50-16 last year and the rest of their supporting cast was better this year. People act like Miami is unbeatable, but a year ago, they were taken to 7 by a Boston team that was far inferior to a healthy Chicago.

Are you serious?

Okay, where do I begin?...

1. Miami is better. They have added Ray Allen and Chris "Birdman" Anderson to what was already a good bench.

2. Chicago does not have Derrick Rose

3. Miami has no major injuries and is going into round 2 very well rested whereas Bulls are not (if they beat Nets).

4. Miami is playing better as a team. Another season adds familiarity and solidifies players roles. This is part of the reason why the Big 3 have improved as a whole with every season since their first one together. It's also the reason why they had a 27 game win streak during this most recent regular season.

5. Boston was better last season. Even though it's only 1 more year of age for Garnett and Pierce, that one year is like adding 3 years at a younger age. As if old age alone wasn't bad enough, the body breaks down at a faster rate the older you get (sports performance wise).

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bosh is healthy this year. In that Boston series he played 2 full games which were games 6 and 7....No surprise that the Heat won both

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right. A team that won the equivalent of 62 games each of the last two years would have had a 0% shot at beating Miami.

Using this logic, no person from any NBA team other than Miami should ever return from injury. If 62 wins isn't enough to validate a fighting chance, then there aren't weren't any teams in the league that had a fighting shot this year since nobody other than Miami had more than 60.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get what his issue is. It's obvious he's scared. He should seek out a sports psychologist.

I agree.... and you can't blame him. The way he plays, I would be terrified it would happen again.

And I don't blame him for taking more time... as someone mentioned above, they aren't going to win it all. If he comes back before he is comfortable, he will either (a) waste his time and hurt his team by playing passive or (b) end up hurting himself because he isn't in basketball shape yet (cutting, etc.)

I think he is smart... and scared as he should be.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right. A team that won the equivalent of 62 games each of the last two years would have had a 0% shot at beating Miami.

Using this logic, no person from any NBA team other than Miami should ever return from injury. If 62 wins isn't enough to validate a fighting chance, then there aren't weren't any teams in the league that had a fighting shot this year since nobody other than Miami had more than 60.

So you are assuming Rose will come back and immediately resume his form and be a contributor?

He would be a nightmare the 1st 20 games as he gets his basketball feet under him and make his team worse.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are assuming Rose will come back and immediately resume his form and be a contributor?

He would be a nightmare the 1st 20 games as he gets his basketball feet under him and make his team worse.

If Rose wanted to, I think he could have been 100% by now. Obviously, that ship has sailed, but to say that he should just take of an entire year in the middle of his prime because his team "had no chance anyways" when his team had won 76% of their games the last two years is ridiculous,

thehoorse

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

Smart, when people say they don't have a chance against Miami, it's not meant to be taken literally. I would hope you are smart enough to understand that. Of course no one can say with 100% certainty. For all we know, the a meteor could land on top of LeBron's head tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

thehoorse

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
If Rose wanted to, I think he could have been 100% by now. Obviously, that ship has sailed, but to say that he should just take of an entire year in the middle of his prime because his team "had no chance anyways" when his team had won 76% of their games the last two years is ridiculous,

I agree with you here. It's too late now. If he was to play, and he should have, the time was soon after he was physically cleared. I believe that was in February or early March.