• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rondo suspended for gay slurs to gay ref

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, this might not be the first time he was called what Rondo called him. He just decided at this point he wanted to come out with it, for what reason I'm not sure. If he didn't come out, Rondo still probably would have been suspended but there wouldn't be as much anger about it because stuff like this happens.
Yes, that is my point exactly.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.
I have another thought. I wonder how much of the frustration these players have pent up is due to the lack of a check & balance system in terms of the officiating. Let me elaborate.

A lot of times we see the refs make a call that have an instant impact on the game at hand and also could result in further disciplinary action from the league. Such as technical & flagrant fouls & the fines that accompany them. Now, in the case where the league reviews those calls and finds grounds to recind them, there is no adverse action in relation to the refs. A good example of this is when the refs called a flagrant 1 on Klay (who had the ball and was making a move to the basket) and inadvertly hit the defender in the face with his elbow as he tried to run around him. Initially that was called a personal foul then after a few more minutes decided to review the play and call it a flagrant. Clearly the replay showed there was no intent or excessive contact other than him making his move to the basket.

I think those are the kind of things that eventually drive some players (albeit the mental midget ones- we all have a pretty good idea who they are) to react agressively towards the refs. Let me be clear, while I'm suggesting this is a reason I don't think it's ok for the players to lash out- only that I understand how the frustration can build up.

This is always going to be a tough thing to navigate because of the human element in the game. The ref's are not robots who are prone to error. It seems that the league prefers the refs to err on the side of caution when it comes to making judgement calls. Understandably so, after all the league has been through in recent history, including the malice at the palace.

The league has to protect the refs because they are the easiest target for excuse. The refs are the only source of venting frustration for players. The players are not going to blame their teammates because they've turned the ball over 8 times that game. They're going to blame the ref who called a questionable foul on them with 2 minutes to go.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league has to protect the refs because they are the easiest target for excuse. The refs are the only source of venting frustration for players. The players are not going to blame their teammates because they've turned the ball over 8 times that game. They're going to blame the ref who called a questionable foul on them with 2 minutes to go.

I agree that the league has to protect the refs since they have the ability to change games. And adding to the fact they're human, there's always the possibility of them abusing that power as well. I think for the most part they have good intentions, but one bad apple spoils the bunch and there definitely are some bad apples in that group.

What I'm referring to though are the times when clearly human nature- in terms of having a personal vendetta or dislike for any given player- comes into play and influences their decision making. An example of this is when Duncan got called for a technical foul while on the bench. That clearly was a personal judgement that ref made right then and there, without knowing any of the context involved. Further more, that wasn't even a call he should've felt necessary to make. So what was the consequence for that? It impacted the game and resulted in the fould being recinded later by the league.

When something like that can happen and there's no consequence it sends a message to the players that there's no check & balance system. IMO it makes them want to challenge authority (in this case the refs) and retaliate because there is no other way of addressing it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the league has to protect the refs since they have the ability to change games. And adding to the fact they're human, there's always the possibility of them abusing that power as well. I think for the most part they have good intentions, but one bad apple spoils the bunch and there definitely are some bad apples in that group.

What I'm referring to though are the times when clearly human nature- in terms of having a personal vendetta or dislike for any given player- comes into play and influences their decision making. An example of this is when Duncan got called for a technical foul while on the bench. That clearly was a personal judgement that ref made right then and there, without knowing any of the context involved. Further more, that wasn't even a call he should've felt necessary to make. So what was the consequence for that? It impacted the game and resulted in the fould being recinded later by the league.

When something like that can happen and there's no consequence it sends a message to the players that there's no check & balance system. IMO it makes them want to challenge authority (in this case the refs) and retaliate because there is no other way of addressing it.

Refs are graded every game, although the public has no access to that. These refs are continually evaluated by the NBA to ensure they are the best at what they do.

I understand frustration building and I understand that players may want to do that. That doesn't condone their actions. The players continually bitch at the refs all game. They're the ones who work the system. Yet when it doesn't go their way, they have freedom to act out as they see fit? There is always going to be someone who doesn't agree with a call. There's always a beneficiary of every call.

Say for example Kawhi Leonard is backing down CP3. CP3 gets knocked over and Kawhi scores a bucket. In that instance, the ref has to differentiate whether or not that was an offensive foul or a flop. If it's a flop and he calls nothing, CP3, and Doc Rivers will likely go batshit crazy and give the ref and earful. If the Ref calls an offensive foul for a charge, Pop and Leonard go full on crazy yelling at the same ref.

The refs are in a no-win position, every game.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Refs are graded every game, although the public has no access to that. These refs are continually evaluated by the NBA to ensure they are the best at what they do.

I understand frustration building and I understand that players may want to do that. That doesn't condone their actions. The players continually bitch at the refs all game. They're the ones who work the system. Yet when it doesn't go their way, they have freedom to act out as they see fit? There is always going to be someone who doesn't agree with a call. There's always a beneficiary of every call.

Say for example Kawhi Leonard is backing down CP3. CP3 gets knocked over and Kawhi scores a bucket. In that instance, the ref has to differentiate whether or not that was an offensive foul or a flop. If it's a flop and he calls nothing, CP3, and Doc Rivers will likely go batshit crazy and give the ref and earful. If the Ref calls an offensive foul for a charge, Pop and Leonard go full on crazy yelling at the same ref.

The refs are in a no-win position, every game.
I understand what you're saying and that's not what I'm talking about. I gave an example in my post. And of course the players aren't able to act out. Hence the fines and suspensions handed out like candy.

And another thing...if these refs are scored as you say then how come it isn't public? It's public and announced by the league when players and owners are fined and or disciplined. That's my point.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude will never grow up

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually has grown up some this year.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People find ways to get offended by every little thing. People need to get thicker skin and let other people have their opinion. No matter how idiotic or wrong they are.

Society needs to be more accepting of certain people? Why? Just move along and mind your own business. If for some reason a group of people don't accept or like you then move on and ignore it. I know people don't like me because of my background. Do I care what those people think about me? Nope. I could not care any less about what they think of me at all. This world has become the woe is me, feel sorry for me, I have become offended, pc bullshit, ect... Saying the right things definitely does not mean you are thinking the things you are saying. I would rather people say what they are truly feeling so I can avoid them instead of hiding behind platitudes.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it a slur if it was true? Why should someone, in any line of work, be punished for outing a co-worker?

Total BS

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he came out because of the story.

Dude has been a ref for 2 decades and the general public never heard a peep about it.

But, I'm sure some of the players, coaches, media etc knew.

So, when Rondo was caught, and if you look at his lips its clear what he is saying, you knew the question was gonna be asked.

Rondo is a bitch for lying about saying it. Be a man and take your lumps.

View attachment 65102Sean CunninghamVerified account‏@SeanCunningham
Reading Rajon Rondo's lips after Bill Kennedy ejected him - I really hope he didn't say something slur'ish. I'll leave it at that.

Who hacked your acct? The Lakers? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat says Stewie?

:scratch:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

But, are you insinuating that they chose to be gay?

Did you choose to be straight?

I didn't.

Believe me, there have been some drunken Vegas nights with some bad chicks where I said...maaaaaaaaybe.

In the end, I couldn't do it.

* that's my story and I'm sticking to it *

*Pops out with the camera phone*

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should someone, in any line of work, be punished for outing a co-worker?

Clearly you haven't worked in a while. Never heard of a department called Human Resources?

They frown upon that sort of thing.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dedicated to those who got the impression that I'm Anti-gay or lesbian. :D

Not I, my dear.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

I stated a few times that I didn't think that's what you meant.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who hacked your acct? The Lakers? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat says Stewie?

:scratch:

For Eli.

If he can get me to root for the Lakers, anything is possible.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Eli.

If he can get me to root for the Lakers, anything is possible.

Oh.......cool. Have you had contact with him? Haven't seen you much on FB and I know he and Rick spend a lot of time on there.