• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romor: LaMichael James to the Eagles

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to admit that he looked lightening quick at Oregon and that is all the 49ers' talent evaluators had to go on.

For sure. He was a very good college player. I thought he would have some value in the NFL. But he sucks.

I seriously wonder what I'm missing with him given how much support he gets from some fans. All I see is a midget with average to below average speed, zero wiggle, poor vision, and falls down if he gets hit by a gust of wind. Arguably the worst 49ers RB I have seen in the past decade.

A 7th for him would be a coup and they might as well start polishing Trent's Executive of the Year trophy right now if he pulled that off.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy had 12 carries for 59 yards and a 4.9 yard run average this year. Last year he had 27 carries for 125 yards and a 4.6 average. I'm not saying he's show that he can be an effective RB in the NFL, but he definitely hasn't shown that he can't either. Sure he has troubles in pass protection, but I think everyone has given up on him too early.

You can't look at this statistically even thought those stats are pretty pedestrian. LMJ has proven that he is a one trick pony, he simply cannot run between the tackles. In fact I will say that he is one of the worse runners that I can remember in recent memory at running between the tackles, his game is completely dependent on getting to the outside. His vision and patience are lacking, this is likely due to his offense in college not asking him to do these things. LMJ just isn't a good RB, he's extremely limited and a better fit for the college game than he is the pro game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. He was a very good college player. I thought he would have some value in the NFL. But he sucks.

I seriously wonder what I'm missing with him given how much support he gets from some fans. All I see is a midget with average to below average speed, zero wiggle, poor vision, and falls down if he gets hit by a gust of wind. Arguably the worst 49ers RB I have seen in the past decade.

A 7th for him would be a coup and they might as well start polishing Trent's Executive of the Year trophy right now if he pulled that off.

I think part of it is the 49ers don't use him properly. Smashmouth running never was and never will be his forte. If they could learn to use their running backs in the passing game or, god forbid, try a screen pass once in a while I think he would have some value.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think part of it is the 49ers don't use him properly. Smashmouth running never was and never will be his forte. If they could learn to use their running backs in the passing game or, god forbid, try a screen pass once in a while I think he would have some value.

The problem is, we're far too predictable. Well, part of the problem, anyway. Run Gore up the middle. Bring in Hunter or James, and run outside or try a screen. Hunter is actually a pretty good inside runner. I'd like to see more of him.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is, we're far too predictable. Well, part of the problem, anyway. Run Gore up the middle. Bring in Hunter or James, and run outside or try a screen. Hunter is actually a pretty good inside runner. I'd like to see more of him.

I like Hunter too. The plays are not so slow-developing when he runs the ball like they are with Gore.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't look at this statistically even thought those stats are pretty pedestrian. LMJ has proven that he is a one trick pony, he simply cannot run between the tackles. In fact I will say that he is one of the worse runners that I can remember in recent memory at running between the tackles, his game is completely dependent on getting to the outside. His vision and patience are lacking, this is likely due to his offense in college not asking him to do these things. LMJ just isn't a good RB, he's extremely limited and a better fit for the college game than he is the pro game.

I hear ya. He obviously has a lot to work on. I was never a fan of spending a 2nd round pick on him when we already had Kendall Hunter. Now that we have Lattimore he's definitely expendable. I just think he needs to be given another offseason to improve on his game. Particularly his blocking and running between the tackles. Someone will still give us a 7th rounder if he doesn't improve. If he does then his value increases. You don't sell your stocks when they're at rock bottom.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. He obviously has a lot to work on. I was never a fan of spending a 2nd round pick on him when we already had Kendall Hunter. Now that we have Lattimore he's definitely expendable. I just think he needs to be given another offseason to improve on his game. Particularly his blocking and running between the tackles. Someone will still give us a 7th rounder if he doesn't improve. If he does then his value increases. You don't sell your stocks when they're at rock bottom.

I think the point is that since James probably won't improve enough as a part of Roman's scheme to warrant keeping him in an overcrowded backfield Baalke should get on the phone to other GMs and try to get whatever he can in return instead of simply outright releasing James.

I really liked the idea of Baalke adding some speed to the Niners at the time of the 2012 draft, but it is a damn shame Jenkins AND James have been such duds because I really think a bit of effective speed from the RB & WR positions could have made the difference between losing a Super Bowl and Conference Championship game versus winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the point is that since James probably won't improve enough as a part of Roman's scheme to warrant keeping him in an overcrowded backfield Baalke should get on the phone to other GMs and try to get whatever he can in return instead of simply outright releasing James.

I really liked the idea of Baalke adding some speed to the Niners at the time of the 2012 draft, but it is a damn shame Jenkins AND James have been such duds because I really think a bit of effective speed from the RB & WR positions could have made the difference between losing a Super Bowl and Conference Championship game versus winning back-to-back Super Bowls.

I don't mean to defend James or Jenkins, per se, but I've got to raise the question of whether our coaching staff knows what to do with speed. I'm fine with emphasizing power and toughness, but we haven't shown we can make any use of our team speed whatsoever, outside of sending Vernon up the seam. I think Ginn is a great example of that. He's the type of player we desperately need (granted I'd prefer someone a bit more versatile and consistent), but when he was here, we barely used him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
even if he's better at outside plays, go ahead and use him that way. run outside, hand it off like Seattle did with Harvin, or throw it to him a short pass to the flats. doesn't need to be a lot of reps each game, but enough to use his strengths.

even if D's know we'll use him that way, doesn't mean they'll stop him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He just never showed his speed at the NFL level. Comparing him to Warrick Dunn is downright laughable... more like Dexter Carter.

We really need to draft a slot WR with a lot of speed who can return kicks at a high level. If we can finally hit that pick in the mid to late rounds I'd be very happy. Thought Kyle Williams would bounce back, but that injury ruined him. Would love to get a solid player to fill that role and make some big plays for us.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to defend James or Jenkins, per se, but I've got to raise the question of whether our coaching staff knows what to do with speed. I'm fine with emphasizing power and toughness, but we haven't shown we can make any use of our team speed whatsoever, outside of sending Vernon up the seam. I think Ginn is a great example of that. He's the type of player we desperately need (granted I'd prefer someone a bit more versatile and consistent), but when he was here, we barely used him.

I completely agree that the Niners have mismanaged the speed and finesse players and style of the game, but let us not forget Ginn whiffed and dropped the ball (literally) numerous time when put in a position to succeed as a receiver.

Though I would probably say the Niners QBs have been just as much at fault for Ginn being useless as a receiver as any other reason because Alex simply didn't have the arm or confidence to throw deep and Kaepernick is like a young Elway in that he only throws bullet passes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He just never showed his speed at the NFL level. Comparing him to Warrick Dunn is downright laughable... more like Dexter Carter.

We really need to draft a slot WR with a lot of speed who can return kicks at a high level. If we can finally hit that pick in the mid to late rounds I'd be very happy. Thought Kyle Williams would bounce back, but that injury ruined him. Would love to get a solid player to fill that role and make some big plays for us.

yeah we do need someone with quickness to get open ASAP, and if its another player fine with me.

but LMJ seems quick enough, so why aren't we using him on offense? maybe he doesn't catch passes well out of the backfield? maybe Kaep doesn't throw that short pass well?

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah we do need someone with quickness to get open ASAP, and if its another player fine with me.

but LMJ seems quick enough, so why aren't we using him on offense? maybe he doesn't catch passes well out of the backfield? maybe Kaep doesn't throw that short pass well?[/QUOTE]

.........................................................^This^

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if he's better at outside plays, go ahead and use him that way. run outside, hand it off like Seattle did with Harvin, or throw it to him a short pass to the flats. doesn't need to be a lot of reps each game, but enough to use his strengths.

even if D's know we'll use him that way, doesn't mean they'll stop him.

Why take up a roster spot for a player who can only run outside when we have a guy in Hunter who is nearly as good at outside running and lightyears ahead in running between the tackles, blocking and receiving out of the backfield?

LMJ isn't even close to Harvin, not even in the same universe.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may not be the popular opinion, but unless we get a legitimate KR/PR, I would rather keep LMJ and trade Hunter for more value. That would free up playing time for Lattimore, and we could use LMJ as our change-of-pace back and as our KR/PR.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may not be the popular opinion, but unless we get a legitimate KR/PR, I would rather keep LMJ and trade Hunter for more value. That would free up playing time for Lattimore, and we could use LMJ as our change-of-pace back and as our KR/PR.

No, No, No. LMJ isn't a legitimate KR/PR.

Hunter has shown that he has the ability to be an every down back and possible heir apparent to Gore (he and Lattimore will probably be a one two combo). You don't trade that for a slightly below average KR/PR who offers next to nothing as a RB.

LMJ is completely expendable.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bye Bye LMJ, do not let the door hit you where the good lord spilt you. Waste of a pick, may end up being awesome in the right system but wrong for the 9ers. Hunter at the least can be a useful back. Gore may need to really take his foot off the throttle this year. It will for sure be his swan song year. Great player with a bigger heart.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why take up a roster spot for a player who can only run outside when we have a guy in Hunter who is nearly as good at outside running and lightyears ahead in running between the tackles, blocking and receiving out of the backfield?

LMJ isn't even close to Harvin, not even in the same universe.

wasn't comparing LMJ to Harvin, was describing a play we might run for LMJ too. how did you get I was comparing the two players?

not adamant we keep LMJ, not even close. but if we do keep him, we should use him on offense. not pushing for a LOT of reps, but we should use his skill set.

in comparing LMJ to Hunter, not so sure we've seen enough of either?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wasn't comparing LMJ to Harvin, was describing a play we might run for LMJ too. how did you get I was comparing the two players?

not adamant we keep LMJ, not even close. but if we do keep him, we should use him on offense. not pushing for a LOT of reps, but we should use his skill set.

in comparing LMJ to Hunter, not so sure we've seen enough of either?

You were comparing their speed by indicating that LMJ could be successful on Harvin type plays like the jet sweep. This isn't the case as LMJ isn't in the same universe as Harvin in terms of speed or explosion.

I've definitely seen enough of them both to make a comparison but I must admit that running back play is my expertise so others might need a larger sample size.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted the Niners to draft Ruben Randle in 2012. He was the big receiver that they needed. Instead they chose Jenkins and then LMJ. I would have rather have Bernard Pierce in the 2nd round. That 2012 draft helped the Seahawks close the gap on the Niners.