• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Jerry doesn't have to do a damn thing, he can keep Romo as his backup QB in 2017-18 if he wants to and there's not a thing Romo can do about it short of retire. To say the Cowboys can't keep Romo financially is nuts, if not for Dak, they'd want to keep him here the next two or three seasons. The overall QB money for the Cowboys isn't bad at all if you view Romo as starter money and Dak as number 3 money. I think Romo will be cut, but to suggest Jerry has some kind of losing hand in this is just goofy

I agree with the point on the money but it goes way deeper than that. Holding onto Romo if he does not want to be here is just asking for a locker room issue IMHO

And I stick with the losing hand analogy Jerry does not hold the winning hand for a trade or otherwise

so I will agree to disagree :suds:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the point on the money but it goes way deeper than that. Holding onto Romo if he does not want to be here is just asking for a locker room issue IMHO

And I stick with the losing hand analogy Jerry does not hold the winning hand for a trade or otherwise

so I will agree to disagree :suds:

Just last season Dallas held onto a guy who publicly said he did not want to be in Dallas - Ronald Leary. Jerry kept him, despite his public displeasure. While Romo looms larger than Leary, it is a very similar situation. To say that Jerry wouldn't keep Romo despite him wanting to be somewhere else is ignoring the very recent past.

And Jerry has more leverage than any of the other owners. Jerry holds the contract, he will make the final decision, no matter who likes it or not. To say Jerry is holding the losing hand is not at all accurate. What's Romo going to do if Jerry says "tough luck, you're staying in Dallas"? The answer is nothing. Or maybe Romo retires, but that is not the same thing as Jerry "losing".

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need any tips. You have your opinions, I have mine. Remember I said that I didn't think it would be a good thing for Dak or the team if Romo participated in OTAs or TC. I would not want any distractions for him.

I think too many assumptions are being made about Romo's feelings. No one outside of Romo, his family and close friends, and the Cowboys front office have any real idea. Don't get swept up in the medias bull shit - they have almost no credibility on this issue.

I also think people are too caught up in the whole "the Cowboys owe it to Romo" - which is total bull shit. What about what Romo owes the Cowboys? He has been paid well over $100m by this franchise, received countless opportunities outside of football because of his exposure as QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas doesn't owe Romo anything but what was contractually agreed upon. Dallas has not done wrong by Romo, not at all. Is it too much to ask of Tony to play the good soldier and honor his contract? I don't think so. Jerry and Parcells gave Tony his break, it's a joke if anyone thinks Romo has been done wrong by this organization.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just last season Dallas held onto a guy who publicly said he did not want to be in Dallas - Ronald Leary. Jerry kept him, despite his public displeasure. While Romo looms larger than Leary, it is a very similar situation. To say that Jerry wouldn't keep Romo despite him wanting to be somewhere else is ignoring the very recent past.

And Jerry has more leverage than any of the other owners. Jerry holds the contract, he will make the final decision, no matter who likes it or not. To say Jerry is holding the losing hand is not at all accurate. What's Romo going to do if Jerry says "tough luck, you're staying in Dallas"? The answer is nothing. Or maybe Romo retires, but that is not the same thing as Jerry "losing".
I know when some players retire they need to return a portion of the signing bonus. I never looked into how this works or if it also relates to restructured money (I would think it doesn't) but I wonder if Romo would need to give back any money if he retired.

Romo was a great player for us and it's sad his legacy in the eyes of many fans of being a choker, etc is out there and it's very unfair to him and the Cowboys. I do think it is because of an anti-Cowboy bias and I do think the way he carried himself rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I think what we knew was just a happy go lucky guy who was just ecstatic to be playing QB in the NFL was seen by some other fans as a guy with an annoying shit eating grin on his face. IMO he is twice the QB of some guys who are seen by other fans as better than him. I do think he does have a role in it because of his decisions and some of the negative plays he has had in big spots, but it is still an unfair representation of just how good and YES clutch he was for the most part. But the Romo of today is just not the same player any more. He is older and more fragile and much less agile and while at his best he was better than Dak was 3 months ago...he is just not at his best and not near the QB that Dak is today and the fact that no team is willing to trade for him proves that. His contract is cheap for a starting QB and we can't get a 5th for him? Since we don't have a time machine it doesn't matter if Romo is here or gone, Dak is our QB and Romo is not good enough to beat him out. I'd love to have a "happy" Romo as a backup on the team in case of emergency, but I think he has become bitter towards the team or the situation and I don't think it is possible to have a happy Romo as a backup. So I wouldn't be upset if we trade/cut him soon and let him move on even though I know it is best for the team to wait.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you seem to be waiting for Houston or Denver to blink. Why would they get rid of anything to when they know he will be released. Sure when it comes draft time if I am one of them and my player isn't there in the 5th, I can understand that logic. I tell you what, I will try to get in touch with him tonight and see what he says( Tony not Jerry). He is just getting back from the golf tournament so it may be awhile.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those who are saying there is no trade market for Romo, have offered up zero proof of that actually being the case. I'm a firm believer there is a trade market, and that Dallas will receive a little more than a 5th or 6th round pick for their troubles.

We will see.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you seem to be waiting for Houston or Denver to blink. Why would they get rid of anything to when they know he will be released.

Because they really don't know that. Denver's rationale for a trade might be that Houston would be Tony's first choice if a free agent, so they could pre-empt Houston by trading for Romo. Houston might trade for Romo because they fear Denver beating them to the punch. It only takes two parties to create a bidding war. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

A real shot at a Super Bowl is worth gambling a draft pick, be it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or whatever. Give Houston or Denver a franchise QB, and they are real Super Bowl contenders.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they really don't know that. Denver's rationale for a trade might be that Houston would be Tony's first choice if a free agent, so they could pre-empt Houston by trading for Romo. Houston might trade for Romo because they fear Denver beating them to the punch. It only takes two parties to create a bidding war. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp.

A real shot at a Super Bowl is worth gambling a draft pick, be it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or whatever. Give Houston or Denver a franchise QB, and they are real Super Bowl contenders.

Maybe Romo has said I'm only going to Houston or somewhere else.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See here it goes again. In one sentence he is old and fragile. In the next sentence he is a franchise Qb that will make a team a contender.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Romo has said I'm only going to Houston or somewhere else.

Romo seemed to be good with landing in Denver before Houston became a realistic possibility. None of us actually know what is being said. I'm only looking at this from what makes business sense - because first and foremost the NFL is a business.

Apparently Jerry has begun to allow teams to speak with Romo regarding his contract. If the plan was to release Romo this wouldn't happen - Tony would just be released.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See here it goes again. In one sentence he is old and fragile. In the next sentence he is a franchise Qb that will make a team a contender.

He's both. God you're dense today.

I've never once said Romo can't still play at a high level. But he has very real risks attached to him, and with Dak in the fold, Dallas doesn't need to gamble on Romo. For a team with no QB like Houston or Denver, it's a different proposition.

Reactions: GNG

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is old and fragile...that's why the Cowboys are getting two less #1's for Romo than the Eagles got for Bradford, the Bengals got for Palmer, or the Rams got for RG3...