• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolston on hot seat after horrendous start?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of Rolston but I think the wrong guy is on the hot seat !!!! :L

You may be part of the “Fi-re Dar-cy” crowd in the upper reaches of First Niagara Center but the facts are these: Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier has been here since 1997. He has built up quite a cachet with owner Terry Pegula and senior adviser Ken Sawyer, and has been put in charge of yet another rebuilding project.

Team President Ted Black even said last week on his weekly radio show that removing Regier would equate to a panic move.

The same, however, may not apply to coach Ron Rolston, even though Regier elevated him to the top job in May without interviewing any other candidates. With the Sabres holding a 1-8-1 record and off to the worst start in franchise history, the target is growing bigger on the coach’s back.

The rest of the story... Rolston on hot seat after horrendous start - Sports - The Buffalo News

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans in Buffalo deserve better Boss, it's time for Darcy to go and bring in a new guy, it's pretty obvious to me that the players are waiting for this to happen and I'm over 3000 miles away on Vancouver Island.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be, I mean they are clearly struggling right now, the whole team is.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabres are so delusional - it's sad how bad it is there - it's probably worse than in Philadelphia right now - and that says something

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of Rolston but I think the wrong guy is on the hot seat !!!! :L

You may be part of the “Fi-re Dar-cy” crowd in the upper reaches of First Niagara Center but the facts are these: Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier has been here since 1997. He has built up quite a cachet with owner Terry Pegula and senior adviser Ken Sawyer, and has been put in charge of yet another rebuilding project.

Team President Ted Black even said last week on his weekly radio show that removing Regier would equate to a panic move.

The same, however, may not apply to coach Ron Rolston, even though Regier elevated him to the top job in May without interviewing any other candidates. With the Sabres holding a 1-8-1 record and off to the worst start in franchise history, the target is growing bigger on the coach’s back.

The rest of the story... Rolston on hot seat after horrendous start - Sports - The Buffalo News

Even if Rolston is the problem, it's still a Regier problem for not even bothering to interview anyone else.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fans in Buffalo deserve better Boss, it's time for Darcy to go and bring in a new guy, it's pretty obvious to me that the players are waiting for this to happen and I'm over 3000 miles away on Vancouver Island.

Just read the comments from the fans. They're not idiots and they've had enough.

Sabres are so delusional - it's sad how bad it is there - it's probably worse than in Philadelphia right now - and that says something

I agree it's bad.

Even if Rolston is the problem, it's still a Regier problem for not even bothering to interview anyone else.

That's right sf. He hired him so it's on him. Pegula is too soft when it comes to making the tough choices. The TV ratings are down and the tickets available on game days aren't selling. Who is going to shell out their money to watch a loser? Pegula better wake up and do the right thing and he better do it soon.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Basically this is it in a nutshell.

Regier has failed to bring in the talent he needs to win. That applies to players, coaches or any combination of the two. He just seems complacent as GM the last few years.

I will say this. If he isn't fired soon you almost have to keep him for a few more years. This year's deadline could make or break the Sabres rebuilding plan.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i heard a semi-apologist sabres newspaper guy (with an apparent inferiority complex ???) on vancouver radio prior to the game against the canucks last week (when asked whether they should have gone out and went after one of the available coaches in the summer) say that the big name coaches like AV or Torts wouldnt have come to Buffalo

then I here Torts says that he had 6 of the best years of his life in Buffalo as an assistant coach and loves the Buffalo area :noidea:

Was it Rolstons idea to play Grigorenko on the 4th line with John Scott or did Regier tell him to?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard a semi-apologist sabres newspaper guy (with an apparent inferiority complex ???) on vancouver radio prior to the game against the canucks last week (when asked whether they should have gone out and went after one of the available coaches in the summer) say that the big name coaches like AV or Torts wouldnt have come to Buffalo

then I here Torts says that he had 6 of the best years of his life in Buffalo as an assistant coach and loves the Buffalo area :noidea:

Was it Rolstons idea to play Grigorenko on the 4th line with John Scott or did Regier tell him to?

Probably Rolston.

Regier is to blame for Grigorenko even being in Buffalo in the first place. If you watch him play, he is absolutely 100% not ready for the NHL yet. He looks completely lost out there ALL THE TIME.

IMO, Rolston made the right move demoting him because he doesn't belong on the ice.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Rolston.

Regier is to blame for Grigorenko even being in Buffalo in the first place. If you watch him play, he is absolutely 100% not ready for the NHL yet. He looks completely lost out there ALL THE TIME.

IMO, Rolston made the right move demoting him because he doesn't belong on the ice.

Unfortunately he is not going to improve his NHL skills playing with Scott and McCormick. He's better off in Rochester.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Rolston.

I think it's two fold - it's Darcy's fault for even having John Scott on the roster, if he makes the right roster, Ron Rolston's decisions may not look as bad

But I agree, Ron Rolston eventually made the right decision by demoting Grigs - he doesn't look ready one bit

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately he is not going to improve his NHL skills playing with Scott and McCormick. He's better off in Rochester.

Agreed. But I think Regier has to make the decision to send him to Rochester.

So there we are again.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right sf. He hired him so it's on him. Pegula is too soft when it comes to making the tough choices. The TV ratings are down and the tickets available on game days aren't selling. Who is going to shell out their money to watch a loser?

This is sometimes that bothers me about fans. People only want to go to games if the team is winning. Winning or losing if I had the money I'd pay to go to games. That fair weather fan bullshit is annoying

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is sometimes that bothers me about fans. People only want to go to games if the team is winning. Winning or losing if I had the money I'd pay to go to games. That fair weather fan bullshit is annoying

The Sabres fans have shown they are among the best in the NHL (at least in the states) they have supported this team through many lean years but sooner or later (esp in a shitty economy) people need to make tough choices with what they intend to do with their limited entertainment dollars. Esp when they know damn well this problem can be fixed.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sometimes the best (and only) way for fans to send a message/demand change is by not showing up.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think people would still be there every game if it weren't for the way the team is handling it.

It's not a fair weather fan thing so much as a disgruntled fan thing. When your team sucks, you at least expect them to make an effort to get better. Whether that's signing some free agents, getting a new coach or a new GM, or going into full-on rebuild by trading away some veterans for picks.

But when the team does nothing by keeping the same shitty GM who doesn't sign anyone, doesn't trade anyone, and hires his interim coach without interviewing a single candidate and the owner refuses to even admit that the GM is doing something wrong, people get pissed.

And in a city like Buffalo where disposable income isn't exactly overflowing from everyone's pockets, they use their wallet to show their displeasure.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, who is out there on the market available to replace either Rolston or Regier?

Laviolette among the coaching ranks, who else? Messier seems to think he's a coach.

There's always Howson and Pierre Macguire for the GM role.

Slim pickins, it seems.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pickins are thin 43 but right now I'd settle for Reggie Dunlop. I would like to see them go after Rick Dudley.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pickins are thin 43 but right now I'd settle for Reggie Dunlop. I would like to see them go after Rick Dudley.

I don't want Dudley personally.

There was an article in the Buffalo News last week tossing about some names for the GM position. Mostly young guys who would be first time GMs. I don't remember any of the names off the top of my head other than Botterill, but there were a few solid options.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Dudley personally.

There was an article in the Buffalo News last week tossing about some names for the GM position. Mostly young guys who would be first time GMs. I don't remember any of the names off the top of my head other than Botterill, but there were a few solid options.

I've heard his name thrown around a lot too sabrefan. I know they can't just make a change to make a change but I wonder why they are so high on Botterill? There must be a reason, I'm talking about his name being tossed around nationally not just here.