• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Venables on the Hot Seat at OU?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy world of college football we live in now.

6 games in as a 1st year head coach, is Venables on the hot seat?

21 days ago, they were 3-0, ranked #6 in the country with CFP aspirations after hammering my Huskers at home.

3 games later, they are 0-3 in the B12 and have given up 500+ yards on defense and 40+ points in each game and are in the basement of the Big 12.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked to see 49-0 while looking at scores on my phone at work, I had to do a double take.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't tell me they were doing the 3-2-6 defensive look on Texas or did OU just give up?

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Lincoln Riley left Oklahoma for more reasons than just money. Could he have seen this coming?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Lincoln Riley left Oklahoma for more reasons than just money. Could he have seen this coming?

Nah. But a portion of this is the result of him leaving.

Not so much what he took with him to USC as, while he did take a couple of important pieces (like a Heisman candidate QB), it's more about the talent that left for other programs because Lincoln Riley left and was being replaced by a 1st year head coach.

Oklahoma was able to use the portal to replace what they lost in the portal. But when considering they have a 1st year head coach, I doubt most of what they got was the same level or higher than what they lost.

Compare to USC who also lost a lot of players to the portal, but got a well known coach with HC experience and was able to not only replace what they lost, but in many cases, upgraded.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not so much what he took with him to USC as, while he did take a couple of important pieces (like a Heisman candidate QB), it's more about the talent that left for other programs because Lincoln Riley left and was being replaced by a 1st year head coach.

Oklahoma was able to use the portal to replace what they lost in the portal. But when considering they have a 1st year head coach, I doubt most of what they got was the same level or higher than what they lost.

Compare to USC who also lost a lot of players to the portal, but got a well known coach with HC experience and was able to not only replace what they lost, but in many cases, upgraded.
No particular argument but he probably saw that what you point out was true. That is, Oklahoma not being able to replace the same level of quality they were losing.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Personally, I think one of the reasons Kelly left ND was because of the
ND transfer policy. You cannot transfer into ND after your sophomore year unless it is from their approved junior college. Unless they change the admissions policy or at least make special exceptions, the portal will hurt them but not ever help except in the case of grad students with remaining eligibility.
I think ND is philosophically opposed to bestowing a Notre Dame degree on someone who only attended 2 or even less, 1 year at the school.

I doubt any of the elite universities will accept senior transfers from directional state schools. Probably not from anywhere other than possibly (though not likely) another elite academic school.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No particular argument but he probably saw that what you point out was true. That is, Oklahoma not being able to replace the same level of quality they were losing.

Maybe.

Also, I don't know what Oklahoma has set up as far as NIL. Maybe he didn't feel they could match or beat what other schools could?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think one of the reasons Kelly left ND was because of the
ND transfer policy. You cannot transfer into ND after your sophomore year unless it is from their approved junior college. Unless they change the admissions policy or at least make special exceptions, the portal will hurt them but not ever help except in the case of grad students with remaining eligibility.
I think ND is philosophically opposed to bestowing a Notre Dame degree on someone who only attended 2 or even less, 1 year at the school.

I doubt any of the elite universities will accept senior transfers from directional state schools. Probably not from anywhere other than possibly (though not likely) another elite academic school.

Yeah, Notre Dame does seem to have some self imposed recruiting disadvantages. Seems like every coach they hire has the same complaint re: admissions, but the only one that could ever convince them to loosen them for football was Lou Holtz...

and as soon as he left, they tightened them up again.

Think McFly Think

Unaware and Oblivious Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Notre Dame does seem to have some self imposed recruiting disadvantages. Seems like every coach they hire has the same complaint re: admissions, but the only one that could ever convince them to loosen them for football was Lou Holtz...

and as soon as he left, they tightened them up again.
Anytime I see a Lou Holtz name drop, I feel compelled to post this. Lol

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe.

Also, I don't know what Oklahoma has set up as far as NIL. Maybe he didn't feel they could match or beat what other schools could?
Interesting that you bring up the NIL. It will take a few years, but I think major shift will take place even within the Power Conferences.
NILs (except for a few rare players) are not national in scope.
For example, Mississippi State in Starkville, is competing for a top 20 player with Cental Florida. The local car dealer might be selling 2000 cars per month. A dealer in Orlando with multiple outlets sells 20000 per year. Who can offer the player more.
Schools in big metropolitan areas with benefit the most. Schools, regardless of history, in rural towns where the school is main reason the town exists will suffer the most.
If they play the game well, the following schools should do great, Georgia Tech, Central Florida, South Florida, Pittsburg, Arizona State, Colorado, Washington, California, SC, UCLA, Texas, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Miami.
Private schools could also do well, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Boston College, SMU, TCU, Stanford, Tulane, ND (with its Chicago connection.
And those are just the football schools.
I am not sure how offensive linemen will do. You only see their face sporadically on the sideline and only hear their name after a penalty. Cornerbacks and linebackers will do well and running backs and some receivers.
QBs of course will do the best. But at some point, animosity can set in between the QB with the corvette and the guard with his family's 8-year-old Ford.

Basketball players will do better than football players. First there are not as many. The really good ones are on the floor for most of the game. And close ups of their face occur on every free throw. The marketing pros will soon grow to like that.