• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riley Reiff at Left Tackle

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz didn't exactly give him a glowing endorsement in his quote in the Free Press this morning. Then again, maybe I am reading too much into what he said?

“We drafted him as a left tackle,” Schwartz said. “Probably with the way things ended up here, we’ll probably start him off there. We have a lot of confidence in him. I mean, that’s why we drafted him last year.”

If he would have left out the part of the quote I put in bold, the statement would have sounded a heck of alot better.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reiff looks more like a RT or even a LG on this offense. If we were an offense like the Vikings then he would project fine at LT.

As long as Raiola is the Center, we will still have problems on the inside, even with Warford. Also, RT is still a huge question mark. That side will be attacked by opponents until they prove themselves.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly they started him at TE. I see the way you read it and it makes sense. Second interpretation could be... had Backus stayed Reiff was RT one more year then LT. Thirdly... Mayhew said. OH SHIT Gym Shorts our future( G/T) is now our LT!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly they started him at TE. I see the way you read it and it makes sense. Second interpretation could be... had Backus stayed Reiff was RT one more year then LT. Thirdly... Mayhew said. OH SHIT Gym Shorts our future( G/T) is now our LT!!

Yeah -- I wasn't really sure how to interpret the quote. The "we'll probably start him off there", makes me feel as though Reiff will be the LT because he is the only option. Also makes me feel as though the Lions will be actively going after one of the OL on the FA market and if they can sign a better option, Reiff will be playing elsewhere on the line.

Then again -- I could be reading way too much into the quote.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm thinking there was a period of time where he was regarded as Gosders replacement short term. (As it didn't seem he was encouraged to stay). Or even Petermans if the brass likes Jason Fox as much as Paulus does. But with JB being done, they must play the hand they're dealt.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions had to give Reiff a shot at LT. He was the 2nd tackle taken last year and a first rounder. If he doesn't pan out then the Lions know they have to go back to looking for their LT.

What troubles me is the lack of support behind Reiff. He played very sparingly last year, he has been rumored to be a guard, a RT, and now back to LT. And i was created by Schwartz and Mayhews comments.

If it was me I would have said nothing has changed Reiff is the LT and if they would have ended up with Fisher, Joeckel, or Johnson then they say Reif is the LT unless he gets beaten out.

The whole shell game about where he will line up only has fans questioning Mayhews judgement of talent.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a big ol Iowa lineman. You'll be OK.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a big ol Iowa lineman. You'll be OK.

Robert Gallery begs to differ. LOL.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What it all boils down to, Schwartz doesn't know if Reiff is going to be any good. Noone does. The Lions drafted him with the expectations that he could fill that role, and this year they are expecting him to do it. Ball is in Reiff's court now.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- I wasn't really sure how to interpret the quote. The "we'll probably start him off there", makes me feel as though Reiff will be the LT because he is the only option. Also makes me feel as though the Lions will be actively going after one of the OL on the FA market and if they can sign a better option, Reiff will be playing elsewhere on the line.

Then again -- I could be reading way too much into the quote.

The most telling part of the quote to me - besides usaying probably twice in one sentence - is Schwartz saying "Probably with the way things ended up here [referring to the draft]...we'll start him off there."

In other words, since we weren't able get our LT in the draft, we'll put Reiff there by default. We kind of knew that, but to hear him say it...not good.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In other words, since we weren't able get our LT in the draft, we'll put Reiff there by default. We kind of knew that, but to hear him say it...not good.

I agree with this interpretation. Some people have said that Ziggy was the pick ever since the Senior Bowl. I disagree. I think Ziggy was the "Plan B" pick ever since the Senior Bowl IF all three of the elite LT prospects were off the board.

I think "Plan A" for our first draft pick was always a LT as soon as it was clear that we were losing both starting tackles in the offseason. Everything Schwartz says and all of the free agency moves certainly seems to support this.

However, that doesn't mean we should fret. Personally, I think it's a blessing in disguise that the Lions didn't get to go with their "Plan A". To be honest, based on past history I don't trust their "Plan A." I'm glad Lane Johnson was off the board and we were forced to go with Ziggy.

But this does put us in scamble mode to address the LT position. Who knows what will end up happening, but be assured of one thing. Despite the media spin game, Riley Reiff is NOT the Lions preference to start the season at LT. He is like "Plan Z" for that position. The wheels are currently in motion at a frantic pace behind the scenes trying to find a way to protect Stafford better than the current OL depth chart projects.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most telling part of the quote to me - besides usaying probably twice in one sentence - is Schwartz saying "Probably with the way things ended up here [referring to the draft]...we'll start him off there."

Agree with what jayfan said. It makes me nervous to hear the coach talk like this. Also makes me nervous when they say the guy who is the likely candidate for RT spot is Corey Hilliard and he has 5 career starts and given up 5 sacks (according to the article).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Gallery went to the WRONG team!

Thank you. Name one Raider not named Nnamdi who hasn't busted in the last decade?

Backus now Reiff. This fan base is LTphobic.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think reiff went to the right team......detroit likes to throw the ball 50 times a game....isnt reiff more of a mauler built for a 49ers type offense?

I feel more confident in reiff at LT more than i have confidence in whoever wins the bestguyavailableforRT award.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backus now Reiff. This fan base is LTphobic.
Amen Swarm.

Reiff hasn't even had a chance yet and the "realists" are already throwing him under the bus.

If he doesn't make the All Pro team this year we're going to spend all next offseason hearing about what a bust he is.

It's all about perception, imo. Mayhew drafted him, so there's going to be a certain segment of the fanbase who will never like him. Had Bill Parcells drafted him he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread, though...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Bill Parcells drafted him he'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread, though...

Funny you say this. Back when Parcells drafted Jake Long I was telling anyone who would listen what a mistake it was passing on Matt Ryan (as part of the Pro-Stafford crowd the next year vs. the Jason Smith crowd who were mesmerized by Parcells Jake Long pick the year before). The main argument against me was "I'm sure Bill Parcells knows what he is doing!"

5 years later, Jake Long is injured, overrated and playing in St. Louis and Miami is rebuilding with a new (far crappier) QB, while Matt Ryan is taking the Falcons to the playoffs every year.

So ya, I totally agree with you. Thing is, Mayhew has yet to botch any 1st round picks. It's after the 1st round where fans should be worried.