• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Bryan Danielson to AEW

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know much about Hayes and I want this so badly to be true but i would trust Sapp, Metzler, Lagunia etc... more

Honestly. Do a NWO type thing with Punk as head

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust the source. Not known for breaking any major stories. For what its worth though, Sean Ross Sapp, who has basically become the go to source over the last couple of years, has said on Twitter that Haynes "does know people in AEW". However, Sapp hasn't confirmed the report.

I also find it suspect that AEW, a place that hasn't had many if any leaks, had the CM Punk news and Daniel Bryan news leak out on the same day. Those are two HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE signings. They've been good about keeping things under wraps usually until hours before the show. Andrade and Black didn't get leaked until just before the show. Mox was a total surprise. Point is, when they want to, they can keep a secret. I don't think you let signings like this get out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust the source. Not known for breaking any major stories. For what its worth though, Sean Ross Sapp, who has basically become the go to source over the last couple of years, has said on Twitter that Haynes "does know people in AEW". However, Sapp hasn't confirmed the report.

I also find it suspect that AEW, a place that hasn't had many if any leaks, had the CM Punk news and Daniel Bryan news leak out on the same day. Those are two HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE signings. They've been good about keeping things under wraps usually until hours before the show. Andrade and Black didn't get leaked until just before the show. Mox was a total surprise. Point is, when they want to, they can keep a secret. I don't think you let signings like this get out.
Yeah, but Punk and Bryan are bigger stars than all of the rest combined.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My Quote for today are 7 Words that i was saying in the NHL Board and the Seahawks board for the leaks of the Kraken Expansion draft:

"I'll believe it when I see it"

No argument here. It's only the source that is in question

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you saying they're big enough to where its impossible to keep it under wraps? I think there's some merit to that but I'm not sure I support that fully. Based on some of the past surprise debuts, Tony Khan has mentioned the way they pull them off is very few people know. I think I read the Black debut, only TK and a couple of the EVPs knew and that's it. No one else in the company knew until Black showed up at the arena (someone backstage then leaked to Sapp hours before the show). Tony Khan is basically just a big fucking mark like us who just happens to be stupid rich. He knows the value of an awesome surprise like this. So for this, I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't just negotiate with Punk or Bryan and leave literally everyone else out of it. The less people know, the less likely it is to get out. So that's why I'm skeptical of this right now, especially the part about Bryan's debut that was supposedly in September. That's too far off and would for sure get out. They've always kept things close to the vest.

FWIW, the Punk story didn't say he was signing with AEW. Sapp said he's talked about returning and been in talks with multiple companies but WWE people "believe" Punk is going to AEW. So its people not directly involved speculating, not leaking. So maybe the info wasn't leaked by anyone in the company and WWE is intentionally trying to spoil things by saying "we tried signing these guys. So far they said no so they must be going there".

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is that they're trying to sell those last 1000 tickets or whatever is left to the Arthur Ashe stadium show and getting some potential buzz going for it with those two guys rumored to possibly be coming in might just put it there.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying they're big enough to where its impossible to keep it under wraps? I think there's some merit to that but I'm not sure I support that fully. Based on some of the past surprise debuts, Tony Khan has mentioned the way they pull them off is very few people know. I think I read the Black debut, only TK and a couple of the EVPs knew and that's it. No one else in the company knew until Black showed up at the arena (someone backstage then leaked to Sapp hours before the show). Tony Khan is basically just a big fucking mark like us who just happens to be stupid rich. He knows the value of an awesome surprise like this. So for this, I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't just negotiate with Punk or Bryan and leave literally everyone else out of it. The less people know, the less likely it is to get out. So that's why I'm skeptical of this right now, especially the part about Bryan's debut that was supposedly in September. That's too far off and would for sure get out. They've always kept things close to the vest.

FWIW, the Punk story didn't say he was signing with AEW. Sapp said he's talked about returning and been in talks with multiple companies but WWE people "believe" Punk is going to AEW. So its people not directly involved speculating, not leaking. So maybe the info wasn't leaked by anyone in the company and WWE is intentionally trying to spoil things by saying "we tried signing these guys. So far they said no so they must be going there".
Well TNT came down with mandate I thought about how no more surprises because they want ratings. If Tony Khan is as smart as he thinks he is he should be negotiating with Punk and Bryan without the Bucks, Cody or Omega anywhere near the negotiations.

I can’t imagine Punk or Bryan honestly signing without some serious creative control in their contracts. But truthfully if I were Tony I wouldn’t touch Punk. He wasn’t a great wrestler to begin with and has been so hyped up that it would be a massive letdown. With Bryan is it so weird because he wants to be a family man so the rumors of him wanting to be able to wrestle in Japan and Mexico according to all reports on him. Realistically he should just resign for millions with WWE and make sporadic appearances.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Meltzer didn't confirm Bryan to AEW last night but he didn't dismiss the report either. It sounds like he's headed there. I'm shocked he would leave- thought he was a WWE lifer. Meltzer made it sound like the ability to work NJPW was the deciding factor.

Their star power is obviously huge but Bryan/Punk are both so creative that they could be game changers in the presentation of the show too. If this plays out as expected I can see Dynamite beating Raw at least a couple times this September during the football season.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess is that they're trying to sell those last 1000 tickets or whatever is left to the Arthur Ashe stadium show and getting some potential buzz going for it with those two guys rumored to possibly be coming in might just put it there.

It sucks because I already had tickets for the Newark show as a reschedule pre-Pandemic show. Didn't get tickets to NYC for that reason.

Tbh that Arthur Ashe show is already a virtual sellout and will be completely full by the day of regardless of these rumours. They might be leaking it for PPV buys, ticket sales in other markets etc

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meltzer didn't confirm Bryan to AEW last night but he didn't dismiss the report either. It sounds like he's headed there. I'm shocked he would leave- thought he was a WWE lifer. Meltzer made it sound like the ability to work NJPW was the deciding factor.

Their star power is obviously huge but Bryan/Punk are both so creative that they could be game changers in the presentation of the show too. If this plays out as expected I can see Dynamite beating Raw at least a couple times this September during the football season.
Do agree that he wants the Moxley and Jericho type deal where he can work in other countries. But do disagree about it beating RAW this year. They’re still a ways away in viewership numbers for that to happen in my opinion.
It sucks because I already had tickets for the Newark show as a reschedule pre-Pandemic show. Didn't get tickets to NYC for that reason.

Tbh that Arthur Ashe show is already a virtual sellout and will be completely full by the day of regardless of these rumours. They might be leaking it for PPV buys, ticket sales in other markets etc
Maybe to help All Out sales in Chicago if they haven’t sold out yet with the Punk rumors though wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Adding to the Meltzer stuff, the blurb I read said and Alverez were talking on their podcast a few weeks back that AEW was working on 4 signings this Summer, two fairly big and two big. He said today those names were Andrade, Black, Bryan and Punk. So they already got two of them.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Do agree that he wants the Moxley and Jericho type deal where he can work in other countries. But do disagree about it beating RAW this year. They’re still a ways away in viewership numbers for that to happen in my opinion.

On a week to week basis Raw wins pretty handily but Raws low point in total viewership was 1.4 Million and Dynamite's peak was 1.2 Million. With the NFL season (particularly the week 1 MNF doubleheader) in early September hurting Raw right as Bryan/Punk debut it seems very possible unless WWE goes all out that month (Rock, Brock, title changes etc).

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Adding to the Meltzer stuff, the blurb I read said and Alverez were talking on their podcast a few weeks back that AEW was working on 4 signings this Summer, two fairly big and two big. He said today those names were Andrade, Black, Bryan and Punk. So they already got two of them.

I'm not a subcriber but they posted the whole conversation for free on their YouTube channel. The tone of it made Bryan sound like a strong possibility..

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a week to week basis Raw wins pretty handily but Raws low point in total viewership was 1.4 Million and Dynamite's peak was 1.2 Million. With the NFL season (particularly the week 1 MNF doubleheader) in early September hurting Raw right as Bryan/Punk debut it seems very possible unless WWE goes all out that month (Rock, Brock, title changes etc).
But how long will that last? Bryan and Punk will get initial interest sure but would AEW be able to keep that interest up? AEW first needs to show that they can consistently get over one million viewers a week for any thoughts of surpassing RAW to be worth thinking about.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But how long will that last? Bryan and Punk will get initial interest sure but would AEW be able to keep that interest up? AEW first needs to show that they can consistently get over one million viewers a week for any thoughts of surpassing RAW to be worth thinking about.

Oh yeah, I don't see Dynamite surpassing Raw in the long term but this September is the perfect storm for a cable wrestling show to beat WWE for the first time in 22 years...

- Raw has to deal with a Labor day audience on the first Monday and then football the rest of the month
-Dynamite gets All Out hype and fallout, shows with 10-15 thousand fans in Chi/NY area, possible appearances by Punk and Danielson.

If Raw doesn't pull out their own major surprise I can see them at 1.5 million total viewers and AEW surpassing them on a few week basis

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be cool to see Daniel Bryan play someone other than Daniel Bryan.

I have never really seen him do any other kind of gimmick.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be cool to see Daniel Bryan play someone other than Daniel Bryan.

I have never really seen him do any other kind of gimmick.

"Bryan Danielson" and "Daniel Bryan" are basically the same guy. His time on the indies, he wasn't all that much different than what you saw in WWE. A little more free flowing conversation wise maybe, but that's basically everyone outside of WWE.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bryan Danielson" and "Daniel Bryan" are basically the same guy. His time on the indies, he wasn't all that much different than what you saw in WWE. A little more free flowing conversation wise maybe, but that's basically everyone outside of WWE.
I thought he always credited WWE for giving him personality.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see why both would sign with AEW over WWE. WWE isn't going to give either the creative control or freedom they desire.

Bryan has mentioned wanting to wrestle in Japan, AEW will allow that while WWE will not. Based on how things have gone in the past year AEW would also give him a shot to wrestle in AAA, Impact, and whatever indies he wanted to work.

Punk wants to pick his shots. He wants specific opponents, and we all know from the end of his WWE run he wants to control his own narrative. Just like with Bryan if Punk wanted to work with someone elsewhere (like a Will Osprey or Zach Sabre Jr) AEW is far more likely to give him that freedom.

Plus both are getting up there in age and the fact that AEW isn't doing house shows probably is appealing both from the wear and tear/away from home factor and the freedom to pursue other opportunities angle.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he always credited WWE for giving him personality.

He got more comfortable on camera basically. He was sorta awkward beforehand.